U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2006, 05:45 PM

17 posts, read 90,795 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My family and I currently live in Middlesex Co and are planning on moving to the Monmouth County area. My husband and I went to college there, and my family's in Ocean Co, so we're heading back south a bit

We may even consider going as far south as the point pleasant area, but aren't really interested in western Monmouth county (Freehold, etc.). So we're mostly interested in eastern Monmouth County and northern Ocean County.

We're looking for family friendly towns where the neighbors actually know each other (if that still exists!), good schools, and a downtown atmosphere with homes available that aren't mcmansions.

I've read all the past threads and they've been great, but if anyone can share specific towns and why you like them, I'd really appreciate it.

thanks!
Rebecca
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 06:00 PM

3,376 posts, read 13,326,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseamorning15 View Post
Hi all,
My family and I currently live in Middlesex Co and are planning on moving to the Monmouth County area. My husband and I went to college there, and my family's in Ocean Co, so we're heading back south a bit

We may even consider going as far south as the point pleasant area, but aren't really interested in western Monmouth county (Freehold, etc.). So we're mostly interested in eastern Monmouth County and northern Ocean County.

We're looking for family friendly towns where the neighbors actually know each other (if that still exists!), good schools, and a downtown atmosphere with homes available that aren't mcmansions.

I've read all the past threads and they've been great, but if anyone can share specific towns and why you like them, I'd really appreciate it.

thanks!
Rebecca
I think the only towns in Monmouth county with that downtown atmosphere may be Red Bank or Keyport aside from Freehold. I don't know how the schools rate in Red Bank or Keyport.

Old 11-21-2006, 08:05 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,241,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseamorning15 View Post
Hi all,

thanks!
Rebecca
The closest thing I can think of in Ocean County is Toms River. In fact, it's the only town in Ocean that I know of that even has a downtown at all. The schools are very good, and there are a variety of homes as it's a relatively large area. I can't venture a guess as to how neighbors interact with one another, though. I imagine that it's hit or miss like it is most other places.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:21 PM

4,321 posts, read 13,865,397 times
Look into Atlantic Highlands/Middletown. I'm from Edison and moved here nine years ago and love it. When I go to the supermarket, gas station, restaurants I always run into people I know here and we stop and say a hello. When I lived in Edison, I was lucky if anyone even looked me in the face. My girlfriend bought a house here and she knows all her neighbors and they all invite each other over for parties etc...I have always felt safe here also, I leave my car unlocked all the time when I lived north my car was broken into twice. Don't know about the schools but I would think they are all good in this area. You would be close to Red Bank for shopping/restaurants and just a ferry away from NYC.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:36 PM

17 posts, read 90,795 times
Thank you for your replies!

Rapture, Atlantic Highlands and Middletown are actually 2 on our list I know Atlantic highlands is a small town, but are there any specific parts of Middletown that you'd recommend?

thanks again!

Old 11-29-2006, 06:16 PM

64 posts, read 274,332 times
Did you ever consider Brick, Great schools, Safest town, and my neighbors and I all know each other. Kids ALL play together, ride bikes skateboard and go fishing down by the lake

Old 12-02-2006, 07:47 PM

15 posts, read 59,857 times
Check out Lincroft, it is part of Middletown Township. Lots of great neighborhoods, nice people and some of the best schools. Also, great location to parkway if you will need to travel.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:02 AM

4 posts, read 16,846 times
While I may no longer live in NJ - I still agree, both Middletown & Lincroft are great. New Monmouth, Tinton Falls & Little Silver are also wonderful. The same can be said for Rumson near Red Bank. FYI - downtown Red Bank is wonderful for shopping, a few outdoor cafes in summer & dining + its the home of Monmouth Medical Center.

Just outside of Middletown Twp yet still in Monmouth County, is Holmdel with great schools & nice homes.

Rumson & Holmdel may be a little more expensive than Middletown.. but are still worth the look.

PS: I grew up in Middletown.. (and still have family there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey