Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:18 AM

397 posts, read 1,071,647 times

Advertisements

I moved to Mount Pleasant, SC from Jersey City and Monmouth Beach about 4 years ago and love it!!! There are SO MANY of us here, the taxes are incredibly low, you get HUGE HOUSE for the money and the weather is great! Let me know if there is any information I can get for anyone you know of that may be thinking of moving here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 09:29 AM

51 posts, read 200,483 times
I would move back to Albuquerque, NM. My wife and I lived out there for several years and loved it. I wanted to move back to the east coast and we ended up in NJ b/c her parents are here. Once we made the move back east, I realized that we should have stayed in NM.
Now our cost of living is through the roof and although we like our neighborhood and kids school, I can't figure out why it's so expensive here!

My wife said she would move to if the kids weren't settled in school, so she wins and this is where we stay! If I had it my way, I would be back to the beautiful Southwest!

My second choice would be Austin, TX.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:30 AM

330 posts, read 1,196,973 times
I did leave NJ and settled in the suburbs of Charleston, SC and that took a lot of guts for me as it was. But if I REALLY had the guts to go somewhere.. I'd move to France.

It's amazing to me how different their lifestyle is there, especially in regard to social services. Although I'm aware of how heavily they are taxed and how it's more difficult to find work, I'd love to try and see if I could acclimate and successfully live there.

The thought of all of that is very scary though. It was scary enough just to move 600 miles down I-95!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:32 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crna06 View Post
I would move back to Albuquerque, NM. My wife and I lived out there for several years and loved it. I wanted to move back to the east coast and we ended up in NJ b/c her parents are here. Once we made the move back east, I realized that we should have stayed in NM.
Now our cost of living is through the roof and although we like our neighborhood and kids school, I can't figure out why it's so expensive here!

My wife said she would move to if the kids weren't settled in school, so she wins and this is where we stay! If I had it my way, I would be back to the beautiful Southwest!

My second choice would be Austin, TX.
Crna06,

What zip in ABQ did you live in? Were you over Northeast Heights, by Tramway? Beautiful area.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:35 PM

961 posts, read 2,503,564 times
...Was just looking at a few other state forums....thought I might add an observation. We've had a small but steady influx of NYC, LI, NJ, folks to what is called the Southern Tier of upstate NY. A recurring reason for many seems to be that they can "get away"....but still be within a 3-4 hour drive from those friens/family they've left.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:02 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,068 times
I'd move to St. Maarten.
No, really, I'd move to Denmark. Nicest people, beautiful countryside.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:35 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I've read this thread with a great deal of interest, and the recurring theme here seems to be what I pointed out on another thread, namely, when it comes to New Jersey residents, leaving families seems to be a huge factor in why people hang on longer and stay. . .
That's probably true, but for me it's the opposite. The closest family (well, immediate family/family that I routinely talk to) is about 1200 miles away from New Jersey . . . in South Florida, which is where I was raised . . . and my wife's family is all in South Africa and India.

That my family is in South Florida is one thing that caused me to consider moving back to Florida (there were a few others), but the positives just can't outweigh the heat/humidity factor (I strongly dislike both; I'm not at all a "summer person", so in that aspect, I'd be (and was) miserable most of the time), and the flatness (which would kill my major hobby--hiking/backpacking). I wish I were situated where I could have a house in Florida to go to for a few months, maybe, then live elsewhere the rest of the year, but at the moment, that's just not going to be possible.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:38 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
I'd move to St. Maarten.
No, really, I'd move to Denmark. Nicest people, beautiful countryside.
St. Maarten is nice, I'd consider spending more time there (especially if I could do so with a cooler climate). I was there a day per week for about a year--I worked on a cruise ship. . . . although I preferred Puerto Rico; that's one place I'd pretty seriously consider living for awhile, even with the heat/humidity.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:22 AM

253 posts, read 996,960 times
We'll be moving to northeast PA in a couple of years, if not earlier. Why? Cost of living is driving us out, husband is retired law enforcement and PA doesn't tax his pension. Plus, family is from there and elderly parents have moved back there from NJ. I can live wherever we want as I'm a remote employee. So... the reason to go is to improve cost of living and be by family. Can't go until youngest has some college behind her.

If family or medical was not a factor, I'd consider the southern tip of Delaware around Rehobeth, but I'm hearing that medical services there aren't the best. If money or family wasn't a factor, I'd stay in NJ and move to Cape May County, but to get the amount of land we want (a few acres) at the price we want isn't even possible anymore.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:53 PM

109 posts, read 477,665 times
Gosh I'm so torn! I'd love to have a condo in a few different cities.
I have family here and in Texas. I love my roots and community here, but, love the affordability of Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey