Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 05:14 PM

562 posts, read 2,615,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abejita View Post
So you're saying it's possible to live in Elizabeth without a car? I wasn't looking into it because I assumed I'd have to drive.

20 min to Penn Station in NYC? or Newark?
exactly.. if you move around Elmora section, you'll have the train station at walking distance.. and on Elmora ave you'll have restaurants, coffee shops, etc.. you should pass by to see for yourself..

another section where you can be without a car is North Elizabeth.. right by North Ave.. you can catch the 112 bus and it'll take you straight to port authority.. a large portuguese/brazilian neighborhood.. really nice people too!

with NJT Train it'll take you about 20-25 minutes into NYC Penn Station.. there are 2 train stations in Elizabeth.. 1 on broad st and another on North Elizabeth that's right on North Ave.. there are also multiple NJT Bus lines.. like the 112 that goes on North Ave and the 113 that services Rahway ave and bayway.. the good thing about Buses is that once it gets on the Turnpike it by[passes all the traffic for the Lincoln tunnel as buses have their own route.. so it does take about 25-30mins.. if you need any more info just ping me or post here.. i'll be glad to respond..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2006, 05:16 PM

heheh .. well it's way different than back then.. but it has developed signigicantly.. anyone who lived in the city know what i'm referring to.. believe me there are worst places to live.. convenience is #1 for me.. oh and $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Just had to post cause my mom grew up in Elizabeth & also lived on the Upper East Side first! (Manhattan) Of course she grew up in Elizabeth in the 50's but she liked it... (although seemed to think it was "boring")
I guess there's some sort of Upper East Side - Elizabeth connection....

Old 11-24-2006, 04:18 PM

202 posts, read 992,997 times
jstar41, I understand that you're proud of Elizabeth and the advances that have been made in recent years, but I'm not sure how all that pro-Elizabeth statements you wrote is really relevant to what I'm saying.

My opinion is that anyone who has the money to buy $750,000 house would be crazy to live in a town with 10 murders, 14 rapes, 473 robberies, 189 assaults, 956 burglaries, 2,926 thefts, 1,642 auto thefts as recently as 2004, when they can buy a perfectly suitable house for that kind of money in a much, much, much safer neighborhood just a few miles to the west with schools that are infinitely better. Towns like Summit, Millburn, Chatham, Madison and Westfield have plenty of great houses available for $750,000 (or less).

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
and NO ELMORA HILLS is not to the right were it intersects with Morris Ave.. Elmora hills is located between Kean and Westfield ave.. behind the University.. and if you meant that area, you must be a very unlucky person..
I think I was imprecise about where I lived. I lived on North Ave, between Morris and Westfield. I only mentioned Kean because that was the biggest landmark I lived closest to. I lived about 1/2 mile south of that.

I'm not positive what area this was, but if it wasn't Elmora Hills, it was pretty darn close to it. What area did I live in? (This is a serious question, not sarcastic at all.)

Old 11-24-2006, 09:11 PM

Elmora Hills is between Kean University and Westfield.. off North Ave to the right towards Elmora.. i think you lived towards the left.. which is around Chilton Ave.. I'm not sure of the name of the area but it's Morris ave section.. not the worst area but there are some suspicious buildings.. but it was convenient to the train station, not?

oh and in reference to your comment of people beeing crazy to buy a house for 750k.. again i meant a NEW construction house and one that has all the high end appliances,materials, upgrades and on a large lot.. for 750k in Westfield that'll get you and OLD colonial and taxes will kill you.. but then again there are not too many houses at that price range since Elmora Hills do not have many new constructions.. you'll find more new constructions on Elmora, but for about 650-700k but they are 2 family homes..

oh and the statistics you posted cannot be used to compared those towns to Elizabeth because Elizabeth is probably the size of all of them put together.. and double the population..

I'm not proud of Elizabeth because it still needs work specially downtown.. but it's not as bad as people make it seem.. crime rate has dropped significantly between 2004 and now.. IMO it's definately better than JC.. that's just my opinion.. oh and of all the towns you mentioned which one has transportation that'll take you into the city within 30 minutes?? (not being sarcastic but I don't think none do)

I don't want people agreeing or disagreeing with me, i just wanted to make people aware that it's not as bad as people make it seem.. and it's an easy place to commute for NYC workers like myself.. that's why when i created this thread i specified who i was aiming at with the heading..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka View Post
jstar41, I understand that you're proud of Elizabeth and the advances that have been made in recent years, but I'm not sure how all that pro-Elizabeth statements you wrote is really relevant to what I'm saying.

My opinion is that anyone who has the money to buy $750,000 house would be crazy to live in a town with 10 murders, 14 rapes, 473 robberies, 189 assaults, 956 burglaries, 2,926 thefts, 1,642 auto thefts as recently as 2004, when they can buy a perfectly suitable house for that kind of money in a much, much, much safer neighborhood just a few miles to the west with schools that are infinitely better. Towns like Summit, Millburn, Chatham, Madison and Westfield have plenty of great houses available for $750,000 (or less).

I think I was imprecise about where I lived. I lived on North Ave, between Morris and Westfield. I only mentioned Kean because that was the biggest landmark I lived closest to. I lived about 1/2 mile south of that.

I'm not positive what area this was, but if it wasn't Elmora Hills, it was pretty darn close to it. What area did I live in? (This is a serious question, not sarcastic at all.)

Old 11-24-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
Elmora Hills is between Kean University and Westfield.. off North Ave to the right towards Elmora.. i think you lived towards the left.. which is around Chilton Ave.. I'm not sure of the name of the area but it's Morris ave section.. not the worst area but there are some suspicious buildings.. but it was convenient to the train station, not?
Yes, I lived on North Ave right near Chilton. Now that I'm looking at the map, I see that North turns into Elmora Ave right around Chilton. I always thought it changed at Westfield for some reason.

Is North/Elmora Ave the eastern border of Elmora Hills or does it stop being Elmora Hills before that? It kind of sounds to me like I lived across the street (or a few blocks away) from Elmora Hills.

I was closer to the Broad St. Station, but I usually drove to the North Eliz. station because free street parking was available and I didn't have to deal with how shady the Broad St area was, especially at night.

Quote:
oh and of all the towns you mentioned which one has transportation that'll take you into the city within 30 minutes?? (not being sarcastic but I don't think none do)
Oh, no, none of them do. They're all around 40-45 minutes on the train vs 25-30 on the train/bus from Elizabeth. But, in my opinion, if I could afford to buy a $750,000 house, I'd take an extra 15 minutes for the lower crime and better schools. I'd also take the older (and possibly smaller) house for that peace of mind as well, to answer your other question.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:37 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,448,134 times
Default You're not accurate

Yes Elizabeth has a lot of crime in those reports. However you seem to be forgetting that Elizabeth is a big city. At least way bigger than surrounding towns like Rahway or Linden so OBVIOUSLY it's going to have more crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka View Post

Old 12-18-2006, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,187 times
Default Visiting

Hello!

I have somehow managed to book a hotel in Elizabeth NJ for a trip I am making to New York. I thought I was getting one fairly close to NY and by the looks of it... it is probably 20 to 25 miles away. Now this may be ok...if there is a way to get there for a tourist. Bus? Subway? (Taxi sounds cost prohibitive)... any ideas? Any help?

Old 12-19-2006, 08:58 AM

170 posts, read 962,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanie58 View Post
Hello!

I have somehow managed to book a hotel in Elizabeth NJ for a trip I am making to New York. I thought I was getting one fairly close to NY and by the looks of it... it is probably 20 to 25 miles away. Now this may be ok...if there is a way to get there for a tourist. Bus? Subway? (Taxi sounds cost prohibitive)... any ideas? Any help?
I would book somewhere closer. Elizabeth is not ideal for a tourist and the trip to NY would be too long (at least 45 minutes) for a vacation. Try looking around in Jersey City or Weehawken. They are located just across the river from NYC and only a ferry or PATH (that's a subway) ride away.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:43 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,989 times
While Elizabeth probably isn't the best location for seeing Manhattan, it is certainly doable. If you are locked into your reservation, you can take a train from Elizabeth straight to NY Penn Station, there are also buses available. Depending on the time of day and your hotels proximity to the train or bus routes, I would estimate somewhere in the range of 35 (right on the tracks) to 90 (bus-to-bus or bus-to-train or some other variation) minutes for the trip. You can find some options at http://njtransit.com .

Old 12-19-2006, 01:20 PM

I agree with royceb. If there's any way at all to change your reservation, I would do it. Elizabeth is not a good base of operations to sightsee in NYC.

You have few options and pretty much all of them will revolve around your hotel's shuttle or a cab in some fashion, unless you happen to be staying at that one hotel right across the street from the Jersey Gardens Mall (in which case you can catch a bus to NYC right from there).

I suspect most Elizabeth hotels offer free shuttles to and from the Newark Airport and the Jersey Gardens Mall. From the Mall, you can just catch a bus. From the Newark Airport, you can walk through the airport, get the monorail to the NJ Transit Newark Airport station, then get the train from there. Kind of a convoluted way, but doable.

I wouldn't recommend trying to take the NJ Transit train from Elizabeth. Assuming you can get to the station(s) okay (by hotel shuttle or cab), you'll have to get a cab on the way back to the hotel when you get to the station. The North Elizabeth station will not have any cabs, so you'd have to call one ahead. The Broad St Elizabeth Station will have cabs, but that area of town is very sketchy for a tourist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey