Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 11:37 AM

4 posts, read 4,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Took Seastreak for 7 years, it does not go to Jersey City, it goes to Pier 11, Wall Street and 31st Street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_407 View Post
I wouldn't go with Monmouth if I were you. The beach is an unbelievable amenity to have there, and the towns you mentioned aren't bad, but still. You're coming from the West Village and it sounds like your looking for a similar experience. Good public transit, walkability, diversity, train to NYC? Come on. Southern Bergen County has all of that. Monmouth does not in comparison. Plus, if you did choose Monmouth the beach may be close, but the SHORE (the resort beach towns that make up the area most desireable to visit) is still a decent drive away. Just my two pennies.

Thank you - but we are thinking more upper Bergen (Ridgewood or Glen Rock) - any thoughts on those areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 02:23 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njorbust View Post
Thank you. I think the ferry works for WFC and driving will work for DTJC.

Lots of people on here from Monmouth County. Nothing for Bergen? For Bergen I think the option is driving to DTJC and train to Hoboken, then ferry to WFC. Somehow the ferry from Monmouth seems more pleasant...
I spent most of my life in Bergen County, moved to Monmouth County six years ago. Commuted to the city also. Commute is worse from down here, but there's an ocean.

I vote for the ocean.

Yes, traffic is bad here in Monmouth in summer, but it's worse in Bergen ALL the time. I go up to visit my mother in Midland Park, and I swear it's gotten worse up there since I moved here 6 years ago.

Also, Ridgewood has a drug problem too. Always has, even back in the 70s when i was in high school. Any town with money does.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:51 PM

789 posts, read 702,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I spent most of my life in Bergen County, moved to Monmouth County six years ago. Commuted to the city also. Commute is worse from down here, but there's an ocean.

I vote for the ocean.

Yes, traffic is bad here in Monmouth in summer, but it's worse in Bergen ALL the time. I go up to visit my mother in Midland Park, and I swear it's gotten worse up there since I moved here 6 years ago.

Also, Ridgewood has a drug problem too. Always has, even back in the 70s when i was in high school. Any town with money does.
Seems a bit over the top unless there was hard data supporting Ridgewood HS vs other schools. No one denies there is a very important problem at many HS, but to just categorically throw that out there about Ridgewood seems a bit careless. Is the drug problem so bad that kids are dropping out? Not getting into good colleges? Bc the data doesnt support that. There has been and always will be diligence needed by parents to stay involved in any high school setting.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:37 PM

60 posts, read 104,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Took Seastreak for 7 years, it does not go to Jersey City, it goes to Pier 11, Wall Street and 31st Street.

The Jersey City (Paulus Hook)/Hoboken service on Seastreak out of Atlantic Highlands is pretty new, I think. Smaller boats, but way, way better trip to JC than by train!

Old 05-26-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Seems a bit over the top unless there was hard data supporting Ridgewood HS vs other schools. No one denies there is a very important problem at many HS, but to just categorically throw that out there about Ridgewood seems a bit careless. Is the drug problem so bad that kids are dropping out? Not getting into good colleges? Bc the data doesnt support that. There has been and always will be diligence needed by parents to stay involved in any high school setting.
I cannot remember the source, but it was long before there was an Internet. There was an article published showing that Ridgewood was one of the top schools in the state for getting into good colleges, but that they were also one of the top schools for drug usage. As in most wealthy towns vs. less-affluent areas, the difference shows up in the choice of drug. So it might be street heroin and crack for the kids in Neptune, but prescription opiates and molly for the kids in Ridgewood.

The point I was making was a warning not to assume your kid will avoid drugs by being in a town where people have more money.

And yes, these articles are several years old, but do you think things must have drastically improved since then?

RHS Principal: Students' Drinking, Drug Use 'Out of Control'

Substance abuse a problem in Ridgewood - News - NorthJersey.com

"Young people can get heroin for as low as $10, he said; pills in contrast can cost around $30. The only difference between drug availability in Ridgewood versus less affluent communities, McDowell said, is "here the kids don't necessarily need to steal to afford them in the beginning."

Old 05-26-2016, 11:13 PM

73 posts, read 150,203 times
My vote is for Rumson if you can afford it. It is the elite town of Monmouth County in my opinion. I always said if I ever won the lottery and wanted to stay in NJ, I would be buying one of those mansions in Rumson.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:24 AM

522 posts, read 991,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njorbust View Post
landed on 2 very different locations: Rumson (or) Fair Haven and Ridgewood (or) Glen Rock.

Where will you be working ? World Financial Center and Downtown Jersey City

commute no more than 75 minutes, family oriented, urban vibe

Considering the above three points you mentioned, this should be a no-brainer. Also how do you plan to go to downtown Jersey City. Would only PATH suffice ? Or you would prefer light-rail ?

Old 05-27-2016, 07:35 AM

789 posts, read 702,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I cannot remember the source, but it was long before there was an Internet. There was an article published showing that Ridgewood was one of the top schools in the state for getting into good colleges, but that they were also one of the top schools for drug usage. As in most wealthy towns vs. less-affluent areas, the difference shows up in the choice of drug. So it might be street heroin and crack for the kids in Neptune, but prescription opiates and molly for the kids in Ridgewood.

The point I was making was a warning not to assume your kid will avoid drugs by being in a town where people have more money.

And yes, these articles are several years old, but do you think things must have drastically improved since then?

RHS Principal: Students' Drinking, Drug Use 'Out of Control'

Substance abuse a problem in Ridgewood - News - NorthJersey.com

"Young people can get heroin for as low as $10, he said; pills in contrast can cost around $30. The only difference between drug availability in Ridgewood versus less affluent communities, McDowell said, is "here the kids don't necessarily need to steal to afford them in the beginning."
This article ISN'T several years old and is relevant to this discussion since Rumson HS is the one featured:

Rumson Among School Districts With Most Violence, Vandalism...

Let me know if you see Ridgewood HS on that list bc I don't.

My point is not that Ridgewood doesnt have *gasp* teenagers that experiment and go off the rails. That is what all parents fear and should try to guard against. My point IS that your classification of that one HS is a little out of bounds relative to what is going on pretty much everywhere and specific to this thread seems to be more of an issue in Rumson and Red Bank. I still think the best way to judge a school is ultimately on graduation rates, standardized scoring, AP courses, etc. I do agree kids with access to money and with little parental guidance will go off course.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
This article ISN'T several years old and is relevant to this discussion since Rumson HS is the one featured:

Rumson Among School Districts With Most Violence, Vandalism...

Let me know if you see Ridgewood HS on that list bc I don't.

My point is not that Ridgewood doesnt have *gasp* teenagers that experiment and go off the rails. That is what all parents fear and should try to guard against. My point IS that your classification of that one HS is a little out of bounds relative to what is going on pretty much everywhere and specific to this thread seems to be more of an issue in Rumson and Red Bank. I still think the best way to judge a school is ultimately on graduation rates, standardized scoring, AP courses, etc. I do agree kids with access to money and with little parental guidance will go off course.
All I said was "Ridgewood has a drug problem, too", based on what I know personally. I had no idea what the schools are like down here.

But if it forced you to go into a wild-eyed, frenzied search for information and stats just to prove how much bigger and smarter you are, and that info is useful to the OP, then it's all good.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:58 PM

973 posts, read 1,410,962 times
All of these places are going to be different than the West Village. The Bergen towns may present less of an adjustment, and be more NYCish. Ridgewood has a very cool downtown, but its more clean cut and overtly upscale than what you are used to. Also, some of this, imo, has to do with where you and your spouse grew up. If you guys are lifelong NYC area people than you will like the Bergen towns more. The Monmouth towns will feel more country and it will be less obvious that you are in the NY Metro area - which makes sense based on geography, and also you will start to be in the gravitation pull of Philly as opposed to just NYC. The Bergen towns will also feel more dense and have an older suburban look and feel. More likely to get a house with some age and charm to it. Lot sizes will generally be smaller, but you will have a chance to walk to a downtown, which can be very desirable in Ridgewood.

Another factor is how future proof your commute is. If there is a reasonable chance you may change jobs or locations and wind up more more north in Manhattan, than Bergen is a better choice. Your commute will get bad quickly if you are in Monmouth and start working in Manhattan outside of the Financial District. The Bergen towns will provide more NYC area commuting flexibility.

Your skiing point is interesting to me because I ski. The difference between the two areas will be felt only if you are a frequent day tripper, which usually means the Catskill Mountains and maybe some of the lower VT mountains. If you do this a lot you will lose out in Monmouth because the added round trip travel time will be too much to bear most likely. Buy if you ski only via weekend trips, than the added driving time will not be that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey