Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 05:02 AM

3 posts, read 2,811 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My job is in Brookyln, NY. Could anyone please provide me the below information?

1. What cities in NJ have best High Schools and commute to Brookyln, NY by train/bus is within 1 hr 15 mins?

2. What cities in NJ have the best High Schools and commute to Brookyln, NY by train/bus is within 1 hr 30 mins?

3. What cities in NY have the best High Schools and commute to Brookyln, NY by train/bus is within 1 hr 15 mins or less than that ?

Appreciate your help.

I'm looking for apartments for rent as school is my high priority with more Asian population .

Appreciate your help! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 05:37 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I'm going with "does not exist".

There is no direct train or bus service from NJ to Brooklyn. You have to go into the city and then take a subway to Brooklyn. I was working in Boro Park until recently. I live in Monmouth County. I checked the public transportation, and it would have taken me 2 hours and 20 minutes. Now it might be better from other parts of NJ such as Hudson County, but you are looking for good schools and most of those places are not right on the river.

Driving to Brooklyn is time-consuming because of the backup at the Verrazano.

Think about what you asked. If the normal commute from a town with good schools is an hour and 15 minutes to Manhattan, how could you have that same commute to Brooklyn?

I could be wrong. Perhaps someone else knows of a NJ town with great schools and an short commute to Brooklyn.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:49 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
90 minutes from Brooklyn puts you just on the Jersey side of the Hudson, so pretty much Jersey City, Weehawken, possibly Newark, but even Rutherford is probably more than 90 minutes.

It's going to be your transfer in Manhattan from one bus or train to another that sucks up time every day.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:33 AM

123 posts, read 181,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testbg2020 View Post
1. What cities in NJ have best High Schools and commute to Brookyln, NY by train/bus is within 1 hr 15 mins?
None

Quote:
2. What cities in NJ have the best High Schools and commute to Brookyln, NY by train/bus is within 1 hr 30 mins?
None

Quote:
3. What cities in NY have the best High Schools and commute to Brookyln, NY by train/bus is within 1 hr 15 mins or less than that ?
Dunno

Old 07-26-2017, 11:54 AM

538 posts, read 732,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
90 minutes from Brooklyn puts you just on the Jersey side of the Hudson, so pretty much Jersey City, Weehawken, possibly Newark, but even Rutherford is probably more than 90 minutes.

It's going to be your transfer in Manhattan from one bus or train to another that sucks up time every day.
It all really depends on where in Brooklyn. Downtown BK off the A train is only about 20 minutes from Penn Station. So I am going there from where I live in South Orange it's not THAT bad. As the train takes about 40 minutes it should be doable in the 1:15ish area by the time you add a little time for real-world logistics.

That said, how one interprets 'best high schools' makes a huge difference. There are plenty of decently good high schools, but most of the 'best' aren't great commuting towns. And the towns with the decently good high schools and passable commutes are generally pricey. By virtue of the OP mentioning renting, I have to imagine the budget is not too big. Even renting in these towns is not cheap.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:39 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
The commute from NJ to Manhattan is bad enough, especially with all the train and subway issues lately. I can't even begin to imagine how painful it would be to commute to Brooklyn.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:56 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Penn Station to Metro Tech is just under 20 mins. I would imagine you could do say... Montclair, Glen Ridge, South Orange, or Rutherford to Metro Tech in 90 mins.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:02 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrysdonnell View Post
It all really depends on where in Brooklyn. Downtown BK off the A train is only about 20 minutes from Penn Station.
Once you're on the A train. But it takes a few minutes to walk from NJT to the A train platform and half the time the train is going to be 5 minutes away which means every day you have to add 10 minutes to each end of the commute. I go from NJT to the PATH and then another PATH and all those little dumb little transfers add up even when you just walk across the platform. Dealing with the masses in NYP is going to be a big add as is the constant work that'll be happening on the tunnels and then MTA (hopefully).

Old 07-27-2017, 06:08 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Once you're on the A train. But it takes a few minutes to walk from NJT to the A train platform and half the time the train is going to be 5 minutes away which means every day you have to add 10 minutes to each end of the commute. I go from NJT to the PATH and then another PATH and all those little dumb little transfers add up even when you just walk across the platform. Dealing with the masses in NYP is going to be a big add as is the constant work that'll be happening on the tunnels and then MTA (hopefully).
Great points that need to be taken into consideration for anyone commuting. You don't just magically get off one train and hop on the next one. There's walking and there's waiting, and as you said, "those dumb little transfers add up."

My NJT ride is 55 minutes. My PATH ride is about 25. Is my commute an hour and 20? NO. It takes 8 minutes to drive to the train station, another three or four to pay the machine for the parking and then walk to the side of the tracks where the train comes in the morning. At Newark, the PATH IS on the adjacent track, but there is getting off the train, getting through the turnstiles, waiting for the next PATH train...then at the WTC I've got about ten minutes walking to get to the office. EVERYONE has walking to do at the WTC, even if you are transferring to the NYC Subway.

But I only have to do it three days a week. Today is Thursday, the beginning of my weekend.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:36 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
Quote:
Hi,
My job is in Brookyln, NY. Could anyone please provide me the below information?

Appreciate your help.

I'm looking for apartments for rent as school is my high priority with more Asian population .

Appreciate your help! Thanks in advance!
I worked in Dumbo while living in Jersey City briefly. Answers to your questions are none. Even if that part of Brooklyn is the closet part like Dumbo or Downtown Brooklyn. If Brooklyn you are talking about is further out and not readily accessible (from NJ), forget it.

Closet and fastest town in NJ to Brooklyn is Jersey City (JC), Path into city and take MTA to whichever part in Brooklyn you want to get to.

As for best school. Technically JC has McNair one of top HS...but I always tell people. If your kid is smart and of certain ethnicity, your chance of getting in is good because its like the science schools in NYC. Gotta have grades, gotta be smart, being non-Asian race helps. If not, sorry your kid is going to go to non-McNair which sucks. Your alternative choice is private school which is expensive.

If your job is in Brooklyn and you are looking for good public school. Your commute will need to go up a lot more whether you live in Westchester or Long Island or NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey