Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 07:10 AM

862 posts, read 976,122 times

Advertisements

I have pavers and have no problem with snow, yes they have to be installed correctly, I believe they put stone and then stone dust and then placed them, only issue is occasional weed, I keep roundup spray if I see 1 pop up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 11:07 AM

167 posts, read 335,125 times
I live in the northern suburbs of IL, just below the WI boarder. There's lots of snow here in the winter. A few of the homes in my neighborhood have pavers in their driveways, albeit smaller driveways (2-3 cars long by 2 cars wide). I haven't noticed any issues with their driveways over the past couple winters I've lived here. I have an asphalt driveway and it does attract the sun to melt snow quicker tho. The paved driveways sure do look nice.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:47 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyStrong1 View Post
I would do asphalt over pavers regardless of the price. Asphalt melts snow and ice better than pavers. Also, while pavers might look better when new, after some time, I think asphalt looks better. Pavers fade, become uneven, and weeds grow in the cracks. Pavers do last longer if installed well, but asphalt already lasts a very long time, so I don't think this is really an issue.
^^ what he said. Pavers look good but once they grow old and become uneven, shoveling would be a nightmare. And don't even get me started on the weeds going in the cracks. Asphalt is nearly zero maintenance and works well.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:55 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
^^ what he said. Pavers look good but once they grow old and become uneven, shoveling would be a nightmare. And don't even get me started on the weeds going in the cracks. Asphalt is nearly zero maintenance and works well.
I just think it looks nice too-there's something that just looks very neat and clean about a jet black driveway.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:26 PM

789 posts, read 702,837 times
Repeat: Seems like a lot of the comments above are from folks who either don't understand how modern paver driveways are installed or are just guessing at the problems. Properly installed paver driveways are the absolute most durable choice over both asphalt or concrete. Clearly there is a price for it though.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:15 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Repeat: Seems like a lot of the comments above are from folks who either don't understand how modern paver driveways are installed or are just guessing at the problems. Properly installed paver driveways are the absolute most durable choice over both asphalt or concrete. Clearly there is a price for it though.
If you could elaborate on how and why that would probably help. I'm not asking this to challenge you, but rather because I'm genuinely curious. I suppose that a lot of the problem of heaving could be alleviated by installing a very generous base of clean stone and provide adequate drainage for it so that there would be no moisture buildup that would freeze in cold temperatures.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:47 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
My driveway is half concrete and half asphalt. The concrete portion is towards the back of the house near my deck. We were told it was built this way because concrete is cooler and won't give off so much excess heat in the summertime.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:11 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Maybe a third choice...

EcoGrid Gravel Driveway Solution - Environmental Asphalt & Paving Alternative

I'd go for this, especially in towns that restrict non permeable surfaces.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:29 PM

167 posts, read 335,125 times
How does the EcoGrid Gravel Driveway hold up to snow plows?

Old 04-25-2016, 06:53 PM

789 posts, read 702,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
If you could elaborate on how and why that would probably help. I'm not asking this to challenge you, but rather because I'm genuinely curious. I suppose that a lot of the problem of heaving could be alleviated by installing a very generous base of clean stone and provide adequate drainage for it so that there would be no moisture buildup that would freeze in cold temperatures.
Without going too far into the weeds your correct. Pavers 15-20 years ago vs now....they have learned A LOT about proper base prep especially for driveways. Also, today's pavers don't fade like the older ones, especially if sealed properly. The technology has gotten a lot better than some of the comments here seem to suggest. It is still individual preference on cost vs durability and if you have a very long driveway that can become a huge issue. But as far as strict durability in all weather, properly installed pavers will outlast both concrete and asphalt for driveways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey