Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 12:41 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,151 times

Advertisements

I got an email from the Office of the Governor today advocating this with a link to "Join the Movement". I don't mind the governor proposing this. What I object to is the FAT TUB OF LARD'S OFFICE SENDING ME AN UNSOLICITED EMAIL FOR POLITICAL PURPOSES. THE WAS NO LINK ON THE EMAIL FOR ME TO "UNSUBSCRIBE" THIS IS BS. ALTHOUGH IT'S WHAT I WOULD EXPECT FROM THIS LYING TURD!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 01:42 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Fair is fair. Due process is due process. All students in the state should receive the same funding. It is unfair and unjust and discriminatory to provide one student with more money than another. The proposal sounds very good as a start.

Again, selecting one citizen over another for preferential treatment, yields an inequality that is wrong and immoral. It is also blatant discrimination. We don't like discrimination, correct? Correct, unless the "right" people are discriminated against.

The teachers union is beotching of course because ultimately this would lead to less and smaller feathers for their overstuffed beds. The public teet around which they have their pouting lips must never be allowed to shrink.
I do not understand how it impacts the overall NJEA membership

Old 06-23-2016, 03:13 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I do not understand how it impacts the overall NJEA membership
Can't help you there but when the union bosses weigh in as being hostile to the idea it must have some effect.

Any thoughts about the proposal being discussed?

Last edited by doc1; 06-23-2016 at 03:48 PM..

Old 06-23-2016, 03:18 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I went to public school in one of the now Abbott Districts before it was an Abbott District. Graduated high school there. Grammar school had about 30 kids in a class and we were fine. One teacher to a class and no problems. One principal and a vice principal. The teacher had complete control of the class. What has happened from the 60's and 70's until now?
My K-12 years, small town in Missouri, were from '59 - '71.

One thing I and many of my friends can relate to is if you disrupted class and caused problems and your parents were notified, you got an ass kicking at home.

None of this "outraged parent" bulls**t of going to the school in defense of their precious snowflake.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:38 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
In addition to equal funding, how bout we look for another school funding source such as income tax. We've got to lower property tax or this state will go bust.
The income tax is used for state funding of the schools. The lion's share of state funding goes to the Abbott districts, where it may as well be put in an incinerator and burned for all the good it does. That leaves the non-Abbott districts to provide for themselves, and the only practical mechanism available is property tax. If you want more schooling funded from the income tax, you need to get rid of Abbott, because Abbott prevents state money from going to schools which aren't money pits.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:45 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,151 times
Wasn't all of this school funding part of a "thorough and efficient education" ruling by the state Supreme Ct many years ago, back when they started the income tax yrs ago?

Old 06-23-2016, 08:25 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Can't help you there but when the union bosses weigh in as being hostile to the idea it must have some effect.

Any thoughts about the proposal being discussed?
Three possibilities:

1) Union bosses closing ranks with political allies (abbot town democrats)

2) LOT of corruption with the money being pushed into frequent, over-costed construction projects with, ahem, connected companies. To a lesser degree but also existing overpaid but not really needed administrative position patronage. Nonzero possibility some leaders are connect to or in on that.

3) Believe that all of the money going into non-abbot districts will go to tax cuts and much of the money going out of abbot districts will go to teacher cuts. Both are possibilities, neither is certain, I don't think it would play out as a net harm to NJ teachers but I understand how a reasonable person might disagree.

Anyway, as much as I think we should end the insanity of subsidizing construction corruption, patronage administrative positions, and lower tax rates in the abbot districts at everyone else's expense, let's be real state democrats are going to kill this thing it's dead on arrival.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:38 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
Quote:
Wendell Steinhauer, president of the New Jersey Education Association, called Christie's proposal "despicable."
Of course because who will be paying their high salaries if all the taxpayers don't cover it? Privatize education.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:28 AM

522 posts, read 992,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Jersey City has not reevaluated local property taxes in 28 years. The city lost a court case over the matter and has to revamp property taxes by 2017.

Even if it is reevaluated it won't make much difference. Thing is they get huge state aid for education being an Abbott district.

How can any state administrator be blind to such things? The entire stretch along the river front have well off residents living in apartment with a very high value compared to state house price average but still pay much lower property tax compared to similar priced houses elsewhere.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:29 AM

522 posts, read 992,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
That leaves the non-Abbott districts to provide for themselves, and the only practical mechanism available is property tax.

Not only provide for themselves but also provide for other towns via their state income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey