Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 3,645 times

Advertisements

so, a friend of mine discovered that she's living in illegal basement. The city is taking the landlord to court. in the meantime, the landlord has shut off hot water, gas and heat. She went to the City Hall of her town and they said they cant help and that she'll have to go to the Housing Coalition in Hackensack NJ. She went, but they said they cant do nothing and that there is no docket number or they have not yet pleaded guilty. Also, she went to the health department of her town and they said they cant help either because it is an illegal department.(She wanted to get proof that the utitlies mentioned were indeed shutoff and that she took the measure to report it) My friend is waiting to go to court so that she can fight for her relocation reimbursements. Is she forced to live in this condition until this matter is cleared? Should she file a police report to this disorderly conduct? Under NJ law a person who trys to perform a self-help eviction is guilty of a fourth degree disorderly conduct charge. The landlord has threaten to take out her stuff ( she has it recorded) and the landlord has shutoff hot-water, stove gas and heat. She does not have a lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 12:23 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,616 times
So, no lease, illegal apartment, and probably a really great deal at the time and it all backfired?

So weird.

Might as well talk to the police too, but what's the charge? Disorderly conduct is behavior in "public" and this apartment is not in public. Without a lease there's no record of her exchanging money to live there. I don't know what they're going to do to help, the landlord has been indicted and is in the court system. Her best bet is to get her stuff out before the locks change and find a friend to crash with while she figures it out, but she's not going to be allowed to move back in and live there, she needs to get out with her stuff while she can.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:45 PM

192 posts, read 256,791 times
She does not belong there - did not belong there. What's so hard to understand about illegal? Get her stuff and get out of Dodge while she can.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:57 PM

18,465 posts, read 15,244,932 times
It is most likely illegal because it is not up to code. Is there a door leading outside, or an egress window? Was the wiring done by a licensed electrician? Has it been inspected?

If it isn't safe, it would be in her best interest to get out of there rather than fighting to stay.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:03 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
What part of "illegal" does the OP not understand?

Old 03-23-2016, 04:12 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
What part of "illegal" does the OP not understand?

But how was she to know it was an illegal apartment (basement)..Isn't the landlord the one who is perpetuating the fraudulent gain thru illegal renting out this basement apartment??

It seems she has at least recorded all this will about every agency..So maybe best she just relocate..and go after this landlord "AFTER the FACT" in a civil suit .which would include any "Pain and suffering" costs.inconvenience etc... She may not have a lease..but quite often month to month rentals are verbal contracts ( tho she may have electronic evidence of it) so that will come into play in subsequent civil suit? No??

Old 03-23-2016, 04:36 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
But how was she to know it was an illegal apartment (basement).

I guess that you didn't figure out my underlying theory in this case, that it isn't likely for utilities to be reconnected once an occupancy has been declared to be illegal. The OP's friend should simply live with a friend/relative/co-worker in the short term, while seeking a new--and legal--rental.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:48 PM

4 posts, read 3,645 times
thanks, she doesnt have friends or family the poor thing. She truly is screwed. Shes actually just caught a fever from the lack of heat. oh well, its her problem. not no one elses. and i cant bring her in into my house due to private & personal reasons that i will not disclose on a public forum. I guess shes screwed and hopefully she doesnt catch pneumonia or something. her space heater is not that powerful and shes starting to smell horrible. oh well, if the government says F you to her then i guess nothing she can do. She should know better next time. thanks for all your info guys. Really big help

Old 03-23-2016, 06:15 PM

192 posts, read 256,791 times
Vote for Bernie - if you can vote. He would love to make US responsible for the all of the UNFORTUNATES.

Time to close this thread

Old 03-24-2016, 07:55 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,616 times
Women's shelters. Hotels. If you can't take her in, ask people you know who might be able to.

Look, I'm sorry your friend got caught up in renting an illegal apartment, but when there's no lease she left herself unprotected without doing research. I'm sorry that I'm not going to come over and offer her a place to stay, but legally she has no standing, what would you like us to do? Because I'd like to know why you expect us to be able to help.

You should at least let her come over and take a shower. I don't care what your private and personal reasons are, you're the one being a terrible friend. Don't blame your guilt on us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: