Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 08:09 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Chesterfield is very nice area with character that will probably be preserved over time due to the zoning and open space program the township has adopted. Lumberton and Hainesport send kids to RV, Southamption is the Lenape district. SH is a good choice except for the fact that it is much farther away from the main roads. It will add time on the commute and for that reason resale might be an issue.

As indicated, many families in the RV district send their kids to Holy Cross HS in Delran which is a great school atheltically and academically. You shouldn't discount the desirability of the towns I posted about before, this is really the center of smart growth in the Delaware Valley where you have access to everything including high end shopping.
Absolutely - they are all nice areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 04:16 PM

18 posts, read 42,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
Have a look at Cape May County. Cape May itself can be pricey, but other small neighboring towns are reasonable, and you're just a 15-20 min. drive from Wildwood beaches.
prices for houses/apartments either sales or rentals have gone down recently.. the one major problem i cant stand while living here in cape may county is that it's a ghost town after summer. stores either closed down til the spring, close daily early, some only open a few days a week!!! this is more of a tourist town imo.. thats why im trying to get outta here, boredom during the winter makes me go crazy..

Old 02-23-2008, 03:41 PM

59 posts, read 167,506 times
Default Cherry Hill, COllingswood

Cherry Hill and COlllingswood are probably good towns for you. Schools are more competitive in Cherry Hill- both offer diversity - prob more in Cherry Hill. There is a river running thru Collingswood. Lots of people walking, biking in the park. I put my kayak into the river when I need a break. There is also sailing and rowing on the river. You can prob buy a 3BR house in CHerry Hill for low 200s. May also be able to find you something in COllingswood in your range. Are you willing to do updates?

Old 02-23-2008, 07:58 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I live in Marlton and I don't live in a Mansion, Mc or other, and don't have have my acrylic fingernails filled in every two weeks and I cut my own weedy lawn. I moved to NJ ten years ago and have lived in three different places in the same area, rent, rent, own. My child was in the Evesham Township school district in elementary and middle school. He currently attends high school in the Lenape school district. They're very good, not perfect, but very good. I can't tell you a thing about any other school district; I've heard many stories about other schools, districts and opinion varies.

This area has experienced a building orgy beyond my wildest nightmare in the last few years. If I had known I would have bought elsewhere.

Barnegat still looks good to me. It was a backwater nowhere for a long time , but they're in the midst of a building frenzy. Always look around the edges for a deal, Waretown, Brookville, Staffordville.

Lumberton is nice. They flood every couple of years, so be careful of that. I love Vincentown though it's small and you might not be able to find anything. Check Tabernacle. It has a small town center with a few businesses but a lot of open land around it.

Stay away from anything within five minutes of Fort Dix like Browns Mills or Wrightstown.

I heard a vote here for Tom's River, and while north or south of there might be fine, I wouldn't move there. They had an unexplained brain cancer cluster a while back - not my kid.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:22 PM

20 posts, read 134,431 times
what kind of town is Blackwood?

Old 03-01-2008, 11:36 PM

250 posts, read 1,112,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Stay away from anything within five minutes of Fort Dix like Browns Mills or Wrightstown.

I'm just curious about the reasons behind this?

Old 03-01-2008, 11:46 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltz4aidan View Post
prices for houses/apartments either sales or rentals have gone down recently.. the one major problem i cant stand while living here in cape may county is that it's a ghost town after summer. stores either closed down til the spring, close daily early, some only open a few days a week!!! this is more of a tourist town imo.. thats why im trying to get outta here, boredom during the winter makes me go crazy..
Good points, but there are some surrounding areas that are residential rather than tourist spots. The stores and businesses where I am (in Cape May County) are for the most part open and, well, I just moved here so I don't know if the word "thriving" would suffice, but one would hope.

Just my personal opinion, I LOVE the Jersey shore area off-season, it's very peaceful and serene to me. Of course, I've previously lived in mostly metropolitan areas (Philadelphia and New York), and I was kind of over it.

So...hope my input helped...again, I just moved to this area, but I do love it so far. Any questions DM me.

Good luck!!

xoxo hollygolightly

Old 03-02-2008, 03:12 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post
I'm just curious about the reasons behind this?
Who knows. They've probably never lived here either

Old 03-03-2008, 09:14 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,333 times
I'm not the one who said it...but ....

They call Browns Mills "the place where the sun don't shine" - If I were looking there.....I wouldn't send my kids to the schools there
as far as Wrightstown goes....just drive through....you'll see - they also go to the same schools as Browns Mills.

There are parts of North Hanover that use a Wrightstown mailing address though so you'd have to be careful of that. Closer to 537

Old 03-03-2008, 11:09 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
I'm not the one who said it...but ....

They call Browns Mills "the place where the sun don't shine" - If I were looking there.....I wouldn't send my kids to the schools there
as far as Wrightstown goes....just drive through....you'll see - they also go to the same schools as Browns Mills.

There are parts of North Hanover that use a Wrightstown mailing address though so you'd have to be careful of that. Closer to 537
The sun shines bright over here, I have almost 200 roses to prove that

I have two kids, both went through the schools in Pemberton Township. For those that don't know, Browns Mills is made up of different developements, Browns Mills, Country Lake & Presidential Lakes. They all have different schools up until 6th grade. My son went to school up to 6th in the PL section while my daughter went to the CL section, both schools were decent.

When a kid gets to be high school age, they can either go to Pemberton Township High or the Vo-Tech. My son went to PTHS while my daughter started the year in BCIT (tech) but did not like it so she was switched to PTHS a month ago. I will say that so far they have been working with me to make sure her classes meet her IEP. The people in the child study office have been more then accomodating to me, unlike the tech school who could give 2 cr@ps about her IEP.

For people starting out CL & PL are decent towns that are affordable. I know many kids on the honors programs, the kids get out of school what they put into it.

People that don't live here or never lived here can talk all that they want; I'm sure if I knew what town you come from I can talk about that too. I don't care what town anyone lives in, you will have good sections and bad.

FWIW, I grew up in North Jersey, Roselle & Watchung. I've also lived in North Plainfield & Edison. The schools down here have done just as good of a job with my son as the towns (excluding Watchung as he did not go there) listed above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey