U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2016, 10:28 AM
 
12,907 posts, read 11,710,522 times
Reputation: 18319

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I think "gun culture" also means different things to different people. To JerseyGirl415 and others in this thread it apparently means drunken, irresponsible rednecks waving guns around, leaving them laying around for children to play with, and shooting each other over parking spaces. "Gun culture" to me means accepting guns as part of normal life. To people in suburban/urban parts of NJ, the mere sight of a gun will cause many people to go into a panic as if the thing is going to jump off the table and starting shooting people on its own. Case in point:

West Windsor-Plainboro Students Being Dismissed After Earlier Lockdowns

Here in Hunterdon, for example, we embrace guns as a normal part of life and don't regard them as evil objects with nefarious minds of their own. For example, the Hunterdon County chapter of 4H features a club that teaches shooting sports to *GASP* CHILDREN!!! :

Hunterdon Deadeyes

I'm sure it seems awfully barbaric to our urban and suburban neighbors, but in fact, it's a great family oriented and safety driven program.



Again, all of this from a guy who exercises his right to carry.
No, that is not what it means to me. To me gun culture is guns playing a big role in your life. Like, bringing them to church or a restaurant. Bringing them out in public. Showing them on your body. To me, the only people who "wear" guns are cops. To a Southerner, perhaps they think of cops AND the average person as wearing a gun or at least being capable of wearing a gun. THIS precisely is "gun culture." It's not just what IS, but what one THINKS. What one is used to, how one grew up. Their attitude towards guns and how necessary and useful and predominant they are. It has nothing to do with rednecks being reckless and shooting each other. That does tend to happen the more "gun culture" you have simply because statistics but it's not the definition of gun culture. It's more an attitude than what actually is and what actually happens. Because we don't have those laws in NJ that allow open carry, how could we possibly have that attitude? How can we have that part of culture ingrained in us when it doesn't even exist here? Maybe you have the desire for it to exist, but until it does, don't pretend you and the average NC resident are the same.

I remember scrolling through instagram one day because I have a Jeep Wrangler, I love Jeep Wranglers, and I search for others' Wrangler pics on instagram. I found one Southern high school girl from Alabama or something, and she had posted a bunch of pictures from her prom and prom pre-party. In a few pictures, they were posing beside a muddy Jeep, a bunch of her friends and her, all in their formal prom wear, posing with guns. That to me is gun culture. That is not something I have ever even thought to do in NJ, much less seen it done or done myself. To pose for prom pics with a muddy Jeep in the woods and a bunch of guns. I was honestly quite shocked to see guns being shown off in formal wear prom pictures.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2016, 10:43 AM
 
3,461 posts, read 2,536,210 times
Reputation: 6164
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
What do you mean nice try? I didn't say I am unhappy in NC. Just pointing out some differences between the two states.

I like both NJ and NC but there are major difference that may bother some people.

There are people from both states that have never visited the other state but because of ignorance have negative opinions.
If you have lived in more than one areas of the US, and looked closely a demographic data such as from the Census, you get a very accurate picture of what it is like to live someplace you never visited. For example, if you are use to living in an area where the average highest educational attainment is a bachelors and Masters degrees, compared to a place where the highest didn't finish high school, you don't need to visit and live there to get an idea. This is why we have data to make sense of things. Companies use this data all the time for marketing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 03:07 PM
PDD PDD started this thread
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 16,062,082 times
Reputation: 11934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I think "gun culture" also means different things to different people. To JerseyGirl415 and others in this thread it apparently means drunken, irresponsible rednecks waving guns around, leaving them laying around for children to play with, and shooting each other over parking spaces. "Gun culture" to me means accepting guns as part of normal life. To people in suburban/urban parts of NJ, the mere sight of a gun will cause many people to go into a panic as if the thing is going to jump off the table and starting shooting people on its own. Case in point:

West Windsor-Plainboro Students Being Dismissed After Earlier Lockdowns

Here in Hunterdon, for example, we embrace guns as a normal part of life and don't regard them as evil objects with nefarious minds of their own. For example, the Hunterdon County chapter of 4H features a club that teaches shooting sports to *GASP* CHILDREN!!! :

Hunterdon Deadeyes

I'm sure it seems awfully barbaric to our urban and suburban neighbors, but in fact, it's a great family oriented and safety driven program.



Again, all of this from a guy who exercises his right to carry.
I will be visiting NJ real soon taking a ride up rt 31 into Red Neck land in Warren County

I will visit some of my favorite NJ restaurants and will not be looking over my shoulder for the bad guys with guns.

I'm leaving my right to carry permit and paranoia along with my gun where it belongs, in NC.

I understand States Rights and agree with them and so do most NJ residents.

If the ability to carry concealed is that important you do have an option. Call your representative and ask him/her to petition to have concealed carry put on the ballot and let NJ voters decide.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 03:17 PM
 
Location: High Bridge, NJ
3,858 posts, read 8,902,041 times
Reputation: 3348
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I found one Southern high school girl from Alabama or something, and she had posted a bunch of pictures from her prom and prom pre-party. In a few pictures, they were posing beside a muddy Jeep, a bunch of her friends and her, all in their formal prom wear, posing with guns. That to me is gun culture. That is not something I have ever even thought to do in NJ, much less seen it done or done myself. To pose for prom pics with a muddy Jeep in the woods and a bunch of guns. I was honestly quite shocked to see guns being shown off in formal wear prom pictures.
That's not "gun culture," it's just pointless and dumb. Sounds like something out of a bad pop country music video. Kids in this part of NJ are guilty of such behavior also. My wife is a high school teacher out here and always gets a chuckle about the kids who are "REDNECKS," the loud mouthed ones with Confederate flag stickers on their mud covered trucks blaring Toby Keith, who wear dirty boots and jeans to school everyday, etc... Meanwhile the kid's got an Italian last name and his parents moved out to Hunterdon from Clifton for the good schools Conversely, she also has a fair amount of students whose families have been farming in Hunterdon County for generations who don't pull such theatrics and are nice, quiet, respectable kids.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 03:35 PM
 
12,907 posts, read 11,710,522 times
Reputation: 18319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
That's not "gun culture," it's just pointless and dumb. Sounds like something out of a bad pop country music video. Kids in this part of NJ are guilty of such behavior also. My wife is a high school teacher out here and always gets a chuckle about the kids who are "REDNECKS," the loud mouthed ones with Confederate flag stickers on their mud covered trucks blaring Toby Keith, who wear dirty boots and jeans to school everyday, etc... Meanwhile the kid's got an Italian last name and his parents moved out to Hunterdon from Clifton for the good schools Conversely, she also has a fair amount of students whose families have been farming in Hunterdon County for generations who don't pull such theatrics and are nice, quiet, respectable kids.
The gun culture in that example was that they even thought to pose with their guns for prom pics in the first place. How many NJ kids are going to say, here's an idea, let's all hold our (because you know the guns in the pics I'm referring to were probably the kids') GUNS in our prom pics at pre-prom?!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Deep in the Woods
2,750 posts, read 3,006,898 times
Reputation: 3364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I think "gun culture" also means different things to different people. To JerseyGirl415 and others in this thread it apparently means drunken, irresponsible rednecks waving guns around, leaving them laying around for children to play with, and shooting each other over parking spaces. "Gun culture" to me means accepting guns as part of normal life. To people in suburban/urban parts of NJ, the mere sight of a gun will cause many people to go into a panic as if the thing is going to jump off the table and starting shooting people on its own. Case in point:

West Windsor-Plainboro Students Being Dismissed After Earlier Lockdowns

Here in Hunterdon, for example, we embrace guns as a normal part of life and don't regard them as evil objects with nefarious minds of their own. For example, the Hunterdon County chapter of 4H features a club that teaches shooting sports to *GASP* CHILDREN!!! :

Hunterdon Deadeyes

I'm sure it seems awfully barbaric to our urban and suburban neighbors, but in fact, it's a great family oriented and safety driven program.



Again, all of this from a guy who exercises his right to carry.
The picture you paint of Hunterdon County as some gun-embracing area has not at all been my experience, and the High Bridge/Clinton area has become basically suburbia, and probably the most densely populated town in Hunterdon County (#2 at least, Flemington being #1). Hunterdon is mostly McMansionland with a slightly more rustic vibe than Morris and Somerset, which is squarely Stepford suburbia. Take Bridgewater out of Somerset and you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart. I say this not as a diss on Hunterdon, which is arguably the best county in NJ (Ocean a close second IMO).

Now Warren Cty is a little more gun toting happy. The last true bastions of redneck in NJ are basically the deep Pine Barrens and Warren County, IMO. Walk into a cafe in Belvidere and you'll see lot of camo and in Frenchtown, lots of khaki

Sussex is even becoming less redneck, can't believe all the rich kids up here. Kids up here make fun of the farmers and all have the latest iPhones. Many drive BMWs and their parents moved up from the city for the "rural" lifestyle. I'm actually glad I didn't decide to live here full time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 05:24 PM
 
16,379 posts, read 19,769,523 times
Reputation: 21224
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
The picture you paint of Hunterdon County as some gun-embracing area has not at all been my experience, and the High Bridge/Clinton area has become basically suburbia, and probably the most densely populated town in Hunterdon County

I used to be very friendly with a couple from High Bridge, until they moved from the area. They definitely eschewed anything related to a "gun culture", did not own any guns, and--based on some discussions with them on this topic--had no desire to own guns.

Take Bridgewater out of Somerset and you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart. I say this not as a diss on Hunterdon, which is arguably the best county in NJ (Ocean a close second IMO).

...if you can somehow ignore the reality that Ocean County has the worst opiate/opioid addiction problem in the state, per capita, and that its crime rate is seriously impacted by the degree of this problem in the county.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Deep in the Woods
2,750 posts, read 3,006,898 times
Reputation: 3364
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight
The picture you paint of Hunterdon County as some gun-embracing area has not at all been my experience, and the High Bridge/Clinton area has become basically suburbia, and probably the most densely populated town in Hunterdon County

I used to be very friendly with a couple from High Bridge, until they moved from the area. They definitely eschewed anything related to a "gun culture", did not own any guns, and--based on some discussions with them on this topic--had no desire to own guns.

Take Bridgewater out of Somerset and you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart. I say this not as a diss on Hunterdon, which is arguably the best county in NJ (Ocean a close second IMO).

...if you can somehow ignore the reality that Ocean County has the worst opiate/opioid addiction problem in the state, per capita, and that its crime rate is seriously impacted by the degree of this problem in the county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That's why I said IMO. Nonetheless, Ocean has the best beaches, including the last remaining natural beach in NJ for any substantial length. You can be partying in Seaside Heights with guidos and then offroading with rednecks into deep, untouched wooded areas the same day!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 05:59 PM
 
16,379 posts, read 19,769,523 times
Reputation: 21224
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
You can be partying in Seaside Heights with guidos and then offroading with rednecks...
Is that supposed to be a recommendation, or a couple of reasons for people to avoid the area?

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2016, 07:54 AM
 
Location: High Bridge, NJ
3,858 posts, read 8,902,041 times
Reputation: 3348
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
The picture you paint of Hunterdon County as some gun-embracing area has not at all been my experience...
Mr. Kinney begs to differ:

PennEast workers threatened by gun-toting man, cops say | NJ.com

I hope he beats the charges-PennEast is running rampant all over this county and trampling landowners and farmers in the process, all with the blessing of the Federal Government. Their contractors swear up and down that they will only enter property with express permission from the landowner but somehow incidents like these keep happening...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Walk into a cafe in Belvidere and you'll see lot of camo and in Frenchtown, lots of khaki
There's a lot more to Hunterdon County then Frenchtown. Take a ride a few miles east into Kingwood:

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-d..._will_try.html

Stop into the county's newest indoor range in Raritan:

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-d...gun_staff.html

And then hop on Route 31 up to Glen Gardner to Jim Flynn's truck repair and gun shop:

http://www.njgunforums.com/forum/ind...-truck-repair/

Last edited by Badfish740; 04-22-2016 at 08:11 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top