U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 11:04 AM

1,546 posts, read 594,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJpoliticiansarecrooks View Post
Old Bridge actually has more open space than most of the towns you often shill for so try not to let the facts get in the way. Now, if you say you like certain towns better, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But when you make remarks that aren't accurate and present them as facts, I'm going to call you out on it.

On the other hand, anything you can do to discourage even more people from Staten Island from setting foot in OB is certainly appreciated.

First and most importantly, in my thread title I asked for OPINIONS. All opinions welcome. I'm quite capable of checking out towns and area's and I do intend to work with a real estate agent, and even visit the towns mentioned. I appreciate all the responses I've been getting.

As for the last part of your post about not wanting anymore SI'ers in Old Bridge.. well all I can say is.. tough noogies. I'm free to move wherever I want to.

By the way, since you say Old Bridge has more space, I'm actually leaning towards that area. so thank you for that. Maybe we'll even be neighbors. Wouldn't that be fun? Are you a hamburger or hot dog person? Bud or Corona?

Last edited by elliedeee; 04-04-2016 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 11:34 AM

221 posts, read 165,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
First and most importantly, in my thread title I asked for OPINIONS. All opinions welcome. I'm quite capable of checking out towns and area's and I do intend to work with a real estate agent, and even visit the towns mentioned. I appreciate all the responses I've been getting.

As for the last part of your post about not wanting anymore SI'ers in Old Bridge.. well all I can say is.. tough noogies. I'm free to move wherever I want to.

By the way, since you say Old Bridge has more space, I'm actually leaning towards that area. so thank you for that. Maybe we'll even be neighbors. Wouldn't that be fun? Are you a hamburger or hot dog person? Bud or Corona?
As I said, there's no issue on that individual offering his opinion. But the individual stated something as fact that simply wasn't accurate.
Manalapan, Shrewsbury Red Bank, Springfield, and Cranford all have more people per square mile than Old Bridge. Therefore, I'd say it's safe to conclude those towns have less "open space."

Burgers and Corona, I'd say. Thanks for the generous offer

Old 04-04-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
As I said, there's no issue on that individual offering his opinion. But the individual stated something as fact that simply wasn't accurate.
Thanks for the explanation. I just don't want anyone getting into any arguments in this thread.

Do you want a slice of lime with your Corona?

Old 04-04-2016, 11:46 AM

1,860 posts, read 708,879 times
Quote:
I've no interest in getting into a flame war here- the towns I recommended are among the nicest in the state, with some wonderful open spaces, parks, etc.....While Old Bridge does contain Cheesequake park, I usually associate it with the superfund site, the traffic on rt 9 and the drag racing track that friends of mine in Manalapan complain about.
Like I said, as a former resident of the rock- Old Bridge /Matawan remind me of SI 5 years ago- the other towns SI 20+ years ago....

OP- regardless- it seems like you have the right idea at the end of the day - hire a realtor, drive around the towns and get a feel for what you like- not just at slow times- check them out during rush hour and Sunday @ noon/5PM.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
I've no interest in getting into a flame war here- the towns I recommended are among the nicest in the state, with some wonderful open spaces, parks, etc.....While Old Bridge does contain Cheesequake park, I usually associate it with the superfund site, the traffic on rt 9 and the drag racing track that friends of mine in Manalapan complain about.
Like I said, as a former resident of the rock- Old Bridge /Matawan remind me of SI 5 years ago- the other towns SI 20+ years ago....

OP- regardless- it seems like you have the right idea at the end of the day - hire a realtor, drive around the towns and get a feel for what you like- not just at slow times- check them out during rush hour and Sunday @ noon/5PM.

Hysterical. Manalapan, with only two lanes in each direction, has worse Route 9 traffic than Old Bridge, which has three lanes in each direction. Yet this fella associates the latter with traffic on that road while at the same time the former is "among the nicest in the state."

I'm done with this guy in this thread. Just take what he says with a grain of salt since I've basically factually refuted many of his claims.

Last edited by NJpoliticiansarecrooks; 04-04-2016 at 12:14 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 12:19 PM

9,434 posts, read 5,316,011 times
Why NJ towns so far down south? I know folks that work in NYC and lives in Freehold and Old Bridge area and it takes 80mins to commute to NYC daily. Pretty expensive commute too. NJ is huge, why limit to only towns frequent by ex-SI folks?

$500k can buy good houses 45mins in/out of NYC with parking and quiet streets.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Why NJ towns so far down south? I know folks that work in NYC and lives in Freehold and Old Bridge area and it takes 80mins to commute to NYC daily. Pretty expensive commute too. NJ is huge, why limit to only towns frequent by ex-SI folks?

45 minute door to door is really only possible in Jersey City or Hoboken. But you're right it's a very expensive commute from Central Jersey.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
45 minute door to door is really only possible in Jersey City or Hoboken. But you're right it's a very expensive commute from Central Jersey.
OP stated no commute since they will be retired.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Hysterical. Manalapan, with only two lanes in each direction, has worse Route 9 traffic than Old Bridge, which has three lanes in each direction. Yet this fella associates the latter with traffic on that road while at the same time the former is "among the nicest in the state."

I'm done with this guy in this thread. Just take what he says with a grain of salt since I've basically factually refuted many of his claims.

Good job cherry picking one town I mentioned, that really refutes everything. No refuting the superfund site or the drag racing track?

I get it you like Old Bridge. I think if you spoke to most people they would pick any of the towns I mentioned over Old Bridge, but to each his own, only trying to offer the OP objective advice. Take it for what it's worth- free advice on a message board.....

Old 04-04-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

My husband would be retired by then anyway so commuting wouldn't be an issue. It's just that all our kids live on the island and I don't want to be too far into NJ that it would be a long drive to visit them, or vice versa. Living near former Islanders wasn't a priority. I think they all just mentioned that because that's the way it is in those towns. It's something I'd have in common with neighbors at least, but I like New Jersey people too. If you have any other area's to suggest I'd like to hear them too. I'm just looking for a family friendly neighborhood, enough property for an inground pool and a barbecue, low crime, and within a hour or so drive back to SI.

Mets.. I'm so glad you brought up Cheesequake State park. I've been there many a time and now at least I have an idea visually where Old Bridge is and it's not what I consider a far drive, and we usually go there during prime tourist season when traffic is at it's worst and it's not a bad drive from here. I checked the maps for the other area's you mentioned and they're all fairly close to SI too so at least I have an idea of where those towns in relation to Old Bridge.. not that i'll necessarily move to Old Bridge but it helps me visualize where the other towns are.

All of the towns mentioned seemed to be within an hours drive of SI and that's something we were looking for. Thanks to all your suggestions I now have a place to start looking. Before I was just looking at a map, picking locations and trying to find info on those areas, and I hesitated to contact a RE agent with just a random idea of where to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey