Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 07:57 PM

789 posts, read 698,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Curious: in what way is Millburn more diverse than Brooklyn?
Thoughts, ideas, viewpoints on a whole host of subjects including religion, politics, economics etc. You've fallen for the trap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 09:33 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,206,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
And you just proved my point. Diversity to you is MONOLITHIC thought from diverse ethnic backgrounds. Sorry but true diversity is diversity of opinions, viewpoints, ideas, and politics. How can you preach diversity and at the same time say you live in a place where Republicans keep quiet. Assuming they keep quiet bc of the LACK of diversity in thought.
Where (in the United States) is this Mecca where liberals and conservatives live side by side and have civilized discussions about politics and respectful exchange of ideas? Millburn? I'd really like to know.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Where (in the United States) is this Mecca where liberals and conservatives live side by side and have civilized discussions about politics and respectful exchange of ideas? Millburn? I'd really like to know.
Well you "paid a lot of money" to live in a place that is so diverse that anyone who dares have a different opinion must remain silent. You should get your money back. Sorry, that is NOT diversity.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:02 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,206,283 times
Funny, you sound a lot like another NJ city-data user. I can't remember his name, but he's a real-estate agent, and he gets all outraged making the same point about diversity. My guess is you are both Republicans who are being shunned by your neighbors because you have Trump lawn signs.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:54 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,570,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Thoughts, ideas, viewpoints on a whole host of subjects including religion, politics, economics etc. You've fallen for the trap.
It is ludicrous to say that Millburn, NJ is more diverse than Brooklyn.

Millburn is a small town that ranges from middle class to upper middle class to extremely wealthy people.

Brooklyn is a HUGE borough. There are NYCHA housing projects as well as mansions.
There are homeless people. (Are there any in Millburn? I didn't think so).
There are recent immigrants who arrive every day from places like Mexico, South Asia, Eastern Europe, the Caribbean.
There are people who speak no English, whose children are in ESL classes, and the parents are doubled up several families in one apartment, working minimum wage jobs.
There are also native-born Americans, some of them in high income jobs.
(Of COURSE there are political differences among Brooklynites. How could there NOT be with the kind of population diversity I am mentioning?)

How can you possibly compare Brooklyn and Millburn in the same sentence even?

Old 05-25-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Funny, you sound a lot like another NJ city-data user. I can't remember his name, but he's a real-estate agent, and he gets all outraged making the same point about diversity. My guess is you are both Republicans who are being shunned by your neighbors because you have Trump lawn signs.
Strange you feel compelled to bring up politics and make assumptions about lawn signs and being shunned, it speaks well of where your coming from. It is clear you have gone way out of your way to surround yourself with NON diverse thought yet try to make yourself feel better by believing bc someones skin color is different than yours suddenly your embracing diversity.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
It is ludicrous to say that Millburn, NJ is more diverse than Brooklyn.

Millburn is a small town that ranges from middle class to upper middle class to extremely wealthy people.

Brooklyn is a HUGE borough. There are NYCHA housing projects as well as mansions.
There are homeless people. (Are there any in Millburn? I didn't think so).
There are recent immigrants who arrive every day from places like Mexico, South Asia, Eastern Europe, the Caribbean.
There are people who speak no English, whose children are in ESL classes, and the parents are doubled up several families in one apartment, working minimum wage jobs.
There are also native-born Americans, some of them in high income jobs.
(Of COURSE there are political differences among Brooklynites. How could there NOT be with the kind of population diversity I am mentioning?)

How can you possibly compare Brooklyn and Millburn in the same sentence even?
My first post on this here I clearly stated ethnic diversity is one example of diversity, but not the only one as people have destroyed the definition of the word to mean only that. It no longer includes diversity of thought, ideas, viewpoints. It was an example to prove a point. Heres a link to show you just how diverse those political differences are in Brooklyn. 84% voted one way in 2012. Very diverse. lol. President Map - Election 2012 - NYTimes.com

Oh and Millburn? 55%/44%.

The larger point is that you can not hold up this holier than thou "i'm into diversity" when your surrounding self with non-diverse thought.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:44 AM

264 posts, read 603,356 times
How do you plan to map diversity of thought? By debating with potential neighbors?
This is a forum for town, demographics advice primarily. Ethnicity data is easily available.
Kthnry, mind sharing the name of your town?

Old 05-25-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazin09 View Post
How do you plan to map diversity of thought? By debating with potential neighbors?
This is a forum for town, demographics advice primarily. Ethnicity data is easily available.
Kthnry, mind sharing the name of your town?
No need to "map" diversity of thought. It was a high level comment on some peoples' definition of the word has narrowed down so far that the word has lost half its meaning. You have a person here who claims to have paid a lot of money to live in a place where everyone think's like her. lol. Seems the opposite of the desired effect.

From Webster:

Diversity
: the quality or state of having many different forms, types, ideas, etc.
: the state of having people who are different races or who have different cultures in a group or organization

Old 05-25-2016, 05:35 PM

3 posts, read 12,185 times
Hey guys, can we go back to the original questions please? But let's put aside the diversity factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey