Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:58 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,621,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyfinn View Post
the law is for the tenant 100% in NJ. Your guilty until proven innocent. If the tenant says you were paid a security you were paid. He does not even have to prove anything
I hope your not a sitting judge, lawyer or law teacher in this state because that is bad legal advice and simply not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 11:58 AM

24 posts, read 96,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertRat View Post
For legal advice, don't you think you'd be better off with a local lawyer specializing in real estate law (especially for rentals) than random people posting on a message board? What next, someone is going to ask us for a second opinion because they've been diagnosed with cancer? "Yes, Dr. Finkelstein said that I've got lung cancer, but funkydad87 said I'd be fine, so don't worry."

I know I need to unfortunately consult with an attorney, But atpt the funds are low and an attorney is going to cost me thousands. I just wanted to get some opinions in the matter.

Thanks for the cold humor,
Gus

Old 02-11-2008, 12:11 PM

316 posts, read 1,248,611 times
Talking this makes a difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by gferrachi View Post
owner occupied 2 family and yes there is a school right around the corner, as well as a ply ground.
Owner occ. property is very differnt from the rest .
if you have kids it make a even bigger difference .
being with in 500 ft of a school or play ground as well .
get the police report, if you want a good attnorey info i got one if you don't have one.
your case looks good. but see an attnory because i am sure there is more to the story.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:19 PM

857 posts, read 2,001,736 times
I'd call his bluff. Do the documents you were served look authentic?
How much could 1/2 of a security deposit be? $2000 at most? The lawyers fees would be more than that to take you to court.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:12 PM

633 posts, read 1,949,410 times
Default CYA - everything by the book

Time to get serious, I don't think it's time for an attorney. Put everything down in a letter, make a copy of the lease if you have one and if you don't, never ever rent with out one again.

In the letter outline his request, your response, stay focused. Send it certified mail to him,with a receipt. See how he response when you are doing everything by the book. If you go to court these are the documents you will need.

Good luck
Mike
landlord

Old 02-11-2008, 06:40 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gferrachi View Post
I know I need to unfortunately consult with an attorney, But atpt the funds are low and an attorney is going to cost me thousands. I just wanted to get some opinions in the matter.

Thanks for the cold humor,
Gus
GO to Lawguru.com - Legal Questions, Answers and Research for Attorneys, Lawyers, Law, Legal Advice These are attorneys giving free advice.

Diane G

Old 02-11-2008, 08:04 PM

316 posts, read 1,248,611 times
Exclamation he is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
Time to get serious, I don't think it's time for an attorney. Put everything down in a letter, make a copy of the lease if you have one and if you don't, never ever rent with out one again.

In the letter outline his request, your response, stay focused. Send it certified mail to him,with a receipt. See how he response when you are doing everything by the book. If you go to court these are the documents you will need.

Good luck
Mike
landlord
Mike is right if you kept it state that is why you kept it. for the repairs and damages he made. you will need receipts showing the repairs and how much it cost you to make the repairs . also how long it was empty after that and before it was able to be rent it again.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:28 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,621,948 times
Did anyone actually read the original post. He has "NO LEASE"

Old 02-12-2008, 07:14 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,666,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Did anyone actually read the original post. He has "NO LEASE"
And no security deposit was paid.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:40 PM

55 posts, read 187,007 times
if there is no agreement/contract.. you still have to produce a 30 day notice.. unfortunately.. you can't just kick out anyone on the street these days.. although you can turn around and sue thereafter for damages and he is liable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey