Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 02:27 PM

37 posts, read 168,633 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever lived in this area? How is the area and how are the schools? My hubby and I are seeing a lot of houses in this area for sale. We live in CT now and will be moving to NJ. I do not know any areas to live in. We are looking for a nice family / school type area for us and our kids. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 02:35 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,658,762 times
Which area(s) of Plainfield are you looking at?

Old 02-16-2008, 02:45 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,458,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockandkey View Post
Has anyone ever lived in this area? How is the area and how are the schools? My hubby and I are seeing a lot of houses in this area for sale. We live in CT now and will be moving to NJ. I do not know any areas to live in. We are looking for a nice family / school type area for us and our kids. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Plainfield like any other town or city has some nice areas and some not so nice , If you know an exact location we can be more helpfull ,You can also check out Rahway (my town) Clark, Linden,Avenel,Colonia,Woodbridge it will all depend on your budget

Goodluck with your search and consider this an Early welcome to New Jersey

Old 02-16-2008, 02:58 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Plainfield has some beautiful older homes, but they're in areas that aren't that great, and the schools are terrible. Plainfield is one of the "Abbott Districts" in NJ, which means that the town doesn't have enough money to provide adequate school facilities for it's students- the state had to step in and build new schools (and unfortunately pissed away $8 billion trying to do so, and only got a small fraction of the schools built). Definitely wouldn't be a good choice if you've got kids.

Why were you attracted to Plainfield? Is there something in particular you're looking for as far as convenience to a job location, a certain home type, etc?

Old 02-16-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
Which area(s) of Plainfield are you looking at?
We do not know which area in Plainfield, we do not know NJ well at all, so any area you recommend we would take a look at. Know what I mean?

Old 02-16-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Plainfield has some beautiful older homes, but they're in areas that aren't that great, and the schools are terrible. Plainfield is one of the "Abbott Districts" in NJ, which means that the town doesn't have enough money to provide adequate school facilities for it's students- the state had to step in and build new schools (and unfortunately pissed away $8 billion trying to do so, and only got a small fraction of the schools built). Definitely wouldn't be a good choice if you've got kids.

Why were you attracted to Plainfield? Is there something in particular you're looking for as far as convenience to a job location, a certain home type, etc?
Aha.. I see. well to be honest, we were looking on sites like realtor.com and we were putting in a budget of 300,000 and found some pretty cool houses that are in our price range and what we were looking foe, BUT... we have also seen that sometimes nice houses can be in a not so nice area. So that was why I figure I would ask about. Like up here, there is a town called Bridgeport, CT . Everyone in CT knows you do not go looking for places in that area, because it is the ghetto part of CT to put it bluntly..
So anyway, as we were looking we saw a bunch of places that certainly look nice on the pics, but since we have not explored areas, we do not know. Thanks for the tips.. So Plainfield you think is a no go for us with the kids? I appreciate all honesty.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

We saw a lot of homes we were looking for, online.. fireplaces and hardwood floors.... 4 bedrooms... etc..

Old 02-16-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
f you know an exact location we can be more helpfull ,You can also check out Rahway (my town) Clark, Linden,Avenel,Colonia,Woodbridge it will all depend on your budget

Goodluck with your search and consider this an Early welcome to New Jersey
Thanks tons. I will take a look at those areas. We plan to go driving around to check out the area as well before we settle on a specific area we want to buy a house in. Please recommend any areas you think are great within one hour train ride from Hoboken, NJ. That is where my hubby got relocated and we have to move there, and are looking for homes an hour away in a suburb type area.... ???

Old 02-16-2008, 04:04 PM

We saw houses online in North Plainfield... does anyone know that area?

Old 02-16-2008, 04:08 PM

Other areas we are looking at are Mount Olive, Dover, North Plainfield, Howell, Hackettstown and Middletown.. Know any of those? Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey