Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 06:35 AM

14 posts, read 12,743 times

Advertisements

I actually was looking around at Milford New Jersey yesterday... It does seem to be about a 45 minute commute down 29 South... Anyone know what traffic would be like along there in the morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 07:12 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svknies View Post
I actually was looking around at Milford New Jersey yesterday... It does seem to be about a 45 minute commute down 29 South... Anyone know what traffic would be like along there in the morning?
Were you looking in the Borough of Milford itself or at properties with Milford mailing addresses? The Borough is a very small town right on the river where the Upper Black Eddy-Milford bridge crosses with a couple of restaurants, a gas station, and not much else. Holland Township, which completely surrounds Milford, as well as Alexandria Township, just to the east, both have lots of areas with a Milford mailing address. Both Alexandria and Holland are beautiful and rural. Alexandria's property taxes and home prices are going to be a bit higher than Holland. Holland is priced a little lower because it's a little more remote, and they have one of the lowest municipal tax rates due to revenue received by the township from JCP&L which operates a small natural gas fired power plant on the river north of Milford.

Route 29 is the most direct route, but the river towns are very heavily populated with state workers and other folks who work in Trenton. The biggest headache is when there is an accident or road work as 29 is a narrow, two lane highway that for many stretches has nothing but the river on one side and a rock face on the other. Once there is a traffic slowdown you can get stuck with no way to turn off for a while. However, from Holland or Alexandria you can wind your way through the county roads (such as Route 579) down to Route 31 in Ringoes and take that straight into Ewing. Easily doable in an hour or less. My wife commutes through this area and the only "traffic slowdowns" are the occasional loose head of livestock, small herds of deer, and farmers moving equipment between fields.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:44 PM

That's great info thanks-you said there was a couple of rivertowns where state employees live- any other suggestions that you would recommend?

Old 04-18-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
That's great info thanks-you said there was a couple of rivertowns where state employees live- any other suggestions that you would recommend?
There are three river towns in Hunterdon County. Keep in mind that all of them are relatively small, but the larger townships that surround them have the same mailing addresses. All have a kind of artsy vibe :

Milford - Furthest north, very small. There are a couple of good restaurants (Milford Oyster House and the Ship Inn Brewpub), but as I said before, there's not much there. Surrounding towns with Milford mailing addresses are Holland Township and Alexandria Township.

Frenchtown - A little bigger than Milford with a few more restaurants. The National Hotel is the largest/nicest restaurant but there are other smaller, less formal ones.

Stockton - Smaller than Milford and Frenchtown in the sense that they really only have one restaurant (The Stockton Inn). There's some kind of small cafe by the river, a liquor store, and a few other businesses. Surrounding towns with Stockton mailing addresses are Delaware Township and Kingwood Township

Lambertville - Lambertville is the only city in Hunterdon County and is the largest town-lots of restaurants, bars, and coffee shops, art galleries, etc...very artsy, funky, and liberal. West Amwell Township surrounds Lambertville.

What you need to know about each of them is that they are very small and so are the properties. Each of them were old mill towns and/or ferry crossings and are very historic, as is the housing stock-in other words, old, close together, and on very small lots. These towns are very popular with singles, young professionals with no kids, etc...but there are plenty of families there too. It really just depends on what you're looking for. We like to visit to access the river, go out to dinner, and do other fun things, but we'd like more property so we're not looking there.

The schools are good but small-each town has their own elementary school and I know for a fact that Milford has a few grades where there are less than ten kids. Lambertville has the largest school system. All of the towns attend regional high schools. Milford and Frenchtown go to Delaware Valley Regional, Stockton and Lambertville go to South Hunterdon Regional. I'd encourage you to browse the towns' websites to try to get a better feel for them. As for state employees living in the towns, the most live in Lambertville, and it kind of drops off as you go north, understandably. Always happy to help a potential Hunterdon/Warren resident as there aren't many here!

Old 04-23-2016, 08:29 AM

38 posts, read 79,472 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone, here are more details.
-$200-225k budget, hoping for prop.taxes 5k
-Need decent schools (no lower then 7 rating pn greatschools)
-Hour commute open to
-Actually going to Scotch Road Ewing versus dt Trenton
-Prefer rural, semi-rural (love Warren Co), not interested in living around Ewing/Trenton

This is of course a wish list and I know we will have compromises to make in terms of whats realistic (thats where you all come in :-) )
How much house do you hope to get for that price?

Old 04-23-2016, 08:50 AM

Ideally I would love a 3-bedroom 2-bath but we are open to one bathroom... The house actually is not as important to us as its location in proximity to fishing for my husband the outdoors work. Right now we live in a 1400 square foot home with one child I foresee one more child coming in the future and we're still fine with this size

Old 04-23-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Ideally I would love a 3-bedroom 2-bath but we are open to one bathroom... The house actually is not as important to us as its location in proximity to fishing for my husband the outdoors work. Right now we live in a 1400 square foot home with one child I foresee one more child coming in the future and we're still fine with this size
A three bed one bath on a smallish (1/4 to 1/2 acre) lot could be doable in that range in Holland/Kingwood/Alexandria. Keep in mind though that expanding the house once more children come along will also mean installing a new septic system to accommodate additional bedrooms.

Last edited by Badfish740; 04-23-2016 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey