Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 11:04 AM

789 posts, read 702,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
not quite. just shy of 788,000 per the census. but i thought everyone was fleeing?

i don't sense it where i live...except for a few new shops, not much has changed here.
People are fleeing, RELATIVELY speaking. There is normal population growth and immigration increases offset by net out migration which is defined as the movement of people between states. So the overall number may be increasing but not due to people moving into the area from other places. Does that make sense?

Heres a link to a good chart: State Migration Rates, Net Totals: 2010-2015

Between July 2014 and July 2015, all but nine states added population via migration. Illinois and New York lost the most residents, while Florida and Texas recorded the largest gains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 11:12 AM

10,481 posts, read 6,991,011 times
If or when this state ever gets a liberal Governor I'll be the first one out the door, so I won't be here to witness the final destruction

Old 05-09-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
If or when this state ever gets a liberal Governor I'll be the first one out the door, so I won't be here to witness the final destruction
No where else left to go in Tri-State area: NY is worse, CT governor is killing them too.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:26 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
People are fleeing, RELATIVELY speaking. There is normal population growth and immigration increases offset by net out migration which is defined as the movement of people between states. So the overall number may be increasing but not due to people moving into the area from other places. Does that make sense?

Between July 2014 and July 2015, all but nine states added population via migration. Illinois and New York lost the most residents, while Florida and Texas recorded the largest gains.
It does but why doesn't immigrant increases count as inflow? Unless you're talking about immigrants having children.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:27 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
That's a little over the top, don't you think? What will this "final destruction" look like?

Old 05-09-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
It does but why doesn't immigrant increases count as inflow? Unless you're talking about immigrants having children.
It does count in the overall pop numbers obviously, but in order to figure out state to state movement you have to control for that to get to relative changes in migration between states.

So for example, pick any really good NJ town with good schools and relatively easy NYC commute and believe it or not the population is not increasing very much at all especially compared to (i'm just gonna pick one out of a hat) the northern Dallas suburb of Flower Mound TX.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:04 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,642 times
Quote:

So for example, pick any really good NJ town with good schools and relatively easy NYC commute and believe it or not the population is not increasing very much at all especially compared to (i'm just gonna pick one out of a hat) the northern Dallas suburb of Flower Mound TX.

This is not really a good comparison since most NJ towns that fit your description are mostly built out.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
This is not really a good comparison since most NJ towns that fit your description are mostly built out.
True, but within the context of the OP and his assumption of some burgeoning population explosion, it was to make a point.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:55 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
That's a little over the top, don't you think? What will this "final destruction" look like?
...and now you know why he has been on my "ignore" list for quite a while...

Old 05-09-2016, 04:06 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,420,713 times
Quote:

good link. NJans are moving to FL, NC, GA, etc but our population still grows due to immigration and people looking for a suburban lifestyle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey