U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 12:47 PM

1,408 posts, read 808,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Rarely you'll see a decrease unless there is a mistake. The revalue was needed to bring more parity because of inconsistency with market value.

It will hurt people who has lived in the same location for 20+ years.
That's not possible. The revaluation is not tied to the budget, so the town will collect the same amount in taxes the day following the reval that it would have collected the day prior to the reval; the burden is just divided up differently.

For every dollar increase on one property, they would need to find a dollar decrease to another property (or properties).

It's true that people who have been in the same place for a long time will "lose", but they've been underpaying and causing their neighbors to pay more for a long time. It's only fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 01:34 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,944,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
That's not possible. The revaluation is not tied to the budget, so the town will collect the same amount in taxes the day following the reval that it would have collected the day prior to the reval; the burden is just divided up differently.

For every dollar increase on one property, they would need to find a dollar decrease to another property (or properties).

It's true that people who have been in the same place for a long time will "lose", but they've been underpaying and causing their neighbors to pay more for a long time. It's only fair.
This is correct.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:26 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,645,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post

If you look at the list of 30 towns (they just pick 3 to start with), there are 4 in Union County. Union county will do the reval, no?

This is untue! Each individual town must do it's own re-evaluation. It will of course effect the county taxes each homeowner pays, but by law the town (municipality) must regularly do a town wide re-evaluation. It is not up to the county.

KoalaNJ

Old 04-09-2016, 08:39 AM

3,271 posts, read 1,944,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Rarely you'll see a decrease unless there is a mistake. The revalue was needed to bring more parity because of inconsistency with market value.

It will hurt people who has lived in the same location for 20+ years.
Well, they have been getting a bargain for a long time, so it should all even out.

Regarding all the complaining, carrying on, shirt-ripping, etc. that has been going on since this story broke (yeah, I'm looking at YOU, Fulop), I say cry me a river. My town, like most NJ towns, has been following the law and doing revals every 10 years. Time for every town to do likewise and for people to pay their proportionate share of property taxes. That is the way it is supposed to work. There is no excuse for any town to have gone over 30 years without a reval, except for the local pols not wanting to hear the complaints from townspeople when they get their new assessment. And politicians not wanting to increase their own property taxes, of course.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:24 AM

8,138 posts, read 11,871,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Well, they have been getting a bargain for a long time, so it should all even out.

Regarding all the complaining, carrying on, shirt-ripping, etc. that has been going on since this story broke (yeah, I'm looking at YOU, Fulop), I say cry me a river. My town, like most NJ towns, has been following the law and doing revals every 10 years. Time for every town to do likewise and for people to pay their proportionate share of property taxes. That is the way it is supposed to work. There is no excuse for any town to have gone over 30 years without a reval, except for the local pols not wanting to hear the complaints from townspeople when they get their new assessment. And politicians not wanting to increase their own property taxes, of course.
Just because we've been getting screwed all these years, don't make it fair to say all should be screwed.

The whole assessment of taxes based on property values is wrong.

NJ needs to but will never have tax reform.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:24 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,940,498 times
Some people feel property taxes are the fairest way to tax and income taxes the worst. That is not my opinion but that is why it is tough to change any tax system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or