Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 02:42 AM

11 posts, read 13,093 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband is being relocated from JP Morgan in London to Jersey City, NJ. We are a family with 3 very young kids - 5 year old, 2 year old and 5 week old! If possible we would like to live within easy reach of my husband's work and a good elementary school. We have a budget of 4k, 4.5k at a push. Is this realistic and where would you recommend we live? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 03:35 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymgnome35 View Post
Hello, my husband is being relocated from JP Morgan in London to Jersey City, NJ. We are a family with 3 very young kids - 5 year old, 2 year old and 5 week old! If possible we would like to live within easy reach of my husband's work and a good elementary school. We have a budget of 4k, 4.5k at a push. Is this realistic and where would you recommend we live? Thanks!

Their office building in Newport on Washington B'lvd.? Good new is that it's very close to the Newport PATH station & Hudson Bergen Light Rail.

Bad news is that with a 5 year old living close to work is not an option due to the school district.

Try looking for something on a NJ Transit line that goes into Hoboken. That way he'll have the option of taking either PATH or Light Rail from Hoboken station to Newport (both very short walk to that office building.)

New Jersey Transit - Home

Maps & Schedule - PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

New Jersey Transit

You could also choose a town on a NJ Transit line going into Newark, but that would mean switching at Newark for the PATH (no Hudson Bergen Light Rail option.) Also, Hoboken is a smaller & easier to navigate station.

BTW, it's a long holiday weekend here in the U.S., so you'll likely get more responses on Tuesday.

OK, back in to the pool now. <g>

Old 05-30-2016, 07:59 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Ridgewood NJ. Beautiful town, nice neighbors, lovely downtown area with lots of shops, restaurants, fantastic school system, one of best in NJ. Transportation is simple. NJ transit train to Hoboken, and then light rail to Jersey city. Total 40 minutes.

You really don't want to send your children to school anywhere near Jersey City, North Bergen County has much better options. Yes, you can easily afford a home or apt to rent for $4000-$4500/month in Ridgewood.

Our Favorite Downtowns: Ridgewood

rentals:
http://www.trulia.com/for_rent/Ridgewood,NJ/

You and/or your husband will need to own a car in the suburbs.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:56 AM

862 posts, read 974,693 times
it would depend on what you are looking for, north jersey has many good neighborhood's, has urban area's like jersey city Hoboken, and has more suburban towns outside of that.

if it's just a 1 year move or short term it might just be easier to rent from 1 of the many "luxury rentals" place's scattered across north jersey, you want urban? like London? try Hoboken, it's next to jersey city and way safer, something a bit more suburban maybe try towns along the Bergen county line or main/Bergen line on nj transit train.

it really depends on if you want city life or more residential.

have your husband talk to other people that went to jersey city before him and ask where they stayed.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:06 AM

11 posts, read 13,093 times
Thank you everyone. I will check out Ridgewood, I have also been looking at Summit. We were hoping to live somewhere more Urban but I think we would need a much bigger budget and our eldest to go to private school (which we can't afford) Its a 2 year minimum contract.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:56 AM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Summit and the surrounding towns are all great choices and the schools are good too.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:32 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Yes, Summit is nice. And, the train will take him right in to Hoboken where he can get PATH or Light Rail to Jersey City.

Summit is on the Morris & Essex line of NJ Transit.

Tell your husband that the area around his office can be extremely windy on some days (right near the Hudson River.) Tell him to hold on to his hat while he's walking from the station to his office. <g>

Old 06-05-2016, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,064 times
welcome to USA,
Most of us send our kids to Public schools, and in most cases the better the schools are the more expensive the towns are to live in.
Jersey City has a modern area but it is not a good town, to much crime and poverty most schools are bad except for one Dr Ronald E McNair Academy [url]https://k12.niche.com/dr-ronald-e-mcnair-academic-high-school-jersey-city-nj/[/url]
Good towns with good schools are
Livingston and Millburn in Essex County
In Bergen County the best public schools are in Tenafly, Closter, Demarest, Ridgewood and Cresskill.
Schools are really good but is high in taxes specially Tenafly, Cresskill is the least expensive in Taxes, which it will probably make it easier to have a cheaper rental.
[url=http://www.homes.com/rentals/cresskill-nj/]Homes for Rent in Cresskill, NJ | Homes.com[/url]
good luck

Old 06-06-2016, 07:31 AM

565 posts, read 722,044 times
The towns other posters have mentioned are nice--Summit, Ridgewood, Montclair, Maplewood, and many of the towns around each of those towns are quite nice. However, don't discount Hoboken and Jersey City. If it's a 2 year contract and your son is just 5, you would love Hoboken. Your price range may be a sticking point, but there are a couple of buildings in Hoboken (towards the back) where you could get a 3 bedroom for 4-4.5k.

I live in Hoboken with my two kids and we love it. Hoboken is mostly young families, and there are a lot of Brit expats. You don't need a car at all, and can walk to many parks, restaurants, and other things to do and generally speaking, it's a great town for people with young kids.

Wallace elementary in Hoboken is great through grade 5. It's changed dramatically in the last few years, so people that don't live in Hoboken still associate it with the old days of being a not so great school. I'm a public school teacher in a much more expensive area of Northern NJ and I'm confident enough in Hoboken public schools that I am happily sending my 3 year old to the public program this school year. I have friends with Ivy league educations whose kids are in Hoboken public schools and they are thrilled with the program. There are charter schools as well, but they are lottery system enrollments, so harder to get into. And of course, there are privates. They aren't ALL terribly expensive. Hoboken Catholic is very reasonable and I hear good things, if you want to go that route.

Also, once your 2 year old is 3, they can enter the public (free) pre-K system, and everyone in the town highly rates the pre-k program.

We lived for a year in Jersey City and loved it, too...although at this point, if my kiddo were in public school I would only look at the neighborhoods zoned to the Cornelia Bradford elementary school.

PM me if you want any additional details. We love Hoboken and if you want to experience NYC easily--it's just a short Ferry/Path/Bus ride away. I can hop on a ferry at 5 pm and make it to meet my husband in Midtown for after work drinks at 5:20 pm--I often take the kiddos and we ferry over and meet for an early dinner at Gotham West Market.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:04 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
The towns other posters have mentioned are nice--Summit, Ridgewood, Montclair, Maplewood, and many of the towns around each of those towns are quite nice. However, don't discount Hoboken and Jersey City. If it's a 2 year contract and your son is just 5, you would love Hoboken. Your price range may be a sticking point, but there are a couple of buildings in Hoboken (towards the back) where you could get a 3 bedroom for 4-4.5k.

I live in Hoboken with my two kids and we love it. Hoboken is mostly young families, and there are a lot of Brit expats. You don't need a car at all, and can walk to many parks, restaurants, and other things to do and generally speaking, it's a great town for people with young kids.
+1

that's the route i'd take for 2 years. if staying longer, can explore more of NJ to get a feeling of what works longer term. path train to downtown manhattan directly to the freedom tower in 10 minutes, it stops on christopher street after, greenwich village, and then near union square 14st and then 33st street. and the ferry option to midtown is a big plus. the light rail to jersey city your husband will be at work in 10 minutes. having the path facilitates leisure time in NYC. the fact is, if you move out to summit or ridgewood, you won't go out to the city nearly as much, it becomes a chore.

west side of hoboken, there are beautiful piers and parks, bike path, and an awesome view of the city. architecture everywhere is mostly pre war and brownstone and new construction towards the west end, you'll have no problem finding a real nice apt.

good luck with your search.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 06-06-2016 at 09:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey