Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,780 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Jersey City this summer from California for work and have been looking at different places to live. I do not mind commuting less than 30 minutes to work or a little longer. I just graduated college and plan on living with a friend and we are looking at a 2bd apartment or maybe a small house in the $1000-1500 range, or a 3bd for 500 more and just get another roomate. Safe parking is critical as my car is my precious baby. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 02:42 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,476 times
If your cars very important to you i highly recommend a parking garage or something like that. In fact ive had more break in problems in the "nicer" areas than the seedy areas. Im sure someone will chime in and say youll be fine, im just speaking for myself based on my own experience. I know it sucks shelling out big bucks every month for parking but overall its worth it because if you have a nice car or any car for that matter I can almost garauntee it will be broken into.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:18 PM

828 posts, read 3,137,831 times
Ok, you will not like JC and there is a great chance that your car will not like it either.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:55 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,538 times
I also agree that given your desires, you're going to have to get a garage if you live in Jersey City. I don't agree that your car is likely to be broken into or stolen, although certainly neither is impossible (and the probability also has to do with just what kind of car you have), but it's far more likely to be bumped, dinged, dented or scratched. Many times I've seen people judge their parallel parking by bumping into the car behind and in front of them. I've seen people set things on strangers cars, sit on them, put their foot on them to tie their shoes, accidentally scrape against them when cleaning up snow, etc. Unless you're very diligent about it, you're also likely to get some parking tickets. Even only parking in the street occasionally now, I've also had my car dented (someone put or pressed something on the hood), I've had plenty of tickets, and I was even booted once (although the latter happened to me in Manhattan instead--and there, it ended up costing me about $400 to get my car back). You also have to be careful that you can get a ticket and not know about it--whether the ticket is stolen or whatever. That happened to us recently--we had a ticket that we didn't know anything about until we finally received a "second notice" in the mail that my wife's driver's license was about to be suspended if we didn't take care of it (by either paying it or contesting it in court).

I have a garage and it costs $180 per month. I think you can find cheaper garages and parking lots around, but probably not much under $150 per month. I pay a bit more because I wanted a covered space, so the sun isn't always beating on my car, it doesn't sit with snow on it, etc.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:30 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxdef10 View Post
I am moving to Jersey City this summer from California for work and have been looking at different places to live. I do not mind commuting less than 30 minutes to work or a little longer. I just graduated college and plan on living with a friend and we are looking at a 2bd apartment or maybe a small house in the $1000-1500 range, or a 3bd for 500 more and just get another roomate. Safe parking is critical as my car is my precious baby. Thanks in advance!
I assume your job will be in JC, if so i would urge you to find a place other than JC to live in, JC is a typical old run down town with all the problems that come with a decaying urban area.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:41 AM

If I were you I would defenitly look into someplace else on the hudson. Edgewater is probebly alittle more pricey than downtown (or maybe the same im not sure) but the overall quality of life is way better there. May I ask why you chose jersey city, im still wondering why people choose to go here over all the other north jersey towns. Ive been living in Jersey City on and off for many year and still cannot fathom what is so appealing alll of a sudden about this place. Years ago you'd get laughed at or someone would role their eyes if you said your from Jersey City so why is it now a cool place to be, just very curious. Is it all the ugly condos being built downtown? I dont know im baffeld.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:48 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,632,267 times
^^^ Same reason why people are flocking to NYC. I can't imagine why some people would want to move to "hip" areas of Brooklyn, Queens or even Manhattan. If you think JC is bad, try living in "East Williamsburg" (Bushwick)

Old 02-21-2008, 12:28 PM

JC bad as in crime and overallall seedy looking or bad as in alot of hipsters downtown? Cause I know williamsburg as that hipster problem and I dont think bushwick does unless they migrated tehre too.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:00 AM

2 posts, read 5,780 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. Actually I am moving to Jersey City for the work not to live, I was looking for cities around jersey city to live that would be safe. If you know any of those let me know, thanks! you are all so helpful

Old 02-22-2008, 05:07 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
If I were you I would defenitly look into someplace else on the hudson. Edgewater is probebly alittle more pricey than downtown (or maybe the same im not sure) but the overall quality of life is way better there. May I ask why you chose jersey city, im still wondering why people choose to go here over all the other north jersey towns. Ive been living in Jersey City on and off for many year and still cannot fathom what is so appealing alll of a sudden about this place. Years ago you'd get laughed at or someone would role their eyes if you said your from Jersey City so why is it now a cool place to be, just very curious. Is it all the ugly condos being built downtown? I dont know im baffeld.
Well, I don't get why Edgewater, say, would be any better than Jersey City. How would for example MY quality of life be different there? Plus, there's not really anything in Edgewater that I would bother going to, not living there--I don't think I've ever visited anyplace there, although I've certainly driven through it. There are places I'd visit in Jersey City if I didn't live there, including Liberty State Park, the art museum, the mall, the Exchange Place area/waterfront, Little India, etc. Edgewater is also much less convenient for getting back and forth to New York City, and it would definitely be less convenient for getting to and from Jersey City if one were working there. The only advantage I can see for me to Edgewater would be that it's within a reasonable (although not great--Fort Lee, Englewood Cliffs, etc. would be better) walking distance to Palisades Interstate Park. People aren't asking about moving to Jersey City from the late 1960s through the early 90s. They asking about it now.

It would be like saying that Times Square is a crime-ridden dump, full of hookers and adult bookstores. All that tells us is that the person hasn't visited Times Square for maybe 20 years, or just has an image of it from movies like Taxi Driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey