Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 05:42 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,932 times

Advertisements

They are basically loan sharks!

In New Jersey Student Loan Program, Even Death May Not Bring a Reprieve - The New York Times

Quote:

Quote:
New Jersey’s loans, which currently total $1.9 billion, are unlike those of any other government lending program for students in the country. They come with extraordinarily stringent rules that can easily lead to financial ruin. Repayments cannot be adjusted based on income, and borrowers who are unemployed or facing other financial hardships are given few breaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 09:32 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
So the New Jersey Student Loan program insists on being paid back? Good. If they did allow discharge of co-signers on death of the student, the NYT would be running articles on how horrible NJHESAA was driving students to suicide.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:35 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
New Jersey and the IRS, friends until the end. Maybe that's why it can be difficult to buy a handgun there. They want you to be alive and pay.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:06 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
So the New Jersey Student Loan program insists on being paid back? Good. If they did allow discharge of co-signers on death of the student, the NYT would be running articles on how horrible NJHESAA was driving students to suicide.
I think that you missed the point of the article . . .

Old 07-04-2016, 09:04 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
I got the point. The point is NJHESAA loans money and is really aggressive about being paid back. Well, yeah; you borrow money, you're supposed to pay it back, according to the terms you agreed on.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:04 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,139 times
I didn't think this situation was anything new worth profiling, but student loans should come with a giant disclaimer "IF YOU DON'T MAKE PAYMENTS FOR ANY REASON AT ALL WE WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE!!!!"

Old 07-04-2016, 03:28 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
I agree, they are sharks. Since my 18th birthday until now I have exactly one deficiency On my credit report and it's from NJHESAA. Back when I had to write actual checks they were too incompetent to process them so instesd of asking and waiting for a another payment they reported me to collection reporting agencies. Also, their interest rates were the worst in the student loan market. It's paid off now but I should have never borrowed from them.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:21 PM

79 posts, read 95,981 times
Sxrew NJ HESAA. They cant get blood from a stone.

I have written a letter directing them to go **** themselves.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:37 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I got the point. The point is NJHESAA loans money and is really aggressive about being paid back. Well, yeah; you borrow money, you're supposed to pay it back, according to the terms you agreed on.

Bravo to NJ.

NY Times buried late in article, the cover photo mom is having no problem paying it back, and it is just $180 per month.

I am ashamed we have people like her who wish to welch on their obligations.

Loans are supposed to be paid back in full, with interest.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:32 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorbi82 View Post
Sxrew NJ HESAA. They cant get blood from a stone.
I have written a letter directing them to go **** themselves.
In the short-term, that is just fine and dandy.
However, on a long-range basis, when you need to obtain a mortgage or any other type of loan, your bad credit rating will disqualify you or--at the very least--cause you to pay a higher interest rate. You may even be denied certain rentals when you carry the stigma of a bad credit rating.

When you apply for a credit card, the same problems will occur. Even when applying for certain types of insurance and for many jobs, a credit check will be done, and you can find yourself being denied insurance or employment.

The bottom line is that there is no such thing as a free lunch, and this situation WILL haunt you for the rest of your existence.
At some point, you will need to make good on your loan commitment--or suffer the consequences in many different areas of your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: