Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 08:07 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times

Advertisements

I'm a cyclist and have to discourage the OP from considering this commute.

In NJ, there are almost no bicycle facilities. Bicycles are not considered in highway design here. About half of all drivers sincerely believe bicycles are not supposed to ride on streets, but should use sidewalks instead. And half of them use this belief as justification to lay on their horns or yell as they pass you, try to pin you against parked cars, play "chicken" against you, throw things at you, etc.

Also, as another poster mentioned, it gets dark early in winter and drivers will not expect to see you. Also, when there's snow on the ground, shoulders and even right lanes can have piles of plowed snow, leaving no safe place to ride (even if one exists otherwise).

Cycling in Jersey is not safe. And that's a shame.

Try looking for housing in Highland Park. Good schools and a very short, safer bike ride or even a nice walk to J&J.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 07:45 AM

377 posts, read 474,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Are you actually suggesting that the OP ride his bike on the Parkway and the Turnpike?
Are you serious about that dangerous--and illegal--suggestion?

No, obviously not. The preceeding sentence...

Quote:
The one other thing I'd say is driving from Westfield/Scotch Plains to NB is not fun.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:57 AM

255 posts, read 455,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I'm a cyclist and have to discourage the OP from considering this commute.

In NJ, there are almost no bicycle facilities. Bicycles are not considered in highway design here. About half of all drivers sincerely believe bicycles are not supposed to ride on streets, but should use sidewalks instead. And half of them use this belief as justification to lay on their horns or yell as they pass you, try to pin you against parked cars, play "chicken" against you, throw things at you, etc.

Also, as another poster mentioned, it gets dark early in winter and drivers will not expect to see you. Also, when there's snow on the ground, shoulders and even right lanes can have piles of plowed snow, leaving no safe place to ride (even if one exists otherwise).

Cycling in Jersey is not safe. And that's a shame.

Try looking for housing in Highland Park. Good schools and a very short, safer bike ride or even a nice walk to J&J.
Exactly. It seems as if you're coming from out-of-state with no ties to a particular area, it makes the most sense to live close to work.

While Highland Park might not be as ritzy as Westfield, the OP's will have a lot more time for safe bicycle riding with a nice, short commute across the Raritan every day.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:16 AM

39 posts, read 60,950 times
This is not SoCal. I discouraged my husband from taking his bike on 17 for about a mile to the park and ride because the drivers in NJ are aggressive and distracted. A commute that long is a terrible idea and would be asking for trouble especially during commute times when the sun is at an angle making it difficult to see in the best of conditions.

ETA: A guy that works with my husband was just hit by a car over the weekend while cycling and he's in ICU. Take it with a grain of salt if you want, but riding a bike in NJ on actual roads is almost unheard of.

Last edited by aquafriday121; 06-06-2016 at 08:39 AM..

Old 06-06-2016, 09:19 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,014 times
My experience with NJ drivers are mostly negative. They are very aggressive and confrontational. I would not recommend biking more than a couple of miles.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:50 AM

10,464 posts, read 6,982,705 times
Two reasons I wouldn't recommend this.

1. NJ probably only has 50 days a year that has good bike riding weather.

2. You will probably be an accident within your first week.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:59 AM

35 posts, read 91,212 times
Thanks all for the helpful replies. I made a decision after 9/11 to ride to work and have done so in DC metro traffic, Washington state, and San Diego county. My longest commute has been 50 mile round trip. I had to use my mtn bike occasionally in DC due to snow and of course drive a few days after big storm. Well, sad to learn the infrastructure doesn't support riding to work. I have another job prospect in Norfolk area so will see what I can learn about that area ( have bikes in Portsmouth and the tunnels and bridges were scary)
Jim

Old 06-23-2016, 11:01 AM

35 posts, read 91,212 times
Also thank you for the highland park suggestion. My wife had selected the other area for schools but I will ask her to look at highland park too

Old 06-23-2016, 05:46 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
Thanks all for the helpful replies. I made a decision after 9/11 to ride to work and have done so in DC metro traffic, Washington state, and San Diego county. My longest commute has been 50 mile round trip. I had to use my mtn bike occasionally in DC due to snow and of course drive a few days after big storm. Well, sad to learn the infrastructure doesn't support riding to work. I have another job prospect in Norfolk area so will see what I can learn about that area ( have bikes in Portsmouth and the tunnels and bridges were scary)
Jim

I just have to ask what connection there is between 9/11 and your decision to bike to work?

Old 06-24-2016, 11:48 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
Jim
I think big cities like NYC or DC or "newer suburbs" like Irvine or parts of Bucks County PA are better for cycling. Cities tend to have more bicycle lanes, drivers are more vigilant, and there are more cyclists on the streets, so you're expected. In "newer suburbs" built since the 1980s or 90s, you often see bicycle lanes or trails, or wider streets where it feels safer to ride. NJ has the combination of narrow, high-speed thoroughfares and type-A drivers who will try to mow you down just because you're "in the way." It's a nasty combination.

If you were looking to live/work in places like Hoboken or Jersey City, I'd say cycling would be great for commuting. But in the 'burbs, it's a bad idea. Highland Park would be good because the route to J&J would be pretty safe. You could probably also find a route from East Brunswick through Cook College and downtown New Brunswick. EB has good schools, from what I've heard.

I lived in the Norfolk area for years, and lived in both Norfolk and Portsmouth. That's also a pretty poor area for cycling, but just like NJ, you can find a good route if you pick the right origin and destination points. You cannot bike through the tunnels, but if you want an alternative to the Downtown or Midtown tunnels, you could take the passenger ferry from downtown Norfolk to/from Olde Towne Portsmouth to get across the Elizabeth River. Elizabeth River Ferry - Hampton Roads Transit -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey