Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 04:41 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
My career in securities/banking is mainly front office - most of my current and ex colleagues in the same line of work who live in NJ are from Essex and Union counties for obvious reasons, as well as to be able to connect to the PATH at Newark Penn. Livingston, So. Orange, Westfield and Cranford were the most common neighborhoods. The few people I met in the same companies who were from Monmouth (eg, Manalapan, Freehold) were from back office jobs like payroll, HR, paralegal etc. as they could afford to leave by 5pm. There were newspaper articles about Manalapan a few years ago (NYT) and if I recall, it mentioned that a lot of ex-Brooklyn and SI people settled there beginning the 1990s so maybe that would suggest police, firefighters, teachers.

If your career requires you to work extended/unpredictable hours and you need to go to financial district/WTC, it's better to live in Essex or Union if not Jersey City or Hoboken.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/28/re...livi.html?_r=0

Current FDNY and NYPD must be NYS residents and reside in NYC or a few select bordering counties.

Other than that yes, tons of Brooklyn and Staten Islanders fled to Monmouth County (Colts Neck, Middletown, Manalapan, Matawan, Marlboro, etc...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 07:57 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,724,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJpoliticiansarecrooks View Post
Here's a great resource that shows where people commute to...it's three years old but probably hasn't changed much.

The answer to where most people in Monmouth County work (besides Monmouth) is.....Middlesex County, followed by Manhattan.

N.J. drivers have second-highest rate of 'mega commutes,' Census reveals | NJ.com
middlesex? huh. never knew there were any jobs there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's a choice thing again, you're not forced to work in NYC. You can take a paycut and work in NJ, it may actually work out better in the long run with a reduction of commute time and tax savings.

The other issue is some folks rather live really far away from NYC just to save on property taxes. Their property tax in South NJ maybe 20-30% less than Central or North NJ but they're spending a lot more $$ on commute and the time lost is unrecoverable.

I know many people who are forcing themselves to leave probably by 7am just to get in by 9am and leave work at 6-7pm and arrive home by 8-8:30pm.

Family dinner time doesn't exist anymore and I doubt there's much family time for many Americans.

of course not. but there's only so far a commute can get until it makes no sense from a work/life perspective. imho, most of monmouth county encroaches on that boundary.

unfortunately north NJ and westchester, etc. have NOTHING appealing to me.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:00 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,724,972 times
i just want to find a decent paying job that i can commute to via car and still live in monmouth county.

seems tough and like there's a massive lack of industry.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
middlesex? huh. never knew there were any jobs there.

of course not. but there's only so far a commute can get until it makes no sense from a work/life perspective. imho, most of monmouth county encroaches on that boundary.

unfortunately north NJ and westchester, etc. have NOTHING appealing to me.

Have family and friends who moved to Monmouth County from SI and Manhattan. In all instances it was more about finding a place they could afford with *ahem* reasonable taxes. Some were lucky and managed a transfer to their company's NJ offices. Others are allowed to work from home a good part of the time thus only have to head into Manhattan for say meetings or whatever. The rest either found employment in NJ or are sucking it up and commuting. It is really that easy and there aren't many options.

No, NJ doesn't have a lot of industry and what it has is shrinking as businesses are driven out of the state (and often into New York) for a host of reasons. Only real big business NJ has that NYC cannot steal is tourism. You saw this when Big Boy (Chris Christie) made a bee line for Washington D.C. and cozied up to Obama post super storm Sandy.

You've obviously done your homework and know the answers; parts or all of areas like Middlesex, Bergen, Essex, Union counties will give you the desired commute and living you seek. However you'll pay dearly for that luxury.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:01 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
i just want to find a decent paying job that i can commute to via car and still live in monmouth county.

seems tough and like there's a massive lack of industry.
Go to LinkedIn and do a search using "princeton", "skillman" or "hamilton" for locations. Youll get some good results. I know bloomberg, Dunn & bradstreet, and state Street are actively hiring in the area. If you can find a job there then you can live in monmouth.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:15 AM

882 posts, read 1,669,709 times
What I want to know is...where do people in Toms River work? Seems far from everything, yet is one of the biggest towns in the state.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
What I want to know is...where do people in Toms River work? Seems far from everything, yet is one of the biggest towns in the state.

Toms River is about to get bigger...... Surging home sales in Toms River and Jackson tied to Orthodox growth.=

Old 03-22-2016, 08:43 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
When I was in midtown I worked with someone that lived in TR. Two hour plus bus ride each way daily, but he bought a house on an inlet so he could ride his boat out to fish each weekend. To each his own I suppose...

Old 03-22-2016, 08:44 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
so basically the people living there can expect to be Lakewood 2.0? Yikes!!

Old 03-22-2016, 10:02 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
so basically the people living there can expect to be Lakewood 2.0? Yikes!!
They are fighting. There was an article about this in Sunday's Press.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey