Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 12:11 AM

10,461 posts, read 6,974,789 times

Advertisements

Anything below 80mph in NJ is slow in the left lane. Law enforcement will usually tail and move a driver (now they will write tickets) over if they are going to slow or the speed limit in the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 08:14 AM

789 posts, read 702,696 times
There are certain people who get in the left lane, drive what they think is "fast enough" and become self proclaimed regulators of left lane speed. It is mind boggling. You actually see people get upset in the left lane when people try to pass them, as if they have been put on the earth to regulate left lane speed.

My philosophy is if i'm going 90mph in the left lane and you come up behind me wanting to do 110mph, then by all means go for it. I've driven up to Montreal many times and an amazing thing happens half way up there: people actually adhere to the unwritten rules of left lane passing and it is such a breath of fresh air.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:43 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
You actually see people get upset in the left lane when people try to pass them, as if they have been put on the earth to regulate left lane speed.
I think that one of the reasons why these self-proclaimed speed regulators get upset when they are passed on the right is that they under the mistaken impression that it is not legal to pass on the right.

For those of you who might be in that confused group, let me assure you that it is legal to pass on the right on multi-lane roadways--as long as the passing is done in a travel lane. Obviously, it is not legal to pass on the shoulder of the road.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I think that one of the reasons why these self-proclaimed speed regulators get upset when they are passed on the right is that they under the mistaken impression that it is not legal to pass on the right.

For those of you who might be in that confused group, let me assure you that it is legal to pass on the right on multi-lane roadways--as long as the passing is done in a travel lane. Obviously, it is not legal to pass on the shoulder of the road.
Agree with that, but I was actually speaking of when you come up behind the "self regulator" in the left lane. They are stubborn, don't want to move over and if/when they finally do or if you do move right to pass them they get all bent out of shape. It is comical to witness.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:12 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
A left lane hog is not difficult to get around, it's the middle lane that needs room to allow traffic to get around.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:51 AM

414 posts, read 296,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I will grant you that other states don't rely on jughandles to the extent that NJ does, but how does that difference explain people who stop in a traffic lane that is devoid of a left turn arrow painted on the pavement, and where there are signs (both in English, saying NO TURNS, and a universal pictogram with a red slash through a left arrow) telling anyone with eyes and a brain that no turns are allowed?

"Left turn lanes" are always clearly marked, and are separate from travel lanes. The lanes to which I refer are travel lanes, not turning lanes.

Even if there weren't any signs clearly prohibiting turns, how clueless would somebody have to be to try to make a left turn on a highway where the Jersey Barrier in the center of the roadway obscures the view of the opposing lanes until an oncoming vehicle is...very close?

Are you trying to excuse people who...
choose to ignore the posted signs...
exercise extremely poor judgment...
display a shocking lack of driving skill?

I have to agree. It is obviously a danger to simply come to a stop in the left lane of a divided highway. Since many drivers have the tendency to push into a lane if 15 feet of space is open, I wonder how many rear-end accidents have been caused by this behavior.

Out of state drivers should know enough to be able to read the signs at every intersection saying "All turns from Right Lane", coupled with the universal symbol for no left turn posted at the light on the left side. You can forgive them for trying to move over to the right until they get the drift, but simply stopping is either ignorant or they just don't give a damn.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:52 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,634,568 times
Judging by what is being said by most of you in this thread, you can put me in the offender group.

I drive about 80 MPH and consider that fast enough for the left lane. 80 MPH, I find, is too fast for the center lane. I'm not going to be going back and forth between the left lane and center lane just because someone wants to drive 100 mph. So they can high beam me all they want, I'm staying on that left lane at a steady 80 mph. They can feel free to pass me, I promise I won't be offended despite the dirty looks.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Judging by what is being said by most of you in this thread, you can put me in the offender group.

I drive about 80 MPH and consider that fast enough for the left lane. 80 MPH, I find, is too fast for the center lane. I'm not going to be going back and forth between the left lane and center lane just because someone wants to drive 100 mph. So they can high beam me all they want, I'm staying on that left lane at a steady 80 mph. They can feel free to pass me, I promise I won't be offended despite the dirty looks.
Why do you consider yourself the regulator of the speed of the left lane? Just move aside, let em pass and slide back in the left lane if need be.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:59 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,634,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Why do you consider yourself the regulator of the speed of the left lane? Just move aside, let em pass and slide back in the left lane if need be.

I could counter with your exact argument...

Why do you consider yourself regulator of the speed of the left lane? Just switch to the center lane and pass me by as you make your way to an early death.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:03 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I could counter with your exact argument...

Why do you consider yourself regulator of the speed of the left lane? Just switch to the center lane and pass me by as you make your way to an early death.
If you won't move for someone going faster than you in the left lane, then it's YOU who is being the regulator for left lane speeds. The person trying to go faster than you wanting you to move is simply trying to go faster than you. The one who obstinately won't move out of the way as they are supposed to is the one who is trying to regulate the left lane speed. Of course it's not going to work because the person will just angrily pass you but the right thing to do is move over.

It's technically not correct for someone to have to pass you on the right just to get back to the left to go faster than you. Legal yes, but not the rules of the road. The person going slower it supposed to move over for faster traffic.

I have no issues moving over when I'm in the left and see someone getting closer and closer to me. Do I think they're being a tool for wanting to go 95? Sure but it's not MY job to not let them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey