Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,421 times

Advertisements

Hi ,

My daughter is oct 2nd born and she will miss the oct 1st school cut off in most of the nj counties by 1 day.

I found out south brunswick,east brunswick,franklin township has oct 31st cut offs.Do you know any other school districts with oct 31st cut off for kindergarden as the brunswicks would be far to our offices(jersey city).Please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 02:32 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,314,742 times
This topic has been discussed ad infinitum. Cut-off dates are district to district, not county-wide. Do a search! Here are some links to get you started:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ol-age-nj.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...age-after.html

Old 03-16-2016, 02:39 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keerthika View Post
Hi ,

My daughter is oct 2nd born and she will miss the oct 1st school cut off in most of the nj counties by 1 day.
Please advise.
My advice is to read the never-ending published literature detailing how being substantially older in one's grade (vs. substantially younger) is a major boon for 99% of children out there -- from elementary through high school, especially in high school, ASIDE FROM ACADEMIC ISSUES.... body issues related to puberty, participation in sports = being smaller, driving, dating, drugs, (overall "hot cognition" as well as frontal lobe development as compared to peers.))

My daughter was born Oct 1 (the date of our cut-off here in Bergen Co). She is above average in reading and math and socially as well. We could have sent her but she would have been the absolute youngest in her grade. We chose to follow what nearly all education experts now advise if your child is right on the cusp of the deadline, do not push forward and make them the youngest as you are likely doing them a dis-service either academically or, more so, socially, or both.

(Now if this is a money and/or childcare concern, that's really too bad.)

Old 03-17-2016, 07:37 AM

377 posts, read 474,561 times
If it's a money/child care concern you could also look for towns with public pre-K. Then you get the best of both worlds.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:50 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,186,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
(Now if this is a money and/or childcare concern, that's really too bad.)

Makes me wonder, how many to-be-parents consider the school enrollment cut-off date when planning a baby?

Old 03-17-2016, 08:05 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Makes me wonder, how many to-be-parents consider the school enrollment cut-off date when planning a baby?
To me, this has gotten really out of hand....you now have some kids who are 19 graduating HS (with June bdays) because their snowflake can't be the youngest. Someone has to be the youngest and that is being pushed and pushed further back over the years. My kids were born in May and statistically they should be older than 30% of their classmates. It's probably less than 10%. My kids have so many friends born in June, July, August - where they should be a grade above. I get it if there's a developmental issue but mostly it's "boys should be held back". When does it end?

But to answer your question, no we didn't but if I had to do it all over again (my kids were preemies and were due at end of June), I might rabbit, I might.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:25 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
To me, this has gotten really out of hand....you now have some kids who are 19 graduating HS (with June bdays) because their snowflake can't be the youngest. Someone has to be the youngest and that is being pushed and pushed further back over the years. My kids were born in May and statistically they should be older than 30% of their classmates. It's probably less than 10%. My kids have so many friends born in June, July, August - where they should be a grade above. I get it if there's a developmental issue but mostly it's "boys should be held back". When does it end?

But to answer your question, no we didn't but if I had to do it all over again (my kids were preemies and were due at end of June), I might rabbit, I might.
I agree with you on the "redshirting" issue. It has gotten out of hand; that said, those are generally children who have birthdays well before the cut off. This thread is instead about a child's birthday clearly being *after* the most common cutoff yet a parent is willing to decide where they will live based on finding a town that offers a later one.

Will also share from a relocation perspective, that NJ's cut-offs (maybe the northeast too?) for Kinder are MUCH later than most other parts of the country. We have lived in CA, CO and TX and all had cutoffs of Aug 30-Sept 1. While my daughter's birthday is ON the cutoff here (the last day edible for Kinder) we would have had to push her forward an entire year to adhere to that since she she started preschool in places with an earlier cutoff.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:40 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,255,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post

I have 3 children. Two are May babies and one is January.

I didn't see a big age difference with my May kid's classmates. In Kindergarten maybe one or two turned 6 in the early fall.

Then we put the older two May babies in an independent private school (from a parochial private - I have been told to make the distinction very clear by certain posters on the Edu board). One started in 4th and the other in 6th and neither had too many classmates older than them.

We also put our youngest in the same independent private school's pre-K class when he was 4 years and 8 months old. My January born child, well....I was sure he was going to be one of the oldest kids in the class.

He struggled with the material (and after having been through pre-k with my older two, I could see why, it was ridiculous), but his teachers kept telling me that he was doing just fine. He was pulled out of class once a day with a small group of his fellow classmates to work on math/reading skills. That was new to me.

As I watched him get increasingly frustrated (and his self-confidence took a huge dip), I had a conversation with his teacher, out of my frustration. I said to her, "He just turned 5 years old a few weeks ago and I don't understand WHY he's having such a hard time". She said to me, "He JUST turned 5. He's one of the youngest in the class. Most of the class is about to turn 6 or already has". And I had this conversation with her IN January.

FF to Kindergarten. Same groups of kids (two small classes of K). Same issue.

The teachers had to teach to the kids who should have been in 1st grade, because they were in the majority and their parents demanded it, as opposed to those who were age-appropriate for the grade - and in the minority.

So the few, again, struggled with their self confidence and skills because they were almost a full year (and in some cases more than a full year) behind the majority of their peers. At an age where 6 months can and does make a huge difference in cognitive abilities, social skills, coping skills, emotional reactions, etc.

Let's just say when I thought it would all work out in the wash somewhere around middle school? It worked itself out by the end of 1st grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
I agree with you on the "redshirting" issue. It has gotten out of hand; that said, those are generally children who have birthdays well before the cut off. This thread is instead about a child's birthday clearly being *after* the most common cutoff yet a parent is willing to decide where they will live based on finding a town that offers a later one.
Exactly. Knowing how many red-shirt these days, after my experience, I don't know why anyone would want to put their child in a grade where he/she might be one of the youngest in the class/grade and developmentally behind the majority of his/her peers socially, emotionally, cognitively.

Quote:
Will also share from a relocation perspective, that NJ's cut-offs (maybe the northeast too?) for Kinder are MUCH later than most other parts of the country. We have lived in CA, CO and TX and all had cutoffs of Aug 30-Sept 1. While my daughter's birthday is ON the cutoff here (the last day edible for Kinder) we would have had to push her forward an entire year to adhere to that since she she started preschool in places with an earlier cutoff.
I have family and or friends who live in both CO and TX, and the school year seems to start earlier (2/3rds of the way in to August) in those states than it does in NJ. NJ schools tend to start up again after Labor Day in Sept. Could be the reason for the later cut off dates in Jersey.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:50 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,772,355 times
one more year of crayons, one less year of retirement

Old 03-19-2016, 08:37 AM

312 posts, read 685,994 times
Springfield has a December 1 cutoff and public pre-k. Pre-k is half day and K is full day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey