Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 568 times

Advertisements

HI JC Paralegal,
I found a place for my friend online which was posted as a 1br and the pics look really nice with a backyard for $1300. When we checked the place out it had low ceiling of less than 7" did not have a stove/oven (hot plate) and had a long hallway where kitchen counter was on the left side leading to the back yard and the only room looked like half a room. It is a small studio with a separate kitchen. My friend walked out due to low ceiling and no stove/oven but I spoke with the landlord and bargained to $1000/month. Next day she confirmed and said it would be for only 1 person and wanted my friend to move in within 3 days (May 8th) but my friend had a place until May 31st. She forced him into starting from the 11th on and got the security deposit of $1000 and rent the next day for the remaining time of $645. This is when my friend had asked for curtains for the room and a mirror above the sink in the bathroom.
The next day I was trying to check the pic out and found a post from her for the apartment for $650/month for two people and to move in on June 1st. I panicked that my friend was getting scammed but my friend did not mention this to the landlord bc he dont speak up (his mistake). So he moves in on May 31st and the next day his food had gone bad in the fridge bc the refrigerator was not working. He is still waiting for a fridge a week later. There was still no curtain or the mirror 3 weeks after he asked (and he did not even move into the apartment). She gave him a tiny hand held mirror to put over the sink. She gave him a temporary small fridge which is outside the apartment bc there is no room for it inside (thats how small the apartment is). Finally 5 days later he gets a txt that she left curtains outside the apartment on the fridge. They r shear curtains that are too long for the window and no rods to hang them.

What can my friend do now?

1) she made him sign early when he didnt need to move in and charging $1000. and after the deposit and the 3 wks rent there was a post for the apartment for $650 to move in from June 1st for 2 people
2) empty paid apartment for 3 weeks and still no refrigerator
3) hand held small mirror on top of the sink in the bathroom (can barely see the entire face)
4) sheer long curtains without rods to hang them
5) ceiling less then 7"

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 02:51 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,845,909 times
This isn't Jersey City Paralegal, but City-Data, a forum about New Jersey as a whole. You'll want to see an actual lawyer, not a pack of internet strangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: