Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 09:12 AM

4 posts, read 8,944 times

Advertisements

We are moving to NJ and My husband will be working in East Windsor, trying to find safe areas with lower taxes and good schools any suggestions? Someone had told me Browns Mills but what i have been reading is mixed so I am not sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 09:45 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinatom74 View Post
We are moving to NJ and My husband will be working in East Windsor, trying to find safe areas with lower taxes and good schools any suggestions? Someone had told me Browns Mills but what i have been reading is mixed so I am not sure
Lots of options (I wouldn't consider Browns Mills one of them) depending on your budget, etc... Take a look at the sticky and answer those questions so we can give better suggestions.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:46 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Taxes are pretty high in East Windsor compared to some of the nearby communities in Mercer Co.
http://www.state.nj.us/counties/merc...ebreakdown.pdf

There are better school districts in Mercer Co. than East Windsor, not that the schools are awful but for lower tax rates (but higher property prices) and better schools you might look at nearby Robbinsville, West Windsor.

You might also consider nearby Cranbury (Middlesex Co) or South Brunswick, both have great schools.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Taxes are pretty high in East Windsor compared to some of the nearby communities in Mercer Co.
http://www.state.nj.us/counties/merc...ebreakdown.pdf

There are better school districts in Mercer Co. than East Windsor, not that the schools are awful but for lower tax rates (but higher property prices) and better schools you might look at nearby Robbinsville, West Windsor.

You might also consider nearby Cranbury (Middlesex Co) or South Brunswick, both have great schools.
OP says her husband is working in East Windsor and apparently was willing to commute from at least as far as Browns Mills (60 minutes during rush hour), so there are a lot more options than that.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:02 PM

can I ask why not browns mills?

Old 05-24-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
can I ask why not browns mills?
Browns Mills is part of Pemberton Township which isn't really known for great schools-Pemberton High School is ranked a "2." I don't put a whole lot of stock in Greatschools ratings and don't recommend living and dying by them, but generally the only places you see schools ranked that low in NJ are the inner cities. Plus its on the south side of Fort Dix. I'm not sure what driving through the base is like post 9/11 or if you can even do that anymore which means you have to go around it. Depending on your budget you could do much better (in terms of schools and otherwise) in Mansfield, Springfield, North Hanover, Chesterfield, Plumstead, or Upper Freehold Township, all on the north and west sides of the base.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:33 PM

Thank you so much for the advice, i will check into those areas, we would ideally like under 350,000 for a 4 bed not sure if it is possible! I have had enough of the big city (in houston now) would love land and piece and quiet lol. Schools are very important with 4 kids 2 in elem 1 in middle 1 in high school

Old 05-24-2016, 01:44 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
... Take a look at the sticky and answer those questions so we can give better suggestions.
^^ this

Old 05-24-2016, 01:48 PM

sorry new to this not sure what you mean by sticky?

Old 05-24-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much for the advice, i will check into those areas, we would ideally like under 350,000 for a 4 bed not sure if it is possible! I have had enough of the big city (in houston now) would love land and piece and quiet lol. Schools are very important with 4 kids 2 in elem 1 in middle 1 in high school
Land and peace and quiet can be easily had in all the towns I mentioned. I grew up near that area but moved north to Hunterdon County (land and peace and quiet but with mountains ) about 10 years ago. I'm not sure what 350,000 can get you these days in those areas but its worth a look. Keep in mind that "a lot of land" in NJ means 5 acres or more, which is probably different than Texas. That said, in the rural townships of NJ 3 acres or more will usually allow you to have a horse or two, or other livestock. You need at least 6 acres to qualify for farm assessment which lowers your taxes a bit, allows you (and all family members living on the farm) to hunt the property without having to pay for a hunting license, and protects you/your livestock under the "Right to Farm Act."

Quote:
sorry new to this not sure what you mean by sticky?
It's this post at the top of the page:

Questions For Future and Potential Residents

It's referred to as a "sticky" because it's stuck there and won't get bumped down by newer posts. It contains a series of questions which, when answered, give potential responding posters more information about what you're looking for so they can help give suggestions on where to settle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey