U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 01:39 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,337,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelalfonso View Post
Hello city-data mates,
We are looking into purchasing a home, our budget for the home is in the range of 260k-300k MAX.
As for the home, we are looking for a 3-4br 2bath with a decent lot size (10k square feet).

Our issue right now is we are pretty open as far as location has to go, so we really are just looking everywhere we think is an ok area.

Open but not limited to a train ride to work since we are about a block from Secaucus Junction station.

commute = max 1hr from work each way (Secaucus NJ 07093).
property taxes = in the range of but not to exceed $7500/yearly
schools = must have good school system (2 boys 7yo and 3yo)
yearly income = 95k-100k

Main interests are family oriented, outdoors and saftey

Any feedback as far as location goes would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx

Have you checked out Dover? It seems to fit most, if not all of your criteria. The one caveat I have is you should stay way from the area around a small part of East Blackwell street, due to safety concerns. The schools are decent, taxes are within or very close to your budget (some homes on larger lots, 3/4 acre, are just over your limit). There are some very nice neighborhoods in town. I did a quick search on zillow and found 39 homes fitting your criteria of 3+ beds and 1.5+ baths under 300K.

KoalaNJ

Last edited by KoalaNJ; 04-05-2016 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 01:43 PM

431 posts, read 193,081 times
You have to head pretty far out west in NJ to meet your criteria I'm afraid. As the previous poster suggested Dover might be an option.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:38 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,337,189 times
miguelalfonso

If you are truly interested in researching data to compare schools, you'd be much better off looking at data from the NJ Dept of Ed's School Reports. The are a great resource for finding unbiased facts regarding a schools performance is the NJ DOE school report cards. On the site you can see any public school's performance report card. New Jersey Department of Education | 2013-2014 Performance Reports If you want to see the schools report cards from over the past several years, you can do so here Department of Education - DOE Archives I find it quite useful to be able to not only see the most recent report, but to also see the reports from over the past several years so that you can clearly get an idea of not only how the schools is currently performing, but what trends you see in the school's performance - is the current scores an anomaly, or part of a general trend (either improving or declining)

Sites like Schooldigger and Greatschools "ratings" are heavily influenced and depend on feedback from parents and teachers. Thus they are inherently biased and IMHO not reliable as a true measure of how good or bad the schools are performing. It's more of a popularity contest. Of course if you live in that school district, pay taxes to support the schools, (and someday will want to sell your home, hopefully for more than you paid for it) your opinion of the school will be biased. Most PTA's and HSA have organized efforts to have parents post to goodschools and other similar sites to post positive reviews. Not to mention the concerted efforts by the teacher's union to have all members post and review their own schools, of course encouraging them to give their own school glowing recommendations and reviews. Schooldigger's method for coming up with these so called "ratings" would certainly not pass muster in a scientific study. (because they take the reported results and "normalize" and ""Average" them by factors on a statewide basis, however this factoring/adjusting of scores they are doing, they will not divulge what factors the are using)

KoalaNJ

Old 04-05-2016, 08:40 PM

686 posts, read 1,257,460 times
Check out White Meadow Lake in Rockaway.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:25 PM

3,781 posts, read 7,969,261 times
I am confused. You do want a train commute or do not? I would think you do if you work a block from secaucus junction but its not clear.

I will try to offer some specific suggestions once cleared up, but I think the biggest thing is to be flexible. When you want to get a lot of the house for the money I think its the best thing you can do.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:04 AM

13 posts, read 11,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I am confused. You do want a train commute or do not? I would think you do if you work a block from secaucus junction but its not clear.

I will try to offer some specific suggestions once cleared up, but I think the biggest thing is to be flexible. When you want to get a lot of the house for the money I think its the best thing you can do.
To clear it up some. What I mean is train or driving, they are both open options. As in I don't mind driving if I must and I also wouldn't mind taking the train in.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:19 AM

225 posts, read 177,230 times
Again with the schools nonsense. Again it's more up to the individual student as well as the home environment. Except for the well-known couple dozen districts that are exceptions and don't need to be named, nearly all public schools in the state are "good."

Old 04-06-2016, 07:35 AM

227 posts, read 164,480 times
The one thing you have in your corner are your work hours... (getting in by 7, out by 2:30); with those hours, going further west is a real option, especially if you will put up with a 1-hr commute (as I believe you stated above).

Assuming your on the road by 6, and can leave work by 2:30, a good part of Hunterdon / Warren county is within 1 hr from Secaucus on an average day....

Old 04-06-2016, 07:38 AM

11,544 posts, read 13,326,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJpoliticiansarecrooks View Post
Again with the schools nonsense. Again it's more up to the individual student as well as the home environment. Except for the well-known couple dozen districts that are exceptions and don't need to be named, nearly all public schools in the state are "good."

More or less, I have to agree with the comment above.
With the exception of the really gritty urban districts, the quality of NJ schools almost always exceeds that of schools in other states.

I was an educator in the Woodbridge School District for 35 years, and it is essentially an...average...school district overall. Certainly that district is not among the best, but it is head and shoulders above the schools in hard-core urban areas. I can tell you that when students transferred into our school from out-of-state, they almost always had to play catch-up for anywhere from a few months to a couple of years, simply because their education had been so incredibly bad in other states.

The most extreme example was Louisiana, as students who transferred from that state were invariably more deficient in their educational backgrounds than students who came to us from Third World countries. No, I am not kidding! The students who came from Florida and South Carolina also tended to have a hard time catching-up to NJ standards, but they were still well ahead of those who came from Louisiana. And, needless to say, those who transferred from NYC, Newark, Elizabeth, Paterson, and Jersey City did not do well in our "average" NJ school district.

So, if the OP is seeking "good" schools for his kids, virtually any NJ school district outside of ghetto neighborhoods will be at least "good", and that level of "goodness" will be more than enough for his kids to succeed in higher education if they are motivated and if they are well supervised at home. Going beyond "good" requires that one be willing to pay the even loftier property taxes that are levied in the districts that are in the "excellent" category.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:21 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,715,045 times
Check out towns like Hawthorne, Saddle Brook and Fair Lawn. There are always 2 or 3 options in each town in your budget. They will be small and require work, probably on busy roads or corner lots but I would say they are your best options at that budget. Fair Lawn has the best schools of those and there are currently 2 houses on the market at the top end of your budget. All of those towns are safe, family friendly communities. Given your small budget you cannot be picky. It might even be worth it to rent for a few years and skip the whole starter house thing. Wait until you can afford a house that you want to live in for 10 years or so and then move. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey