Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 08:03 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times

Advertisements

23 cents raise immediately. Don't see much opposition. How about asking for a nickel or a dime, no go for the jugular right out of the gate.

The 23-cent N.J. gas tax hike plan: 9 facts you need to know | NJ.com

www.nj.com/.../the_23-cent_gas_tax_plan_9_facts_you_need_to_know.html
  1. Cached

NJ.com

22 hours ago - 3. The 14.5 cent gas tax is now 49th in the U.S., with only Alaska being lower. If the 12.5 percent increase is enacted, New Jersey would have the seventh-highest gas tax. But because the tax depends on the price of gasoline, the Garden State could move up or down on that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 09:00 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
23 cents raise immediately. Don't see much opposition. How about asking for a nickel or a dime, no go for the jugular right out of the gate.

The 23-cent N.J. gas tax hike plan: 9 facts you need to know | NJ.com

www.nj.com/.../the_23-cent_gas_tax_plan_9_facts_you_need_to_know.html
  1. Cached

NJ.com

22 hours ago - 3. The 14.5 cent gas tax is now 49th in the U.S., with only Alaska being lower. If the 12.5 percent increase is enacted, New Jersey would have the seventh-highest gas tax. But because the tax depends on the price of gasoline, the Garden State could move up or down on that list.
This is NJ. There is rarely opposition to tax increases. And yet, we are virtually financially insolvent.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
This is NJ. There is rarely opposition to tax increases. And yet, we are virtually financially insolvent.
So true. As the lack of any interest in the thread.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:11 AM

4,028 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
So true. As the lack of any interest in the thread.

I did the math. This amounts to a little over $10 a month for me. While I'd rather pay less than more any day, I think it's understandable why people aren't up in arms about it.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:11 AM

10,475 posts, read 6,991,011 times
Christie to veto?

Old 06-23-2016, 11:17 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I did the math. This amounts to a little over $10 a month for me. While I'd rather pay less than more any day, I think it's understandable why people aren't up in arms about it.
I think that's it. In the grand scheme of things, how much will this hurt.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:39 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Infuriating that we see ads on tv and radio from some union thugs pretending to be concerned for our crumbling infrastructure that must have happened overnight.

Bridges get inspected every year and concrete, unlike sugar, tends to hold its form and structure unless originally built with substandard material, shodding design and construction.

Any pols asking for a gas tax increase have no problem passing the red face test that ortherwise would send a taxpayer into the ICU.

Do not elect any pol proposing a gas tax.

The NJ constitution has no provision for a dedicated tax so we are hearing nothing but misleading information and outright lies. Re-elect those politicians and subvert the rest of the taxpayers, driving them into the poorhouse.

In addition, the estimated cost for any infrastructure project is grossly underestimated, galactically underestimated! And the result of incompetent predictions is a raise, a bonus and solid career security. More importantly raised taxes to pay for the incompetence.

The gas tax supression is the last vestige of taxpayer control in NJ. The gas tax gets passed, wave the white flag and never bother to vote in NJ again.

Then again if you had no problem voting for obama, who promised skyrocketing energy prices under his energy plan, you probably are from Nj, a loyal democrat and have more money than conciousness.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:36 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Infuriating that we see ads on tv and radio from some union thugs pretending to be concerned for our crumbling infrastructure that must have happened overnight.

Bridges get inspected every year and concrete, unlike sugar, tends to hold its form and structure unless originally built with substandard material, shodding design and construction.

Any pols asking for a gas tax increase have no problem passing the red face test that ortherwise would send a taxpayer into the ICU.

Do not elect any pol proposing a gas tax.

The NJ constitution has no provision for a dedicated tax so we are hearing nothing but misleading information and outright lies. Re-elect those politicians and subvert the rest of the taxpayers, driving them into the poorhouse.

In addition, the estimated cost for any infrastructure project is grossly underestimated, galactically underestimated! And the result of incompetent predictions is a raise, a bonus and solid career security. More importantly raised taxes to pay for the incompetence.

The gas tax supression is the last vestige of taxpayer control in NJ. The gas tax gets passed, wave the white flag and never bother to vote in NJ again.

Then again if you had no problem voting for obama, who promised skyrocketing energy prices under his energy plan, you probably are from Nj, a loyal democrat and have more money than conciousness.

NJ has the 49th LOWEST gas tax in the country. The infrastructure IS falling apart! Yes bridges are SUPPOSED to be inspected annually. When they are inspected recommendations are made for repairs and they don't get done because there is NO money. Concrete is a very durable material, then in the winter when you salt the roads the salt penetrates the concrete and corrodes the steel used to reinforce it.

Bridges are painted, then the paint chips and get weathered again exposing it to erosion. A house has to be painted more than once every hundred years. Go take a walk under some highway bridges and see the corrosion wear. Have you ever sat on even an overpass in stopped traffic and felt it move? Remember the I95 bridge that collapsed a few years ago in CT?
Or the one in Wisconsin?

The Transportation Fund was supposed to be supported under a plan Gov Kean proposed, but since then the magic dance with the number has been done, money shifted elsewhere (like the underfunded pension fund) and now the bills have to be paid. At least with the gas tax, if the money gets DEDICATED to the Transportation Trust Fund so future governors can't rob from Peter to pay Paul the infrastructure hopefully won't collapse.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:36 PM

I wonder if Christie is going to sign it. The Dems tossed him some red meat tax cuts that he can tout as cutting taxes the same time they get raised. Only in merica!!!

Old 06-23-2016, 03:08 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
I'd support a more modest increase if I knew that ALL of the loot would ONLY go to roads and bridge repair and construction AND we would see a tax reduction (income/property) AND changes in the wealth redistribution schemes currently in place.

I'm skeptical that certain areas would be favored over others for political reasons ("Abbott" Roads and Bridges?).

I can see gas tax money being siphoned off to subsidize bike lanes, bus companies, walking paths and greenways or just disappearing like in the School Construction boondoggle.

Anyone remember that BS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey