Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 08:05 AM

4 posts, read 3,414 times

Advertisements

hello everyone,

i'm 28 yrs old and i would like to be a cop in NJ. please let me know what are the steps to become that and what do i need to know or do before hand. My highest education is a bachelors degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 08:19 AM

19,031 posts, read 25,104,119 times
Here...let me Google that for you...

https://co.monmouth.nj.us/page.aspx?ID=2474

Old 05-19-2016, 08:32 AM

thank you!.
..do all recruits go down the shore for their 6 weeks of the academy?

Old 05-19-2016, 08:36 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,898,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinyakno21 View Post
thank you!.
Some Cities/town... and Counties have there own Police Academies. Some do some parts "In House" and parts of them are done @ other academies.

All depends on what department you want to work for.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:39 AM

i would like to work in the station office work/accounting department. does that mean i still would have to do the physical aspect of the training?..or is that a general for all departments?

Old 05-19-2016, 08:52 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,932,787 times
Quote:
hello everyone, i'm 28 yrs old and i would like to be a cop in NJ. please let me know what are the steps to become that and what do i need to know or do before hand. My highest education is a bachelors degree.
Quote:
thank you!.
Quote:
i would like to work in the station office work/accounting department. does that mean i still would have to do the physical aspect of the training?..or is that a general for all departments?
I'm not sure if you're actually serious. In fact I hope that you're not. Obtaining a law enforcement job in NJ is incredibly difficult-I know firsthand having a brother that is going through the process. He has a bachelor's degree AND served four years in the military and still has not been able to get hired. If you are serious about getting a job in law enforcement, you need to consult actual resources on the subject, not a random New Jersey message board. As other posters have already pointed out, there are a few different pathways into law enforcement, but none are easy. If you're not willing to do your homework on the requirements, etc...you have no hope of actually obtaining a law enforcement job.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:54 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,898,346 times
Quote:
That type of job is generally not a sworn officer, Its a civil service job, It may require a High Level back ground check, but you don't go to the academy for that.

Doing 911 requires special training as a 911 operator, but most work for police (or regional call centers) but are not officers.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:59 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,932,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
That type of job is generally not a sworn officer, Its a civil service job, It may require a High Level back ground check, but you don't go to the academy for that. Doing 911 requires special training as a 911 operator, but most work for police (or regional call centers) but are not officers.
Other than typists and other lower level clerical type positions, not many local police departments have very many civilian employees. Accounting and other ancillary functions are handled by the municipality. Not all are civil service jobs, but many are.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:02 AM

thank you flyonpa for your help.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:41 AM

19,031 posts, read 25,104,119 times
Quote:
thank you!.
The link that I posted was from Monmouth County, and it contains good--albeit general--advice that applies statewide, as well as information specific to that county. Many--perhaps most--counties have their own police academies, but some counties which don't have their own academies send their recruits to police academies in adjacent counties.

As to your desire to be a "desk jockey" at a police department, I think that you should be thinking about generalized clerical positions in a city hall, rather than becoming a cop in order to simply work at a desk.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey