Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 06:13 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times

Advertisements

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
Paterson sucks. My sister lived there for a long time she moved to a better place finally. Downtown is really filthy and scary and unfriendly people abound. Wayne is better, but I overall do not like anything close to NYC
This is true. 15 yrs ago i used to drop my wife off at at St. Joe's early in the morning. Main St. looked like a garbage truck drove down and dumped garbage in the street instead of picking it up. My parents are from NYC and if ypu dropped a wrapper on the street your mom or dad would give you one to the back of the head. Not so anymore. The street's like an open sewer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 06:36 AM

908 posts, read 1,555,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortdawg1 View Post
i agree with you a hundred and ten percent i work on cell phone towers and i was in jersey working im a redneck live in south carolina i grew up learning to not be afraid of s*** there is now and will always be things in this world that can hurt me and you learn instinct of knowing when you see it and when i went threw paterson it looked like a tv show about gangs or dangerous places or something straight ghetto with couches on the sidewalk haha i had my windows rolled down blasting country music and every black person i went passed staring me down so i just give em the go to hell look right back at red lights and everything nothing happened no threat givin cause we aint promised 2mar im living now and i aint afraid of dying cause we are all born to die but it did not look like a very safe place to people who would be intimidated or scared of seeing what you will see riding those streets. but as long as you hold your own and dont give nothing nor let anyone take you will be alright. Just like us out here hell our houses are pertected by the good lord and a gun and you might meet em both if ya show up here not welcomed son.
The longest run on sentence award goes to.... In all seriousness, you think it is good southern manners to blast your music in a strange place, and give them a "go to hell look"? The black people right, because Paterson has NO whites? I guarantee you the white people were looking at you funny too, because there just isn't that many folks in the area like you, especially giving black folks a nasty look. You have some damn nerve. I feel safer in Paterson, than I do in the redneck Pa town I live in now. Most of the crime in Paterson is between criminals. Here in Pa, the cowards love their guns, and love to express their racism. As long as they have a gun of course, because most couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag, or speak a complete and grammatically correct sentence.

Last edited by colorfulchic83; 04-30-2013 at 07:44 AM..

Old 04-30-2013, 06:40 AM

513 posts, read 1,167,319 times
There are administrative/financial issues facing Paterson. The 25% cuts to the police force in Paterson recently are catastrophic, too. I worked in Paterson for 20+ years. It needs to be a bigger rail center or it will continue to decline. As for the comment about the sofas on the street, I would bet that it was following the flooding. It certainly isn't the lifestyle. There are many hard-working, proud people in the city. And the court house area couldn't be any safer. St. Joe's is generally very safe, too.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
well ill tell you this i live in a little a** town in south carolina with no more then 5 maybe 6000 people our school is pre-k threw 12th grade together everyone is in one school and there are 600 students our town has 5 and 6 yr olds that roam the streets playing and riding bikes no one locks there doors nor do they worry cause everyone knows everyone and where they live and will kill anyone that steals or pushs us across that line common sense yea u need that everywhere.. but if u come from the north to the most southern people in the world and blow a horn at us at a red light or say something outta the way thats your a**. everyone helps everyone and you protect yourself and family and friends all the same we dont involve cops in our problems you settle em all yourself the way you want to dont ask dont tell.
Yes, because the 1st rule of responsible parenting is to let 5 & 6 year olds roam the streets unattended because after all, everyone knows everyone. Its common sense to kill someone for stealing, or blowing the horn at you. The epitome of a law abiding, gun loving citizen is definitely one who does NOT involve the police, and covers up crimes, particularly for their family & friends? Hmmm..... Sounds like a gang to me!!!!

Being white doesn't make your crimes right. Take that mess back down south.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne10 View Post
There are administrative/financial issues facing Paterson. The 25% cuts to the police force in Paterson recently are catastrophic, too. I worked in Paterson for 20+ years. It needs to be a bigger rail center or it will continue to decline. As for the comment about the sofas on the street, I would bet that it was following the flooding. It certainly isn't the lifestyle. There are many hard-working, proud people in the city. And the court house area couldn't be any safer. St. Joe's is generally very safe, too.
Its funny, because aside from the floods, as you said, I have not seen sofas on the street in Paterson. I do see them every day in the red-neck Pa area I live in. I see them dumped on the side of the roads, in forests, in parks, ughhh the dumping is nasty, and the yards filled with filth make the entire neighborhood stink, especially in summer. Some people, including "liberals" from the suburbs, have no clue what's behind the problems in cities like Paterson, and frankly I doubt they care. I <3 Paterson, always will. If there were more single family rentals I'd go right back, especially S.Paterson on the Clifton border, with all the restaurants and produce shops.

Last edited by colorfulchic83; 04-30-2013 at 07:41 AM..

Old 04-30-2013, 07:18 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
i agree with you a hundred and ten percent i work on cell phone towers and i was in jersey working im a redneck live in south carolina i grew up learning to not be afraid of s*** there is now and will always be things in this world that can hurt me and you learn instinct of knowing when you see it and when i went threw paterson it looked like a tv show about gangs or dangerous places or something straight ghetto with couches on the sidewalk haha i had my windows rolled down blasting country music and every black person i went passed staring me down so i just give em the go to hell look right back at red lights and everything nothing happened no threat givin cause we aint promised 2mar im living now and i aint afraid of dying cause we are all born to die but it did not look like a very safe place to people who would be intimidated or scared of seeing what you will see riding those streets. but as long as you hold your own and dont give nothing nor let anyone take you will be alright. Just like us out here hell our houses are pertected by the good lord and a gun and you might meet em both if ya show up here not welcomed son.

Quote:
well ill tell you this i live in a little a** town in south carolina with no more then 5 maybe 6000 people our school is pre-k threw 12th grade together everyone is in one school and there are 600 students our town has 5 and 6 yr olds that roam the streets playing and riding bikes no one locks there doors nor do they worry cause everyone knows everyone and where they live and will kill anyone that steals or pushs us across that line common sense yea u need that everywhere.. but if u come from the north to the most southern people in the world and blow a horn at us at a red light or say something outta the way thats your a**. everyone helps everyone and you protect yourself and family and friends all the same we dont involve cops in our problems you settle em all yourself the way you want to dont ask dont tell.

...and, clearly, those South Carolina schools have an excellent English curriculum...

Last edited by Retriever; 04-30-2013 at 07:29 AM..

Old 04-30-2013, 07:43 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
Its funny because aside from the floods as you said, I have not seen sofas on the street in Paterson. I do see them every day in the red-neck Pa area I live in, dumped on the side of the roads, in forests, in parks, ughhh the dumping is nasty, and the yards filled with filth make the entire neighborhood stink, especially in summer. Some people, including "liberals" from the suburbs have no clue what's behind the problems in cities like Paterson, and frankly I doubt they care. I <3 Paterson, always will. If there were more single family rentals I'd go right back, especially S.Paterson on the Clifton border, with all the restaurants and produce shops.
That's something I miss living down here in Monmouth County. Used to love to run to the farmer's market off of Getty Avenue in Paterson early on a Sunday morning, especially this time of year. You could get plants for the garden, plus fresh produce at a good price, even fresh eggs from a farmer if you got there early enough because they'd sell out so fast. In the summer you could get a whole basket of peppers or tomatoes for a couple of dollars. The stores there were good, too. They sold huge bags of potatoes--a couple of friends and I used to buy one and split them up.

There is a "farmer's market" in Red Bank on Sundays, but it's not a true farmer's market--just a bunch of booths with way overpriced goods.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's something I miss living down here in Monmouth County. Used to love to run to the farmer's market off of Getty Avenue in Paterson early on a Sunday morning, especially this time of year. You could get plants for the garden, plus fresh produce at a good price, even fresh eggs from a farmer if you got there early enough because they'd sell out so fast. In the summer you could get a whole basket of peppers or tomatoes for a couple of dollars. The stores there were good, too. They sold huge bags of potatoes--a couple of friends and I used to buy one and split them up.

There is a "farmer's market" in Red Bank on Sundays, but it's not a true farmer's market--just a bunch of booths with way overpriced goods.
OMG, I miss it so much! I go there to shop 2x a month. I haven't been there in so long because the weather here is unpredictable coming down around the mountain in the long winter, but as soon my kids complete their last major school assignments I'm going to visit. I spend 1/2, and sometimes 1/3 of what I do here in produce when I shop on Getty Ave. Fresh produce here is not at all cheap, nor is it very fresh, and the variety is scant. You are right, you need to get there early for the best buys. My husband jokes when we go and says, "OK, time to fight all the old ladies for the best produce." Its still awesome, and just beautiful, seeing all the different people from different walks of life, shopping to get good healthy food for their families. I really miss it, and all of NJ.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:38 AM

513 posts, read 1,167,319 times
Quote:
OMG, I miss it so much! I go there to shop 2x a month. I haven't been there in so long because the weather here is unpredictable coming down around the mountain in the long winter, but as soon my kids complete their last major school assignments I'm going to visit. I spend 1/2, and sometimes 1/3 of what I do here in produce when I shop on Getty Ave. Fresh produce here is not at all cheap, nor is it very fresh, and the variety is scant. You are right, you need to get there early for the best buys. My husband jokes when we go and says, "OK, time to fight all the old ladies for the best produce." Its still awesome, and just beautiful, seeing all the different people from different walks of life, shopping to get good healthy food for their families. I really miss it, and all of NJ.
I love the farmers market in Paterson, too. And the great Syrian bakeries nearby,too....and I love to stop for a real Turkish coffee in South Paterson. They sell spices and baked goods there that are very hard to find anywhere. The fragrances of the shops are just wonderful. I can't believe that people paint Paterson so badly with their big broad brush. Like any city these days, there is good and bad. Enjoy the good like the Great Falls, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:38 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Well, hurry up and come back.

Now I'm thinking that maybe I'll get up early some Sunday morning and take a ride up there...it would only be about a 40-minute drive, then I could continue on to my mother's house and visit her.

The problem is, though, that I don't have a family to cook for anymore. It's just me, and I wouldn't need all that stuff.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey