Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 01:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
Maybe your trip is OK, I do find that hard to believe, (although when were the roads resurfaced, a year or two ago??). So as they "fix some pot holes" don't complain that your present car "didn't last as long as the previous one", because it needs suspension repairs and wears out tires.
ive been doing this commute for 12 years now and it has always been fine. the only issue has been pot holes in brooklyn after snowstorms but never an issue in nj. but i see on my town facebook page that whenever people see some roadwork happening they all start whining "what about my road over here." complaining about nothing.

i dont care about any of the logic. nj has one of the highest or the highest tax burden in the nation. government money is all fungible, they can take money from one place and move it elsewhere. even when they say they cant, they can because there are always sources that they could divert from one place to another. to see someone support tax increases in nj is lunacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 04:09 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ive been doing this commute for 12 years now and it has always been fine. the only issue has been pot holes in brooklyn after snowstorms but never an issue in nj. but i see on my town facebook page that whenever people see some roadwork happening they all start whining "what about my road over here." complaining about nothing.

i dont care about any of the logic. nj has one of the highest or the highest tax burden in the nation. government money is all fungible, they can take money from one place and move it elsewhere. even when they say they cant, they can because there are always sources that they could divert from one place to another. to see someone support tax increases in nj is lunacy.
What do you tell the electric company when they want an increase? Oh, you can't do that, your rates are the highest in the country? Or the cable company?? Or your internet provider???
Or do you tell you employer, "Oh don't give me a raise I'm doing the same job I've done for 12yrs and I don't really accomplish anymore than I did 12yrs ago?

No I don't really like a tax increase, or my cable increase or any others, but I do know that the infrastructure in this country is falling apart, roads, bridges, electric lines, etc. What they do paving roads today is different than they did 50yrs ago and is supposed to have longer longevity. Concrete deteriorates, sidewalks crumble. All bridges ride on bearings, they wear out.Traffic seems to increase and they have to ad lanes to the highway, how is that paid for??? If the governors of NJ had not played games with finances we wouldn't be in a crisis situation. If you keep buying gas and tires etc for your car on a credit card and just make the minimum payments on your bill you will reach your credit limit, what are you going to do, pay mastercard with Visa??? That's basically what NJ has done, and now the Visa bill is at its' credit limit, and they can't pay with Mastercard anymore. So I guess what CC wants to do is hide his head in the sand.

It took 25yrs since Gov Kean left office to bankrupt the system. Made those pension bandits look good because they could reduce taxes (whitman) but now it's time to pay the bill.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:01 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,693 times
The problem is NJ has a spending problem, not a revenue problem. Many people don't care, so neither do I. You get the leadership you deserve.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:17 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
What do you tell the electric company when they want an increase? Oh, you can't do that, your rates are the highest in the country? Or the cable company?? Or your internet provider???
Or do you tell you employer, "Oh don't give me a raise I'm doing the same job I've done for 12yrs and I don't really accomplish anymore than I did 12yrs ago?
all these things are different and i handle them differently. but you are perceiving the government that manages roads as a different government that manages other aspects of government, they arent. its all the same. as you can see, raising taxes is a legislative action and so as the taxpayers we have a right to say no. so i say no to this tax and i am saying no to adding to the highest tax burden in the nation.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
all these things are different and i handle them differently. but you are perceiving the government that manages roads as a different government that manages other aspects of government, they arent. its all the same. as you can see, raising taxes is a legislative action and so as the taxpayers we have a right to say no. so i say no to this tax and i am saying no to adding to the highest tax burden in the nation.
As far as the "highest tax burden in the nation", it depends on who's ranking. Bloomberg ranks NJ as #6 on a scale of 1-10 with #1 being the highest (CA).

WalletHub on a scale of 1-10 ranks NJ as #10 with IL as #1 (the worst), with NY and CT ranking worse than NJ.

"all these things are different", yes electric is different, water is different, but in a sense roads and bridges are part of the "infrastructure", yes you have a "right to say no". When the cable or electric company says the want a rate increase you can contact the Board of Public Utilities and express you views. Good luck with that. Just don't complain in 5yrs when the roads are falling apart. Or since you commute to Brooklyn everyday, they raise your tolls on the Turnpike between 14A and C, (usually the State Transportation Fund partially contributes to improvements).

Old 06-26-2016, 05:58 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,625 times
The fact that people support these tax hikes is exactly why I'm heading back to FL after 20 years in this state. The money is not going to fix anything. It will go to salary increases, paid vacations and paid days off. Five or 10 years from now, the roads will still be in a state of disrepair and they will shove another tax increase through. Fools will support it again. No thanks, don't count me in.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:23 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
As far as the "highest tax burden in the nation", it depends on who's ranking. Bloomberg ranks NJ as #6 on a scale of 1-10 with #1 being the highest (CA).

WalletHub on a scale of 1-10 ranks NJ as #10 with IL as #1 (the worst), with NY and CT ranking worse than NJ.
I don't know how the hell other states can beat us in property taxes, at least, when we look like this.

Property taxes: How does your county compare? - CNNMoney.com

Our tax burden is damn high. Even if some states may beat us in some studies, Captain is still right and it's just semantics at that point.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 06-26-2016 at 07:54 PM..

Old 06-26-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't know how the hell other states can beat us in property taxes, at least, when we look like this.

Property taxes: How does your county compare? - CNNMoney.com

Our tax burden is damn high. Even if some states may beat us in some studies, Captain is still right and it's just semantics at that point.
I'm not disagreeing our tax burden isn't high. Most of the roads are in pretty decent now, but if the fund runs out of money , things will go downhill fast. Traffic circles were fine, people didn't get killed at them just fender benders. They were 1930's technology, cloverleafs are 60's technology, now they build flyovers.
I guess our roads can stay out dated, hopefully property prices will go up and I can selll my condo and be out of here.

Before the party of climate deniers and the party of taking bribes and saying no to common sense totally destroys us.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:15 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times
Does NJ have flyovers? I didn't think they would work here because they'd ice up so quickly.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Does NJ have flyovers? I didn't think they would work here because they'd ice up so quickly.
Sure they do, just think of the Pulaski Skyway as one big flyover. The Rt 4 and 17 intersection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey