U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:18 AM

7 posts, read 16,997 times

Advertisements

Would really appreciate guidance on this..

I will be working in downtown Newark for a few months and would like to rent in a nearby community that is safe and affordable (rent below 800...even for just a room).

I've heard that Bellville, Nutley, Bloomfield and West Orange are good areas fitting my needs. Any comments or other suggestions? Safety/Affordability top priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 10:45 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,120,034 times
Maybe you can get a bedroom in a room or an apt. off of a private home in the Nutley, Clifton area...

Old 02-14-2008, 10:49 AM

Yes...it seems that in my price range, rooms-for-rent in homes are the likely options. I'm actually surprised there is such a market for rooms-for-rent. At this point, I just would like to be sure I'm renting in a safe/affordable area. I will be working long and late hours.

Nutley has come up more than once...sounds good. I will do a search for rooms in Clifton. Thanks

Old 02-14-2008, 02:16 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,120,034 times
ETA And check out Craig's list to see if there are any roommate wanted postings

Try Montclair too, maybe some single people lost a roomate in a house rental...which is why you can sometimes get a bedroom to rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by newinnewark View Post
Yes...it seems that in my price range, rooms-for-rent in homes are the likely options. I'm actually surprised there is such a market for rooms-for-rent. At this point, I just would like to be sure I'm renting in a safe/affordable area. I will be working long and late hours.

Nutley has come up more than once...sounds good. I will do a search for rooms in Clifton. Thanks

Last edited by b75; 02-14-2008 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: ETA Craig's List suggestion.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:19 AM

970 posts, read 3,104,429 times
I would recommend the "Passaic Park" section of Passaic. It's the part of the city that borders the Athenia and Delawanna sections of Clifton. The area is pretty nice and safe, but stay away from the rest of Passaic!

Old 02-16-2008, 08:39 AM

541 posts, read 2,059,262 times
What about the Ironbound section of Newark? Full of portuguese and brazilians who really take care of their community. It would be a great culture experience for you. Also, it has the best food and nightlife in Newark, plus it would be close to work. If you could find a room to share there it would be great. Also, you would be close to the Harrison Path Train (just across the Passaic River on Jefferson or Jackson St. ?) which would give you cheap, 24hour access to the City.

For an urban area, I would say it is safe and it is by far, by far the safest area of Newark.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
ETA And check out Craig's list to see if there are any roommate wanted postings

Try Montclair too, maybe some single people lost a roomate in a house rental...which is why you can sometimes get a bedroom to rent
Thanks for this tip...I researched Montclair and really like what it "sounds" like:-) Parking seems to be an issue in some parts though. But at minimum, I'd definitely like to visit when I get a moment. Leaning towards West Orange....looking at a place tomorrow.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I would recommend the "Passaic Park" section of Passaic. It's the part of the city that borders the Athenia and Delawanna sections of Clifton. The area is pretty nice and safe, but stay away from the rest of Passaic!
Thanks for this tip....I had briefly checked out clifton. Rent there seems very affordable....lots of college kids..or students.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:11 PM

131 posts, read 416,008 times
Maplewood is lovely, cute little village, also South Orange, has large student population so plenty of rentals.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
What about the Ironbound section of Newark? Full of portuguese and brazilians who really take care of their community. It would be a great culture experience for you. Also, it has the best food and nightlife in Newark, plus it would be close to work. If you could find a room to share there it would be great. Also, you would be close to the Harrison Path Train (just across the Passaic River on Jefferson or Jackson St. ?) which would give you cheap, 24hour access to the City.

For an urban area, I would say it is safe and it is by far, by far the safest area of Newark.
Thank you .....of course it would be ideal if I could live as close to the office as possible. I just assumed by hearing how bad Newark is from folks...even those who once lived in the area....that it would not be an option for me. I am very interested to hear that there may be some parts that may be fine. I saw a photo of a cute place near south 8th & 13th ave?

I worked in Philly for a couple of years, and stayed right in Center City. Just like in most major cities, you'd hear that the city suffered from a high crime rate and it was not safe; but my neighborhood (Art Museum) was fine. I'm from the DC area...and you'd hear reports of high crime there, as well as B-more (where I worked for a while). And only if you lived or were very familiar with the areas, did you know that, while there were certainly "bad" neighborhoods", there were many decent ones and you could live safely in those areas. So I don't know if its the same sort of thing with Newark....if there are certain areas that are just fine. But truthfully, I've never heard such a uniform and strong aversion to a city...like I do with Newark. So it is refreshing to hear at least one opinion that suggests possible good streets in the area.

(To All: As of tomorrow, I will have limited internet access until I get settled in NJ; my apologies in advance if I don't get to reply to anyone else who may post in this topic. But I certainly will be checking all/any additional opinions at some point & continue to welcome them. And of course, feel free to carry on without me..(smile)!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or