U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 10:35 AM

3,858 posts, read 8,156,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
I am assuming you're talking about naturally occurring palm trees. To the best of my knowledge there aren't any for the vast majority of the state. If they occur anywhere I would assume it would be the southern tip, but they probably don't look like the ones from the tropics.
There are cold hardy palms (not native) that can survive in some areas, but NJ is far outside of the hardiness zones for most varieties of palms. I don't think you begin to see palms occurring naturally on the Eastern Seaboard until the Carolinas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 11:17 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,883,310 times
Sea Bright.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:21 PM

23,427 posts, read 22,406,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
I am assuming you're talking about naturally occurring palm trees. To the best of my knowledge there aren't any for the vast majority of the state. If they occur anywhere I would assume it would be the southern tip, but they probably don't look like the ones from the tropics.
Hardy palms will grow in New Jersey, but they're imported.

Hardy species of trees bring the tropics to Jersey | NJ.com

Old 07-21-2016, 01:25 AM

8,205 posts, read 10,392,850 times
Oh,i see the palms are smaller here.

I already knew they were imported. They just do not look natural,at least from the pics i saw.

I guess my mom won't be able to take a picture and post on Facebook that she was on some exotic island when she was really on a Nj beach.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:35 AM

839 posts, read 1,753,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Oh,i see the palms are smaller here.

I already knew they were imported. They just do not look natural,at least from the pics i saw.

I guess my mom won't be able to take a picture and post on Facebook that she was on some exotic island when she was really on a Nj beach.
Who's she trying to fool? My suggestion is photoshop or a trip to Key West.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:55 AM

620 posts, read 383,786 times
they plant them there like a annual, plant in may and they last until frost in November or so,
look kool in summertime, I have seen houses at shore with palms also, some people spend big money
to have the tropical look for summer.
as for palms in nj they will not survive our winters, there are some cold hardy types like windmill palms
but even they will not survive without being protected and having some heat source like a light bulb
or heat tape during freezing temperatures.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:11 PM

500 posts, read 1,232,925 times
Before the whole "palm trees can thrive in Jersey" thing, the only palm trees I ever saw in the NYC tri-state area were the ones in the glassy atrium in the World Trade Center, pre-9/11.

I'd have to say, it did take me quite awhile to get use to seeing palm trees in New Jersey. At the shore, it took me a good one year to finally accept seeing palm trees. It really does give the Shore a "tropical" feel, and I had to let that sink in slowly. I mean, it's fine to me. They're by the beach. It's good that in the Wildwoods, they stay true to their plastic palm trees.

In central Jersey, it took me two years to get use to seeing palm trees there. I'm not kidding that you can find some in-land places with palm trees, should a business choose to plant them in their ground during the non-winter months.

In Bergen County, it also took me an year to get use to seeing non-hardy palms in certain shopping areas. I'm already use to seeing hardy palms all over the state in people's yards.

In Edgewater, on River Rd., there's this Cuban restaurant. One particular year, the owner decided to put a potted palm tree in its outdoor seating area. He kept it there until it was almost winter time. Yeah.... Just let the palm tree die by the time it's almost January. The next year, I noticed the owner put two palm trees out. I was quite amused by this whenever passing by. This year? The owner decided to get even bolder. He put four palm trees out. I look forward to seeing how long he plans on keeping them out there for.

(I'm kind of glad that engineered non-hardy palms don't exist. To emphasize on that: non-hardy palms chemically changed to withstand cold climates. It would ruin the characteristic of states that don't have natural palm trees. California may be the only exception, because of the desert climate....)

Old 08-01-2016, 05:44 AM

620 posts, read 383,786 times
we had a couple of rough winters with "polar vortex" conditions over the last 3 years, no palms can withstand temperatures in single digits for days straight.

there are some people on youtube who grow windmill palms as far north as montreal, but have some kind of shelters for them with heat so they can survive winter, which is what would be needed in new jersey for them to survive.

I did have a needle palm in the ground for about 5 years, I would tie it together, put a tomato cage around it and stuff leaves
in it for winter, we had extreme lows in winter of 2014/2015, so it did not survive but it did last about 5 years.

Old Today, 04:38 AM

14,365 posts, read 4,454,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTPALMLLC View Post
www.ctpalmtrees.com for the non haters of palm trees in nj!
Seriously , after 2 1/2 years???

Old Today, 10:15 AM

840 posts, read 657,332 times
NJ does not have palm trees. A few businesses and bars may plant them on the beaches to give it a "tropical feel" but they are removed after summer ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey