Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 12:45 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,440,622 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I've finally decided I need to cut the cord on my cable and phone. almost 200 bucks for cable/internet & phone. 2 of which I rarely use. have the roku,xbox and amazon fire to stream, now my question is this. does anyone know of any other internet only companies besides Verizon and cablevision in the Monmouth county area? Verizon and cablevision internet only prices are just to damn much.. and cablevision says since im a customer I cannot get any cut the cord deals... I hate these companies..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 12:59 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Used to be a company that would give you a WiFi box and it would hookup to their system, forget the name but last I think Sprint bought them.

They might be offering the service now.

Also if you are high up enough everyone can get about 50 to 60 high quality digital TV signals 24/7 free over the air. Lots of new small antennas for that too. Most of the time with pay TV you are watching the tv channels that are free anyway, networks, news etc.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:00 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
I basically play them off each other every two years. Right now we've on Verizon for about $45 after taxes. We were on Comcast before that for about the same. They have no customer loyalty so this customer has no company loyalty.

Logically you'd treat existing customers better than new ones but they don't. So every two years or so I become a new customer.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:22 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
I basically play them off each other every two years. Right now we've on Verizon for about $45 after taxes. We were on Comcast before that for about the same. They have no customer loyalty so this customer has no company loyalty.

Logically you'd treat existing customers better than new ones but they don't. So every two years or so I become a new customer.
I've been doing that for the past 4 years. I only have Comcast where I live and they offer a "new customer" promotion for the first 12 months. I call them at the end of 12th month to request a termination of service. Call back again and get a new internet only service on wife's name. A year after, terminate her service and get it under my name. Plan to do it for foreseeable future. I have my own modem and do self-install; hardly takes 15 minutes.

The first year I called them, I told them if they don't extend the new customer promotion I will terminate and get a new service under my wife's name. They said that's ok but they won't extend my promotion period. So that's exactly what I did, and continue to do.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
The first year I called them, I told them if they don't extend the new customer promotion I will terminate and get a new service under my wife's name. They said that's ok but they won't extend my promotion period. So that's exactly what I did, and continue to do.
Using the system against itself. I love it. But their logic makes me shake my head.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:32 PM

ok I can give that a try.. I also plan on get the over air antenna also but I need my AMC so most likely will get the sling tv. But that roku 2 is so awesome such a great selection of free channels.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
I've been doing that for the past 4 years. I only have Comcast where I live and they offer a "new customer" promotion for the first 12 months. I call them at the end of 12th month to request a termination of service. Call back again and get a new internet only service on wife's name. A year after, terminate her service and get it under my name. Plan to do it for foreseeable future. I have my own modem and do self-install; hardly takes 15 minutes.

what do you mean when you say you have your own modem? what does that do when you have your own? do you still need to use the companies as well?

Old 04-13-2016, 02:39 PM

Cable internet comes into your house and then needs a modem to convert from the coax to a RJ45 Ethernet connection to plug into your computer.

Most cable companies are content to rent you a modem for about ten-fifteen bucks a month, but they are widely available to buy for less than a hundred dollars, which will save you a ton of money over the five years or so before it goes bad. So myself and davenj08 have purchased modems and tell the company to keep their rental and I'll keep my money. You do not need to use the company's anything. It also makes it easier when you cancel after two years because you don't have to send anything back.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:58 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
buying your own modem is a must.

there really arent many options for most people. i am stuck with comcast because thats the only high speed internet available to me. however, i always call every service company and say i will cancel and they usually offer me a discount. comcast only gives me a $10 "loyalty discount" now so i am getting "Performance Internet" for $60.

the best company when it comes to giving discounts is directv.

i remember when i tried it with verizon wireless and they just told me that i dont even need to bother calling to cancel, just switch providers. i am now with cricket wireless and living la vida loca.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:04 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Used to be a company that would give you a WiFi box and it would hookup to their system, forget the name but last I think Sprint bought them.

They might be offering the service now.

Also if you are high up enough everyone can get about 50 to 60 high quality digital TV signals 24/7 free over the air. Lots of new small antennas for that too. Most of the time with pay TV you are watching the tv channels that are free anyway, networks, news etc.
Clear (Wireless Internet) use what is call WiMax (More or less 5G) on a Radio spectrum that was leased from Sprint. It never really caught on and Clear(went under) and was taken over by Sprint (Since they owned the rights to the Radio spectrum) , and Sprint shut it down in November/2015 after giving users 6 months notice it would shut down. Sprint is planning to use that spectrum to for it Cellular data usage,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: