Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,558 times

Advertisements

Paterson, Paterson, Paterson. I love my Paterson. Mr. Wilson, Deeniwho, Bishop Maddness, the Almighty says to every one; Please, Please Please heed my message of warning, You don't have to live like the "ghetto" you were born in. Let's Go P-Town (Paterson)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,508 times
I am 43 years old and have lived in Paterson all my life. Back in the 80's I used to go and read under a tree at the Great Falls every afternoon and hang out there in the evenings. I always felt very safe and never had any problems. I still park my car in the driveway every night and I never have to lock it. Nothing ever happened on my block to this day. It is not what it used to be but it is certainly not a "dump" or extremely dangerous! It is the same as any other urban community. You just have to watch your surroundings when you go out at night. If you ask me, the schools have definitely declined since I was in school and I blame the horrible teachers they employ in Paterson. I mean, some teachers go to school drunk or high and they even buy drugs off the "drugdealer" students (J.F.K.H.S.)!
I sent my kids to military school in Fort Dix and they are just fine. I would not send them to school in Paterson. I guess crime will go up now that Christie layed off 159 police officers in Paterson and you can blame him for that.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:32 PM

36 posts, read 88,242 times
Is Paterson, NJ dangerous?

Could switching to Geico save you 15% on your car insurance?

Old 02-24-2011, 04:50 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNJRacer View Post
Is Paterson, NJ dangerous?

Could switching to Geico save you 15% on your car insurance?
this is FUNNY!!!!!!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:30 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Now I know where Lou Costello got his humor from...

Old 02-25-2011, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,473 times
okay when my dad was a teenager hes 47 right now. he said it was horrible. HE was a red head white kid that went to eastside high when it was at its worst. And from what i heard my dad has been in ALOT of fights. And has never lost one does that mean he is tough?

Old 03-21-2011, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,386 times
Paterson IS extremely dangerous, are u ppl nuts???
U seriously think by misleading people that are thinking of moving in, makes u look cool/tough?

I know paterson like the back of my hand, and I know there are decent sections, but there are some sections that are so bad that u almost definetly will get attacked walking down the block.
I will tell you some of the bad areas(keep in mind that there is many more bad areas, but these are the serious spots u must avoid!)

Wrigley Park section AKA 4th Ward. IMO most dangerous part. if u r white, latino, asian, hell...even if u are black and not from the area... u can not walk from one side of blvd to other without getting attacked!
this area spans from E.16th to Straight street (east-west) and from Broadway to Lafayette (north/south) ...STEER CLEAR OF THIS AREA AT ALL COST. ALL THE STREETS WITHIN THIS AREA IS REALLY, REALLY BAD! If you are white, you have more of a chance being violated by a police officer. They are quick to violate your rights out there! And give u criminal charges when doing absolutely nothing wrong!!

Northside (Temple to haledon ave. & Presidential blvd up to N.5th) This area is pretty dangerous too, not nearly as bad as 4th ward, but this area is not great at all!

5th ave Projects (do not go inside the projects across from Home Depot) this area spans from 5th to 7th ave. and from Rt 20 to E26th street.

Alabama projects have been closed/demolished! So that whole area is now very decent. All the streets with higher numbers E30th st and up are NICE AREAS! Avenues with high numbers as well...
Riverside area is decent. from 1st ave up til like 8th ave (with the exception of the 5th ave projects).
South Paterson is decent, and i feel safe from Crooks ave up to market st. And Downtown area Is safe because it is the shopping center.

Now keep in mind, these few BAD areas i mentioned are NOT the only bad areas in Paterson.
If you are concerned with a specific area, then just ask me, i will tell you all about it!
I know paterson like the back of my hand. I have lived here pretty much all my life.

Paterson is a nice/historical city is some areas, but like most NJ cities, there are some REALLY BAD areas that u must stay away from!! Risk of mugging, rape, or murder multiplies by visiting the above mentioned bad areas. The safe areas i mentioned are not like SUPER SAFE areas where u can let your guard down. Trust me. Never let your guard down in any NJ City.

Be safe, be careful, and if your looking to buy realestate in Paterson because u have a good deal on the table, make sure you really check into it!
Take into account costs of private schools for ur kids, u might be better off in one of the surrounding towns. Although more expensive, theey are much safer.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patersonian View Post

Some of the comments I'm reading here are embarrassing. How many cities in America with 100,000+ in population don't have bad areas?
Round Rock, Texas doesn't.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:46 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Round Rock, Texas doesn't.
Round Rock crime increasing | KXAN.com

Not exempt.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:32 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptown View Post
but like most NJ cities, there are some REALLY BAD areas that u must stay away from!!
Like most cities in The United States. Like most cities around the world.
You need to get out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey