Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2016, 06:18 AM

5 posts, read 21,614 times

Advertisements

Hey guys

Im lookimg at a house right now which is listed as a 3 bdrm but when I came there, it was a 2 bedroom, and what looks like a dining room right off of the kitchen (though there is a diningroom section in the living room too) they have it opened up. There is a place for a door, but no door; there is a place to close the wall off on the kitchen side; and there is a closet.
I know that if the wall is closed, door is hung, already as a closet, and a window, it can be considered a bedroom.

My question is about the window portion of it. I know that a bedroom needs to have an actual window, well if the wall is closed, door is hung, there is a closet, but there is no window *****, but there are sliding doors to get to the outside deck instead.

My question is....
If we leave the glass doors instead of putting a window, legally, would it be considered a bedroom?

My one and only concern is that if we buy as a 3 bdrm, we wont be able to sell as a 3 brdm. And i rather keep the sliding doors becaise there would be no other way to get to the outside deck.

He price of the house is higher due to the 3 bdrm mindset and they volonteered to close it off, hang a door, as well as put a window instead of the doors if we pay the asking price, but i got them down 15k from asking price and they would leave the room untouched, but my one and only main concern is the resale value due to the so called 3rd bdrm.

Please advise what you all think about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 21,614 times
Anyone...?

Old 04-03-2016, 11:39 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
I think that you should find out how the town has the house listed on property records.

Is the house appraised by the town as 2 or 3 bedroom?

Does the town have rules regarding what constitutes a bedroom?

Does the 3rd "bedroom" conform to fire department rules? There are special rules for bedrooms as opposed to other rooms.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:47 AM

777 posts, read 2,380,735 times
As a former appraiser, to qualify as a bedroom, we had the following criteria:

1-Large enough to fit a single size bed
2-Has a closet
3-Has a window
4-Has a door (for privacy)

If there was a sliding glass door in the bedroom and that was the only way to access the back, that would be considered a 'functional inadequacy' and given a negative hit on the value for having an inferior floor plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey