U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-14-2008, 07:27 AM
 
Location: NJ
11,504 posts, read 19,867,869 times
Reputation: 4315
Default Why is gas in South Jersey generally so much cheaper than North Jersey?

Or, should I say "Southwest Jersey". I'm not quite sure of the answer. Typically my inlaws are paying average about 10 cents less per gallon. Something about the gas being shipped in through there (ports near Philly)? I don't know.

Today near my house the cheapest was $2.75. Further south (Middlesex/Monmouth) I saw $2.63. Burlington County and south is usually cheaper than that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2008, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Atlantic Highlands NJ/Ponte Vedra FL/NYC
2,689 posts, read 32,112 times
Reputation: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Or, should I say "Southwest Jersey". I'm not quite sure of the answer. Typically my inlaws are paying average about 10 cents less per gallon. Something about the gas being shipped in through there (ports near Philly)? I don't know.

Today near my house the cheapest was $2.75. Further south (Middlesex/Monmouth) I saw $2.63. Burlington County and south is usually cheaper than that.

alot of it has to do with shipping costs, real estate costs and competition, you live further from the refinaries, real estate costs might be higher in your area and there is probably less competition where you live. Also there is a lot of collusion and price fixing in the retailing of fuel, you will find that there are "zones" where prices are generally the same, in my area the stations on Rt 35 are higher priced than the ones on RT 36, and south of red bank is more expensive than north of red bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 07:59 AM
 
992 posts, read 2,204,650 times
Reputation: 230
A lot of the gas is coming from Carney's point, so the further south you are the less the transport cost is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Burlington County NJ
1,946 posts, read 3,615,051 times
Reputation: 2600
I live in Burlington County and travel up to Cranbury for work - gas is around 2.73 - I think the Raceway in Bordentown is 2.71
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,428 posts, read 27,695,721 times
Reputation: 9519
But using that silly theory then where there are no petro plants in the mid country gas should cost $7/gal there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Atlantic Highlands NJ/Ponte Vedra FL/NYC
2,689 posts, read 32,112 times
Reputation: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
But using that silly theory then where there are no petro plants in the mid country gas should cost $7/gal there.
what makes you think that there are no petro plants in the middle of the country? the only silly theory is an ill informed one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 08:18 AM
 
721 posts, read 1,534,304 times
Reputation: 523
You have three major refinerys in SW Jersey. Sunoco in Verga (West Depford area), Valero in Paulsboro and Citco a little south of Paulsboro. Then you also have Major refinerys in Delaware a few minutes from NJ and also in Philly.

Here's another little something not everybody knows about the oil business. Just because your buying Exxon gas dosen't mean that gas was produced by exxon. It could be refined in Hess. Gasoline is sold by octane. It is inspected. So that 88 octane from company A is no different that 88 octane from company B. I have worked in Oil refinerys and have seen many different companys tanker trucks fill up Hess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Atlantic Highlands NJ/Ponte Vedra FL/NYC
2,689 posts, read 32,112 times
Reputation: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
You have three major refinerys in SW Jersey. Sunoco in Verga (West Depford area), Valero in Paulsboro and Citco a little south of Paulsboro. Then you also have Major refinerys in Delaware a few minutes from NJ and also in Philly.

Here's another little something not everybody knows about the oil business. Just because your buying Exxon gas dosen't mean that gas was produced by exxon. It could be refined in Hess. Gasoline is sold by octane. It is inspected. So that 88 octane from company A is no different that 88 octane from company B. I have worked in Oil refinerys and have seen many different companys tanker trucks fill up Hess.
all very true, the difference is in the additives added to the mix before delivery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Martinsville, NJ
604 posts, read 1,896,053 times
Reputation: 235
The main reason gas might be cheaper in South Jersey is because gas station rents are cheaper in South Jersey. The gas in Central NJ comes from Bayway refineries and they are just as close to central NJ gas stations as the South Jersey refineries are to South jersey stations.
Cheap rent equals cheaper gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 09:50 AM
 
Location: NJ
11,504 posts, read 19,867,869 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
alot of it has to do with shipping costs, real estate costs and competition, you live further from the refinaries, real estate costs might be higher in your area and there is probably less competition where you live. Also there is a lot of collusion and price fixing in the retailing of fuel, you will find that there are "zones" where prices are generally the same, in my area the stations on Rt 35 are higher priced than the ones on RT 36, and south of red bank is more expensive than north of red bank.
actually, while I said "near my house" in my OP - prices as a whole in Northern NJ are higher, just not my specific area. Union, Essex, Hudson,Bergen all have equal or higher prices than I do. I see a big drop once I get on 35S, *after* the Rt 9 turn off. I guess b/c the majority of traffic heads down Rt 9, they can charge more when they are merged (35/9)...interesting stuff.

thanks for the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top