Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 06:36 PM

37 posts, read 65,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
The Pascack Valley towns aren't much cheaper. With a lot of searching and work, you may be able to get something livable (livable, not turn-key) in Emerson, River Edge, or Westwood. Forget about it in the other towns.
Thanks a lot for your input. We liked Westwood and Hillsdale the most on that line. We need to do further research on schools in Westwood and Emerson, as the school don't seem to be rated all that high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Case Schiller is report you are looking for. The site below has the best information about the nj real estate market available to the public.

New Jersey Real Estate Report | Real Estate, Economics, and Politics

I'd suggest asking this the question on that blog as the people on it live and breath nj real estate. The blog author was featured twice in The New York Times.
Thank you. I will look into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 06:55 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,456,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxm9976 View Post
Thanks a lot for your input. We liked Westwood and Hillsdale the most on that line. We need to do further research on schools in Westwood and Emerson, as the school don't seem to be rated all that high.
I'm a teacher, OP, and I've worked in NJ schools at both extremes of the $$$ spectrum. Trust me, the schools in Westwood and Emerson are fine. The elementary and middle schools are all fairly comparable to other towns in the area.

Now thing take a bit of a turn at the high school level. Hillsdale's students go to a regional high school, Pascack Valley, which is considered more prestigious than Emerson and Westwood High Schools. A large part of that is due to the fact that the other towns making up the population of Pascack Valley High School, River Vale, Montvale, and Woodcliff Lake, are more affulent than Westwood, Hillsdale, or Emerson. Of course, that makes Hillsdale more expensive than Westwood or Emerson, even though they're pretty similar in terms of socioeconomic status.

But fretting over the differences between Pascack Valley High School, Emerson Jr./Sr. High School, and Westwood High School is like getting a bunch of Mensa members in a room and making fun of the guy with the 150 I.Q. because everyone else has an I.Q. in the 160-170 range. They're all very good schools.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
I'm a teacher, OP, and I've worked in NJ schools at both extremes of the $$$ spectrum. Trust me, the schools in Westwood and Emerson are fine. The elementary and middle schools are all fairly comparable to other towns in the area.

Now thing take a bit of a turn at the high school level. Hillsdale's students go to a regional high school, Pascack Valley, which is considered more prestigious than Emerson and Westwood High Schools. A large part of that is due to the fact that the other towns making up the population of Pascack Valley High School, River Vale, Montvale, and Woodcliff Lake, are more affulent than Westwood, Hillsdale, or Emerson. Of course, that makes Hillsdale more expensive than Westwood or Emerson, even though they're pretty similar in terms of socioeconomic status.

But fretting over the differences between Pascack Valley High School, Emerson Jr./Sr. High School, and Westwood High School is like getting a bunch of Mensa members in a room and making fun of the guy with the 150 I.Q. because everyone else has an I.Q. in the 160-170 range. They're all very good schools.
Thanks! Sometimes, I think we get carried away with the rankings, when in reality the difference between a 7 rating and 8 could be marginal. I guess it's all part of the game now. We also forget about the important role that the parents play in how well their kids do. And, of course, the kid has to have the goods, as well

Old 07-19-2016, 07:30 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxm9976 View Post
Thanks Kevin. Why wouldn't towns/counties share this info, even for a fee?
who is going to pay for it? The people that live there? They already bought a house without that info.

Who is going to gather and organize home costs for a town, separate out the commercial properties, run numbers against the estimated values, store and then distribute ask this information? And what if one town does it differently than another, are you going to complain about the lack of consistency?

If you're interested in paying fees, it seems like the best thing to do is hire researchers to gather and collate for you and then you could monetize that data.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
who is going to pay for it? The people that live there? They already bought a house without that info.

Who is going to gather and organize home costs for a town, separate out the commercial properties, run numbers against the estimated values, store and then distribute ask this information? And what if one town does it differently than another, are you going to complain about the lack of consistency?

If you're interested in paying fees, it seems like the best thing to do is hire researchers to gather and collate for you and then you could monetize that data.
Raw data is what I was referring to (I.e. List of sold properties, sales prices, housing stock, etc) NOT an analysis. They record and maintain this information already. Why not make it available to their residents and, perhaps, charge a fee to non-residents. THere is no need to get all defensive!

Old 07-19-2016, 08:51 AM

351 posts, read 481,465 times
Most likely because the old records are still on paper and it would cost money to input and store it electronically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey