Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 07:33 AM

189 posts, read 361,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
When you say NJ has a "gun culture" I'm pretty sure you mean those folks who live in hill country where I have friends and yes they are gun people but mostly they are sportsmen. And Concealed Carry is not really on their radar.

This is JMO but I think the need to concealed carry has more to do about the level of paranoia than anything else.
Generally NJ residents are less paranoid about confrontation than those people living is gun friendly states.

I will admit I am a little more afraid of confrontation in NC than I am in NJ.

Die Hard 2nd amendment people will disregard all facts concerning gun violence because they want a gun and that's all they care about.

Common sense never enters their thought process.

Again JMO.

Talk about common sense, or the lack of it....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 07:37 AM

189 posts, read 361,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No, that is not what it means to me. To me gun culture is guns playing a big role in your life. Like, bringing them to church or a restaurant. Bringing them out in public. Showing them on your body. To me, the only people who "wear" guns are cops. To a Southerner, perhaps they think of cops AND the average person as wearing a gun or at least being capable of wearing a gun. THIS precisely is "gun culture." It's not just what IS, but what one THINKS. What one is used to, how one grew up. Their attitude towards guns and how necessary and useful and predominant they are. It has nothing to do with rednecks being reckless and shooting each other. That does tend to happen the more "gun culture" you have simply because statistics but it's not the definition of gun culture. It's more an attitude than what actually is and what actually happens. Because we don't have those laws in NJ that allow open carry, how could we possibly have that attitude? How can we have that part of culture ingrained in us when it doesn't even exist here? Maybe you have the desire for it to exist, but until it does, don't pretend you and the average NC resident are the same.

I remember scrolling through instagram one day because I have a Jeep Wrangler, I love Jeep Wranglers, and I search for others' Wrangler pics on instagram. I found one Southern high school girl from Alabama or something, and she had posted a bunch of pictures from her prom and prom pre-party. In a few pictures, they were posing beside a muddy Jeep, a bunch of her friends and her, all in their formal prom wear, posing with guns. That to me is gun culture. That is not something I have ever even thought to do in NJ, much less seen it done or done myself. To pose for prom pics with a muddy Jeep in the woods and a bunch of guns. I was honestly quite shocked to see guns being shown off in formal wear prom pictures.

There you go with your perhaps of what Southerners think, I bet you watch a lot of Mayberry reruns and wonder where Barney lives with his single bullet. Perhaps that could kill someone watching TV you know.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:17 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorxxx View Post
There you go with your perhaps of what Southerners think, I bet you watch a lot of Mayberry reruns and wonder where Barney lives with his single bullet. Perhaps that could kill someone watching TV you know.
Fact is, you guys are allowed to carry and we basically are not. The process is very difficult to be able to carry if you are not a cop or security officer or otherwise need one for the job. Besides criminals, essentially, no one carries a gun to a restaurant or church or while on a walk through their town. It's no secret that NJ has some of the toughest gun laws in the country. There is a different mindset when laws are different like that. Look at PDD's posts - anyone may be carrying, so so will I. And the person a few pages back who spoke of bringing guns and tasers while walking their dogs through a suburban neighborhood. It's not like that here. I don't need to say "perhaps Southerners think this" when 2 people who live/lived there already confirmed what I thought they may think. I'm not saying all southerners may think that, but look... two on this thread already have said they do.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:39 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I don't really like to disagree with my NJ citizens but NJ does not have a gun culture, NC has a gun culture. Until you have lived in NC you have no idea of the amount of domestic and sometimes just an argument turns to gun violence in a state where you can carry.

I am a gun owner with a carry permit but never carry on my person. In my car, in my house , yes, just in case. But when you allow just about anybody to carry you wind up with too many wackos carrying guns.

Of course criminals carry in every state, you are never going to stop that. But when law abiding citizens with a carry permit forget the rules and start imbibing along with their buddies bad things are going to happen.

In NJ rowdy guys in a bar get into fist fights, in NC they get into gun fights.

Be careful for what you wish.

If I ever decided to move back to NJ my guns would stay in the house because I have less of a fear or being assaulted in NJ then I do in NC.

I am in favor of everybody being allowed to easily purchase a gun for in home protection but that's another topic.
Unfortunately a young woman who grew up with my kids was murdered on Good Friday as well as her husband and mother in law by their neighbor who burst through their front door in Wake Forest NC guns a blazing. Yes, there was bad blood between them but murder is not the way to solve it. Sadly they were in the process of packing as they has intended to move away from this neighbor.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:45 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorxxx View Post
Talk about common sense, or the lack of it....lol
Please explain.

If you only look at one side of a debate how can you make a common sense decision?

I have lived in NJ around gun people and non gun people.

I now live in NC around gun people and non gun people.

I am able to make common sense decisions based on what I have experienced.

What makes you the expert on what is and is not common sense.

If you want to talk about lack of common sense, just listen to political junkies.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Not always...

Cops: Parking dispute may have sparked N.C. triple homicide

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A Charlotte contestant on America's Next Top Model is one of three people murdered Tuesday in a house on Norris Avenue

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – Three people were shot and killed Tuesday night at a condominium complex in Chapel Hill. Police said the shooting happened at the Finley Forest complex after 5 p.m. according to a report on WFMY News 2 sister station WRAL.

Then we have this one not long ago..

WAKE FOREST, N.C. – After Jonathan Sander was ordered held without bail Monday in the shooting deaths of three family members from New Jersey, the son of one of the victims called out.

Every state has them.
Yes, that woman grew up with my kids. I've known her since she was a kid...very sad.
The judge refused to grant them a permanent order of protection. Had he done so, when they called police Friday morning he would have been arrested and not around Friday evening to murder them.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
The gun culture in that example was that they even thought to pose with their guns for prom pics in the first place. How many NJ kids are going to say, here's an idea, let's all hold our (because you know the guns in the pics I'm referring to were probably the kids') GUNS in our prom pics at pre-prom?!
I saw that picture on the internet, they also had the Confederate Flag or Battle Flag in the photo.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:38 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Besides criminals, essentially, no one carries a gun to a restaurant or church or while on a walk through their town.
So you're saying that's the way it should be? That while we know criminals are freely ignoring the law and carrying guns, law abiding citizens should still be barred from doing so?

Quote:
It's no secret that NJ has some of the toughest gun laws in the country. There is a different mindset when laws are different like that.
Tough gun laws only affect those who follow them-see above. They certainly haven't changed the mindset of the criminals that carry them.

Quote:
Look at PDD's posts - anyone may be carrying, so so will I.
Again, you stated above that in NJ, "anyone may be carrying," and that if they are, they're a criminal to boot! So again, how does it make sense to bar law abiding citizens from doing so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I saw that picture on the internet, they also had the Confederate Flag or Battle Flag in the photo.
Oh heaven forbid... Unlike the idiots who fly them up here whose great grandparents probably came through Ellis Island long after Lee surrendered to Grant, I can't begrudge an actual Southerner for flying the flag. Finally, I'd still love to know how Northwest NJ is a liberal gun hating mecca in light of the examples cited:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/43799229-post50.html

Old 04-22-2016, 10:01 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
So you're saying that's the way it should be? That while we know criminals are freely ignoring the law and carrying guns, law abiding citizens should still be barred from doing so?

Tough gun laws only affect those who follow them-see above. They certainly haven't changed the mindset of the criminals that carry them.

Again, you stated above that in NJ, "anyone may be carrying," and that if they are, they're a criminal to boot! So again, how does it make sense to bar law abiding citizens from doing so?
I'm not commenting at all on what should be or what is right (though I did share some opinions earlier on), I'm commenting on what is. I'm not going to get into a gun debate with you right now - or ever, actually.

BTW - the "anyone may be carrying" was in reference to NC, not NJ.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:14 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
BTW - the "anyone may be carrying" was in reference to NC, not NJ.
Yes, but you also said this:

Quote:
Fact is, you guys are allowed to carry and we basically are not. The process is very difficult to be able to carry if you are not a cop or security officer or otherwise need one for the job. Besides criminals, essentially, no one carries a gun to a restaurant or church or while on a walk through their town.
I would actually guess that there are more criminals carrying guns ILLEGALLY in NJ than there are law abiding citizens carrying LEGALLY in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey