Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 2,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
New Brunswick is pricier commute to NYC, whatever you saved renting down there you're spending more time and money getting to NYC. Don't forget it snows here, it doesn't snow in India so you don't know what it feels like to wait for train in cold weather.

You either live closer to Manhattan or be close to a train station. I know people who live further down just to save a few bucks but takes 2hrs+ to get into NYC if any delays occur. Enjoy playing angry birds.
So which area would be better for me in terms of commute time and commuting costs. Would Newport, jersey city be a shorter commute? Any other options in New Jersey.

I have lived in Chicago area for 10 years, so i am really familiar with snow. But i am used to a suburban lifestyle. This new york life style looks tiresome.

Would renting in NY is an option, can i keep my Car if i rent in NY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 09:43 AM

19,106 posts, read 25,295,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkugadu View Post
So which area would be better for me in terms of commute time and commuting costs. Would Newport, jersey city be a shorter commute?

Jersey City is directly across the Hudson River from Manhattan, and while the commute can still be tedious and more time-consuming than you would imagine it to be, it would definitely be quicker than commuting from New Brunswick.

Would renting in NY is an option, can i keep my Car if i rent in NY?
On a budget of $1,800-$2,100? Not in Manhattan, where just the parking fees for your car could amount to a few hundred $$ per month, and where apartment rentals are...very expensive.

However, in the outer boroughs of NYC, it should be do-able. There are decent parts of the borough of Queens where you can park without charge, plus the rents are considerably cheaper than in Manhattan, and yet you can get into Manhattan relatively quickly via the subway.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:59 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,845,893 times
Bottom line is this - just find someplace to rent for a year with an easy commute. Use that time to drive around New Jersey & familiarize yourself with various towns. Study the train & bus commuter routes. Get to know NJ Transit trains & bus routes to the City such as Coach.

If you have an 8 month old child than you don't have to worry about school districts for a few years.

Newport in Jersey City can be a good place to rent until you get near Kindergarten age.

You'll pay higher rent in Newport than in Edison, for example, but you won't be paying NJ Transit train fees (very high) & your commute will be much shorter.

You can get the PATH at Newport & get a subway or bus from PATH to your office.

When we lived in Newport (years ago) there was a large Indian population. Newport has playgrounds, a boardwalk on the river & is right next to Hoboken & easy to get in to the City. Newport tends to have a large population of very young children, but most people move to the suburbs before Kindergarten.

You will have to pay for a parking spot in Newport if you own a car. Finding street parking is near impossible.

Also, be aware that PSE&G bills are very high for Newport buildings. They tend to be very drafty & the heating systems are not efficient. They may claim to be "luxury" buildings, but they're just cheap boxes.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:01 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,845,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
On a budget of $1,800-$2,100? Not in Manhattan, where just the parking fees for your car could amount to a few hundred $$ per month, and where apartment rentals are...very expensive.

However, in the outer boroughs of NYC, it should be do-able. There are decent parts of the borough of Queens where you can park without charge, plus the rents are considerably cheaper than in Manhattan, and yet you can get into Manhattan relatively quickly via the subway.

Agree that Queens is also someplace you should consider. Just be sure that any place you live is walking distance to a subway.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:54 PM

88,489 posts, read 84,635,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haringson View Post
is it only indians obsessed by living in own community?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=23574854

if so why you don't stay in india?
^This is what is called in English a "jackass". Learn this word so you can properly address anyone who says things such as this poster said. "Jackass".

You are welcome in NJ. Not everyone is like that. Unfortunately, you may meet others who are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey