U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 09:22 AM

2,187 posts, read 4,474,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I know you weren't responding to me, but your post actually helps me. It takes us 45mins to get to Sandy Hook from SI.. . Whether it's 10 or 15 mins. it doesn't matter to me. I'm getting a better sense of area's now. Thank you.

See - you know more than you think! Most of the places mentioned are between the exit and Sandy Hook. If you picture driving that way they would all be along the right hand side of 36. For me a quick ride to SH is one of the absolute best things about living here. It's a gem!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 09:39 AM

1,773 posts, read 776,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
That's one thing I've found strange about NJ vs NYC. There are a lot of trailer parks. I don't know anything about the one in Manalapan but most aren't like the ones you see in movies.
Do you mean there might be no rowdy beer swillin,' tough talking people with dubious occupations?

There was a.. ahem. mobile home park on Staten Island. I don't know if it's still there but the homes that were there were all well maintained and the owners had cute little gardens in front. No property whatsoever, but cute as a starter home. I had a friend that lived there and the inside was gorgeous. It was like owning your own apartment sized house. The owners were all either young couples starting out, or older retirees..

When I saw how many homes for sale that were in the one little area in NJ that's when I started to wonder what was up with that area. It could have been a mobile home park. The houses did kind of look fairly similar and the prices were wayyy too low.

Last edited by elliedeee; 04-06-2016 at 10:01 AM..

Old 04-06-2016, 01:25 PM

19,392 posts, read 18,529,571 times
Quote:
Manalapan.... so I"m looking on Listingbook at homes in Manalapan and there's a pocket of ranch homes for sale, Deer Way, Fawn Run , Doe drive, all street names are deer related.

The prices of these homes are 175k-200. The price alone raises red flags for me. I'm wondering more about the area.. What am I missing? Why so inexpensive? And where should I be looking in Manalapan? Manalapan township?

I noticed even the more expensive homes are on slabs. Is there a reason why there's no basements? Is the water table high there?
It looks like modular homes or maybe mobile homes put on a slab. No garages. The neighborhood is just down the road from Old Bridge Airport and the Raceway Park. They should pay you to live there. BTW, I figured that out buy taking a Google walk along a couple of streets.

No basement could mean high water table, difficult soil or cheap builder. Even a crawl space would be better.

I agree with tommy about the schools. More schools means more roof replacements, electronics upgrades, additions. You won't be able to get away from it, but it's a consideration.

Here's a list of tax rates by county and town(ship).

Property Tax Rates for Towns in Monmouth County New Jersey

Old 04-06-2016, 05:52 PM

13,616 posts, read 8,678,843 times
Quote:
Do you mean there might be no rowdy beer swillin,' tough talking people with dubious occupations?

There was a.. ahem. mobile home park on Staten Island. I don't know if it's still there but the homes that were there were all well maintained and the owners had cute little gardens in front. No property whatsoever, but cute as a starter home. I had a friend that lived there and the inside was gorgeous. It was like owning your own apartment sized house. The owners were all either young couples starting out, or older retirees..

When I saw how many homes for sale that were in the one little area in NJ that's when I started to wonder what was up with that area. It could have been a mobile home park. The houses did kind of look fairly similar and the prices were wayyy too low.

Isn't there a trailer park just beyond the SIE approach to the Goethals Bridge?

Old 04-06-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It looks like modular homes or maybe mobile homes put on a slab. No garages. The neighborhood is just down the road from Old Bridge Airport and the Raceway Park. They should pay you to live there. BTW, I figured that out buy taking a Google walk along a couple of streets.

No basement could mean high water table, difficult soil or cheap builder. Even a crawl space would be better.

I agree with tommy about the schools. More schools means more roof replacements, electronics upgrades, additions. You won't be able to get away from it, but it's a consideration.

Here's a list of tax rates by county and town(ship).

Property Tax Rates for Towns in Monmouth County New Jersey
Lot of the area in that area of Manalapan was developed beginning in the early to middle 1980's as planned "why rent when you can own" communities. Thus the slab foundation construction may have been a way to keep costs down. Don't think the area of "Fawn Run" is in a flood plain, but a quick check of FEMA maps would say.

You have plenty of developments down there where all the streets are named after this or that. There is a place down there where all the streets have Indian names (Blackfoot Drive, Mohawk Lane, Hopi Court.....).

Back to Fawn Run.... that area has a good amount of foreclosed/Fannie Mae Homepath properties.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:22 PM

1,773 posts, read 776,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Isn't there a trailer park just beyond the SIE approach to the Goethals Bridge?
yep, I posted about it a few posts up.

I think it's still there, but I'm really not sure. I havent' been on that side of the island in like 20 years. Back then they were cute little homes with no riff raff living there.

and they don't call it a 'trailer park'... They called it a mobile home park.

I'm going to stay away from Fawn Run and all those deer names anyway. If houses there are that cheap then there's got to be something not so good about them or the area.

Gerania... thanks. I completely forgot about Google maps and walking down the streets.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
yep, I posted about it a few posts up.

I think it's still there, but I'm really not sure. I havent' been on that side of the island in like 20 years. Back then they were cute little homes with no riff raff living there.

and they don't call it a 'trailer park'... They called it a mobile home park.

I'm going to stay away from Fawn Run and all those deer names anyway. If houses there are that cheap then there's got to be something not so good about them or the area.

Gerania... thanks. I completely forgot about Google maps and walking down the streets.
It is still there: On the Ground Floor Of the American Dream - At New York City's Only Trailer Park, Affordable Homes and Rules to Live By - NYTimes.com

Have friends and family in Bulls Head, Graniteville and Mariner's Harbor so am around South Avenue and the SIE often. Once after getting gas had to loop around to get on SIE going westbound and drove past the place. This was about a year or so ago and until then had no idea there were any trailer parks on SI or even in NYC.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
jeeze, I remember Denino's from when I was little and lived in Port Richmond. That brings back some fond memories.. but most importantly they always made a damn good pizza.

Mightyqueen.. my husband currently works in Bklyn and works shift work. He loves working the holidays for the overtime, but the drive in is always horrendous. Sometimes the expressway looks like a parking lot and not moving at all. It's not quite as bad heading towards Jersey, but going into Bklyn is where most of the traffic is headed. I guess a lot of grandma's still live in Bklyn.
Weekends in the summer heading into Jersey is a nightmare too though because everyone is going to the shore, us too... I guess even the residents of NJ run into that traffic too.

I currently live in Pleasant Plains and it's a nice upscale neighborhood of single family homes surrounded by protected park lands and creeks so except for the darn bullfrog that lives somewhere under my deck, it's very quiet here. But it's very lonely. I know the neighbors by sight to wave to, but none of the neighbors interact with each other because we don't even see each other except when we're getting in our cars. We all have inground pools so everyone has a privacy fence. I've invited neighbors over occasionally for barbecues but they're usually going somewhere else so it's not for lack of trying. I'm not looking for neighbors that pop in for coffee, or vice versa, but it would nice to see a human occasionally and just chat about the weather or something. Nobody here even mows their own lawn except for us. They all have lawn services.

This is the first house I've ever lived in where I actually felt isolated and I've been here 17 years. Any other house I've lived in I could walk outside and see someone sitting on their porch, walking their dog or working in their garden, but not here. In my old neighborhood in Great Kills we'd have barbecues and invite a neighbor over spur of the moment and they'd come over. We'd get invited to barbecues. I'd chat over the fence with my neighbors on both sides. Not here. Maybe it's because this is an upscale neighborhood with the perfectly manicured lawns and the people are different or too busy working. I don't know. But I do know it's not what I want when we move.
Sometimes my husband and I joke that we're the only people that really live here and the rest of the houses lights are just set on timers.

I have not-so-close cousins in Aberdeen and they seem to like it there. I don't know where that is though. I get confused with all the Counties and towns. I also have a friend in Atlantic Highlands.. beautiful view overlooking the water.. that might be an option if I ever hit the lottery but I'm not going to hold my breath on that idea.

I see Irish Eyes location is Central NJ.. I actually have a not-so-close cousin there too. We all used to be fairly close until they up and moved to NJ years ago.

All the other area's mentioned here - would they be considered Central NJ, South or North Jersey? I'm so clueless about this.

Bugs, there's a lot of drug use on SI now. It doesn't matter whether it's one of the poorer area's or in one the upscale area's like mine.
Drugs are big part of SI youth and the crime rate reflects that. In the poorer neighborhoods they'll arrest the guy on the street selling drugs. In my neighborhood they're arresting doctors who write bogus scripts and the guys who sell to the dealers.

Know all about the drug problem on SI, and it makes me so sad what is happening to the Rock. Again still have plenty of family including my mother along with friends who still live on SI. As such am out there often enough and or keep abreast of what is going on. Too many young kids and adults dying at home with "no apparent cause" listed. Then there was that doctor out at SIUH who they found dead in what later turned out to be an over dose.

Sadly am here to tell you parts of Monmouth County (Manalapan, Old Bridge, Keansburg, Middletown, ) and other areas of NJ are not that much different: Old Bridge Among 45 New Jersey Towns With The Most Heroin...

Persons move down there from Staten Island or elsewhere in NYC to get their kids "away from that stuff" only to find out the can run but not hide.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:19 AM

226 posts, read 193,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Sadly am here to tell you parts of Monmouth County (Manalapan, Old Bridge, Keansburg, Middletown, ) and other areas of NJ are not that much different: Old Bridge Among 45 New Jersey Towns With The Most Heroin...

Persons move down there from Staten Island or elsewhere in NYC to get their kids "away from that stuff" only to find out the can run but not hide.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to intervene again. Another example of how statistics can be extremely misleading.

Old Bridge is the 18th most populous municipality in the state. So if it has the 23rd most amount of reported heroin abuse cases, it's actually doing slightly better than it should for a municipality of its size. Meanwhile, Middletown which has virtually the same population as Old Bridge is 14th on the list. Marlboro is even worse - it has only about half the population of Old Bridge yet only 15 fewer cases of abuse (192-177).

Frankly, it's a poorly put together ranking - of course there's going to be more heroin in places where there are more people. They should have made the list be the number of cases per 1,000 people. That would paint a much more accurate picture.

Also, Old Bridge is not in Monmouth County.

Those pesky facts again.

Last edited by NJpoliticiansarecrooks; 04-07-2016 at 08:29 AM..

Old 04-07-2016, 09:27 AM

2,487 posts, read 4,850,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJpoliticiansarecrooks View Post
I'm afraid I'm going to have to intervene again. Another example of how statistics can be extremely misleading.

Old Bridge is the 18th most populous municipality in the state. So if it has the 23rd most amount of reported heroin abuse cases, it's actually doing slightly better than it should for a municipality of its size. Meanwhile, Middletown which has virtually the same population as Old Bridge is 14th on the list. Marlboro is even worse - it has only about half the population of Old Bridge yet only 15 fewer cases of abuse (192-177).

Frankly, it's a poorly put together ranking - of course there's going to be more heroin in places where there are more people. They should have made the list be the number of cases per 1,000 people. That would paint a much more accurate picture.

Also, Old Bridge is not in Monmouth County.

Those pesky facts again.
But then the list would have just been Newark, Paterson, Irvington, Orange, Jersey City, and Camden...what fun wold that be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey