Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 03:50 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,292,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
What about Ridgewood? Was it always wealthy?
Not all parts-there used to be middle class sections. My husband grew up in Ridgewood-his parents bought their house around 1968 when my husband was born. It was a brand new house and his father was a vet so he got a VA mortgage. They were not wealthy at all-they were middle class. His dad worked in the post office during the day and also worked a job fixing cars at night. They lived in a normal house. Granted- he was middle class and there were a lot of rich families and yes there were mansions even back then. However I do know that today his family would not be able to live there even if his dad worked 3 or 4 jobs. His parents sold the house in the late 80's when his dad retired. The house sold again recently for some ridiculous amount and it is a basic house nothing fancy about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 04:02 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,001,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
My dad used to live in an old tenement in Hoboken that was infested with cockroaches and rats on 5th and Clinton.
This brings up an interesting question. Have these areas (the ones that used to be lower class, like Jersey City, Hoboken, and parts of NYC) eradicated their vermon problems? I can't imagine a home that sells for a million dollars or more having mice and cockroaches. If they do, the buyers are nuts!

Old 02-18-2008, 06:37 PM

646 posts, read 2,661,651 times
Why the question,seems like a strange one.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:47 PM

5,816 posts, read 12,579,320 times
Quote:
This brings up an interesting question. Have these areas (the ones that used to be lower class, like Jersey City, Hoboken, and parts of NYC) eradicated their vermon problems? I can't imagine a home that sells for a million dollars or more having mice and cockroaches. If they do, the buyers are nuts!
I don't know I can't afford to get in them. LOL. People did extensive renovations to these buildings thats one of the reasons the cost is high. I would think they evicted these tenants(cockroaches and rats) along with the lower class and middle class when they bought the building. Silly question gets a silly answer. Many highrises in urban areas, rich or poor, have these problems.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:16 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,001,951 times
Quote:
After rereading my own question, I realized how it could be be misunderstood. I NEVER tried to say the buildings had vermin because of the type of people that lived there before. I'm sorry if I offended anybody. And to top it off, I spelled vermin incorrectly in the post too!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:58 AM

370 posts, read 1,366,374 times
One of the places I think we are missing is Weehawken and Edgewater. With all those pricey waterfront properties that were built and the amazing shopping centers and restaurants that were added, these 2 towns have really changed.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:16 AM

9,338 posts, read 20,684,891 times
Just about any town in suburban Morris County. Florham Park, Hanover, Montville are just a few that come to mind immediately, where you had an abundance of modest Cape Cods from the 60s that are now out of the reach of middle income earning families.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:17 AM

559 posts, read 1,352,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Just about any town in suburban Morris County. Florham Park, Hanover, Montville are just a few that come to mind immediately, where you had an abundance of modest Cape Cods from the 60s that are now out of the reach of middle income earning families.

Montville sure did change didn't it? From the arm pit of Morris COunty to one of the most desirable areas. I personally liked it better farms and dirt roads better then Mansions and condos everywhere.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:54 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,918,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl08 View Post
One of the places I think we are missing is Weehawken and Edgewater. With all those pricey waterfront properties that were built and the amazing shopping centers and restaurants that were added, these 2 towns have really changed.
You are not kidding! When I was growing up no one would admit to living in Edgewater, it was known as an "artistic" and cooky community. A lot of very strange people lived there.

Actually, there are a lot of areas of Bergen County that fit the original question. You only have to look at the properties available in some of the areas to know. They are tiny little capes and the like, wealthy folks of any generation were not looking for them. But now one of those tiny little capes could run you $500,000 and up... and that's really not middle class anymore.

Ironically, I was thinking that in 1992 I was talking to a friend about River Edge and he turned his nose up in the air as if I was talking about a slum. (RE was never a slum...but that was his perception.) In 2008, River Edge may not be considered "wealthy" but it's def upper middle class.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:08 AM

217 posts, read 1,143,970 times
River Edge.. my mom used to live there when she grew up and the houses were all little and it was very spread out... now it has huge mansions and is really beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey