U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2016, 08:47 AM
 
18 posts, read 10,772 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

Awesome Pic.
And I agree with you on on all your points.

Funny thing is that yesterday, I was actually thinking about taking a drive over to Flatbrook and popping off a few boxes of shells at the range. Maybe even break out the muzzeloader. After this post... I'm loading up the truck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2016, 08:58 AM
 
Location: High Bridge, NJ
3,858 posts, read 8,900,401 times
Reputation: 3348
Welcome to the forum-I agree, way too much focus on the Route 1 Corridor in this forum. Northwest Jersey may as well not even exist! I don't go in the South Jersey forum much, but from what little I see it seems like Cherry Hill, Mount Laurel, and not much else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleetuss View Post
Awesome Pic.
That's Ken Lockwood Gorge, where the South Branch of the Raritan runs through the mountains in Hunterdon near Glen Gardner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleetuss View Post
Funny thing is that yesterday, I was actually thinking about taking a drive over to Flatbrook and popping off a few boxes of shells at the range. Maybe even break out the muzzeloader. After this post... I'm loading up the truck.
Christie eases gun rules, says N.J.

You can now legally stop to grab a bite at Jumboland on the way I haven't been up to the Flatbrook in about a year and half. Some buddies and I used to camp, fish, and go four wheeling up at Bear Creek every spring but it's been a while. As I understand it Stokes has closed a lot of the roads that bordered the Gap as well (Struble, Dimon, Coss, Brink, etc...) due to Citiots in Jeeps making a mess of things...

Last edited by Badfish740; 04-12-2016 at 09:14 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 09:28 AM
 
18 posts, read 10,772 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I agree, way too much focus on the Route 1 Corridor in this forum. Northwest Jersey may as well not even exist!
Its a whole new world between I80 34B and the Gap. I moved from Clifton 18 years ago.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
As I understand it Stokes has closed a lot of the roads that bordered the Gap as well (Struble, Dimon, Coss, Brink, etc...) due to Citiots in Jeeps making a mess of things...
Yes - Please don't get me started. I see it daily. Similar to the the buss loads of people from Central Jersey and NYC that show up at Mountain Creek. I live here and I have to go somewhere else to escape the idiocy. I now refuse to Ski there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 09:44 AM
 
16,372 posts, read 19,761,919 times
Reputation: 21224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
NH rated high because you don't have to wear seat belts or motorcycle helmets.
Yup!
In the Live Free or Die state, you have the right to turn yourself into the next Gary Busey.

However--IMHO--for those who opt to drive without seatbelts, and those who choose to ride without a helmet, there should be no requirement for a health insurance company to pay for that person's treatment and continuing care, nor should the government pay--through any form of charity care--for that person's treatment and care.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 09:55 AM
 
Location: High Bridge, NJ
3,858 posts, read 8,900,401 times
Reputation: 3348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
However--IMHO--for those who opt to drive without seatbelts, and those who choose to ride without a helmet, there should be no requirement for a health insurance company to pay for that person's treatment and continuing care, nor should the government pay--through any form of charity care--for that person's treatment and care.
Full discretion, I would never drive a car without a seatbelt, nor ride a motorcycle without a helmet. HOWEVER...by your logic shouldn't we deny medical insurance to obese people with Type II diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, and other ailments caused by their poor dietary choices? Or should we ban all fatty and sugary foods? Perhaps we should allow fatty and sugary foods in moderation, but institute some sort of monitoring system to ensure that everyone is "doing their part?"



If you added it up, obesity costs us far more than people who don't wear helmets or seatbelts. Primarily because those people don't often live to receive much medical care once they're involved in an accident. Without a seatbelt, hitting a tree at as little as 20 MPH can easily kill a person.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 10:02 AM
 
16,372 posts, read 19,761,919 times
Reputation: 21224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Full discretion, I would never drive a car without a seatbelt, nor ride a motorcycle without a helmet. HOWEVER...by your logic shouldn't we deny medical insurance to obese people with Type II diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, and other ailments caused by their poor dietary choices? Or should we ban all fatty and sugary foods? Perhaps we should allow fatty and sugary foods in moderation, but institute some sort of monitoring system to ensure that everyone is "doing their part?"

I don't think that this is a valid comparison, because there are no laws--AFAIK--banning bad diets.
However, most states do have both seatbelt and helmet laws--and for good reasons.


Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 10:08 AM
 
18 posts, read 10,772 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I don't think that this is a valid comparison, because there are no laws--AFAIK--banning bad diets.
And there lies the problem. Things that really do matter do not matter in this country. Its all about the almighty dollar.

Statistically... The US is the "Fattest" country on the planet.
Europe has banned the GMO's and cancer causing chemicals that are killing us and our kids already.

But Freedom is the American way.
Another round of McDonalds to please! ... and could you supersize that!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 10:56 AM
 
16,372 posts, read 19,761,919 times
Reputation: 21224
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleetuss View Post
And there lies the problem. Things that really do matter do not matter in this country. Its all about the almighty dollar.

...and if there was an attempt to outlaw bad dietary habits, then there would be outcries about the incursion of "Big Government" into people's kitchens.

Do you recall the epithets that were tossed at Mike Bloomberg when he wanted to outlaw supersized soft drinks? In case you don't recall, he was referred to as a "Nazi"--which of course trivializes what actually took place when the National Socialists ruled Germany.


Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 11:34 AM
 
Location: High Bridge, NJ
3,858 posts, read 8,900,401 times
Reputation: 3348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I don't think that this is a valid comparison, because there are no laws--AFAIK--banning bad diets. However, most states do have both seatbelt and helmet laws--and for good reasons.
You inferred that people who don't wear seatbelts or helmets could potentially cost the rest of us money in the form of increased insurance premiums and/or taxes because of their higher rate of serious injury. I pointed out that if we're going in that direction, why not look at the things that cost us the most money? The economic cost of diabetes in the U.S. in 2012 was $245 billion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Do you recall the epithets that were tossed at Mike Bloomberg when he wanted to outlaw supersized soft drinks? In case you don't recall, he was referred to as a "Nazi"--which of course trivializes what actually took place when the National Socialists ruled Germany.
I never referred to him as a Nazi, nor would I refer to Jim Kenny (who is pushing this nonsense now in Philadelphia) as a Nazi. I simply refer to them as "wrong."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 04:34 PM
 
16,372 posts, read 19,761,919 times
Reputation: 21224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I never referred to him as a Nazi

Nor did I state that you did!
However, that epithet was very freely thrown around by lots of other people when Bloomberg suggested that it might not be healthy for people to drink 32 ounces of high fructose corn syrup-sweetened soft drinks at a sitting. The correlation with an increased propensity for Type-II Diabetes was mentioned in the course of the city's efforts in banning super-sized soft drinks, but the hue and cry of the public against those efforts was...significant.

I don't recall any significant protests when seatbelt and helmet laws were promulgated.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:31 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top