Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 07:32 AM

54 posts, read 88,366 times

Advertisements

I have been on this site for years with possible move-to places requesting assistance. Next up - Princeton, NJ!

My current job has an opening I applied for that will allow for some remote work with the office located in Princeton that I will have to commute to more often than not.

Where are you coming from? Delco, PA
Why are you moving? Job transferring me
Where will you be working ? Princeton, NJ

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? I really do not want to go over $1300 per month for a 3 bedroom (tight, I know. My husband will be unemployed when we move, but we do have a cleaning and maintenance business he is going to work when we relocate until he can find permanent work. Hopefully he gets the business moving though).
What kind of place are you looking for ? 3 bedroom, I would like more than one bathroom (3 boys ), a yard definitely. Safe neighborhood and safe, solid schools. We are Black, so if there's any hint of possible discrimination or a low tolerance for diversity please don't suggest those areas

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse, 3 boys
Do you need/want good public schools? NEED, definitely. We aren't in a position to pay for private, although if charter is an option that would be a welcome alternative (my boys are in a charter now). Still, we want good public schools in case charter doesn't work out.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in

SAFETY and SCHOOLS first
Can be PA or NJ since we're renting
Families with kids would be nice in the neighborhood
Some diversity would be awesome...
Commute to Princeton within 30 minutes
We have 2 cars, easy parking a plus

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

SAFETY and SCHOOLS first! (Counts as 2?)
30 minute commute to Princeton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 07:41 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_melodies View Post
IWhat kind of place are you looking for ? 3 bedroom, I would like more than one bathroom (3 boys ), a yard definitely. Safe neighborhood and safe, solid schools. We are Black, so if there's any hint of possible discrimination or a low tolerance for diversity please don't suggest those areas

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse, 3 boys
Do you need/want good public schools? NEED, definitely. We aren't in a position to pay for private, although if charter is an option that would be a welcome alternative (my boys are in a charter now). Still, we want good public schools in case charter doesn't work out.
3 boys is not a small family by NYC-area standards. I believe Princeton has one of the best SDs in NJ, or you can also look at nearby West Windsor or Skillman/Montgomery both of which also have great schools.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:41 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Your budget is not tight. It is impossible. No one has 3 bedrooms and a yard that cheap. That's a two-bedroom garden apartment price, IF you're lucky. I'm not sure you could even find 3 beds for that price in a rundown, urban neighborhood, which of course you don't want with three kids.

If someone comes along and proves me wrong, I will be happy for you.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:47 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Your budget is not tight. It is impossible. No one has 3 bedrooms and a yard that cheap. That's a two-bedroom garden apartment price, IF you're lucky. I'm not sure you could even find 3 beds for that price in a rundown, urban neighborhood.

It is possible--although not likely--that the OP could find an old, run-down house that somebody is renting-out at that price, but finding it within 30 minutes of Princeton is not at all likely if the OP wants a safe neighborhood. I think that it might be possible to find an old, run-down house at that rental price in Trenton--which is within the stated 30 minute commute time--but when it comes to safety and school quality, I wouldn't recommend Trenton.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Your budget is not tight. It is impossible. No one has 3 bedrooms and a yard that cheap. That's a two-bedroom garden apartment price, IF you're lucky. I'm not sure you could even find 3 beds for that price in a rundown, urban neighborhood, which of course you don't want with three kids.

If someone comes along and proves me wrong, I will be happy for you.
This is what I've been running into, and I hope someone can suggest something
I've been so stressed out trying to figure all this out (boss thinks I can just take the leap and hope for the best, but with 3 kids I can't take that chance... also he has no children sooo.. yeah.)

Thanks

Old 03-21-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
3 boys is not a small family by NYC-area standards. I believe Princeton has one of the best SDs in NJ, or you can also look at nearby West Windsor or Skillman/Montgomery both of which also have great schools.
For the price I'm looking at, you think I could find something in those areas? I haven't been able to find anything...

And yeah, 3 boys is why we wouldn't consider NYC

Old 03-21-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
It is possible--although not likely--that the OP could find an old, run-down house that somebody is renting-out at that price, but finding it within 30 minutes of Princeton is not at all likely if the OP wants a safe neighborhood. I think that it might be possible to find an old, run-down house at that rental price in Trenton--which is within the stated 30 minute commute time--but when it comes to safety and school quality, I wouldn't recommend Trenton.

Agreed, I cannot do Trenton. It was suggested to me to try Ewing, but that area isn't any better...

Old 03-21-2016, 10:00 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
I just looked on realtor.com for any rentals in Lawrenceville. There are a couple that are close to your maximum rent. Try looking there!

Old 03-21-2016, 10:14 AM

160 posts, read 300,877 times
Look in northern Burlington county. I rent a house (3 beds) for 1375, and I've seen ones a bit lower than that. I believe Florence township (Roebling area) might actually have some within your range. Commute from Roebling might be slightly over 30 minutes though.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:15 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Here's a suggestion based on your husband running a cleaning and maintenance biz...is he handy? He might want to look for a job as a building super. That often comes with an apartment as part of salary. It wouldn't be the house-and-yard rental you desire, but if he gets a job in a nice complex, it could work for your family. My ex-husband does this. When our daughter was growing up, it allowed him to provide a nice bedroom for her in a luxury building in a safe neighborhood when she visited him. He had a gorgeous place, rent-free, plus a salary. It might be worth doing a search on job boards for such a position in the Princeton area, see if anything is out there.

He is at another condo complex now on the Hoboken waterfront, and while he does building maintenance and small fixes, he has to call in contractors for big jobs. You usually need a Black Seal boiler license, but there is a course and then a test you take to get that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey