Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2016, 05:54 AM

21 posts, read 22,408 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I've just stopped by for some life advice, because I feel that I'm at a bit of a crossroads.

For some background, I will be moving back to Belleville on August 3rd, as I've just finished a Bachelor's degree (B.A., so it's nothing too marketable like engineering) program in Arizona. I'm going to be living with my aunt and uncle for a little while, until I get off of my feet. I've given myself a soft deadline of about 5-6 months to get moved out of their house, or else I was probably going to move back to Arizona.

Anyway, I've been submitting resumes to some local companies, and I was actually offered a job by this small IT company based out of Nutley. I was talking with them on the phone, and they said it would be a sales job, but trying to bring entire companies in as clients - not just your typical telemarketing. It sounds like an interesting job, because I'm very honed in on the IT field, and it could be a nice fit. Now for the catch: they're only offering around $30k as a base salary, plus commission. I could be wrong, but there's no way that $30,000/year is enough to move out of my aunt's place within my deadline of 6 months, right? I would be sticking to Belleville or Nutley, and even studios around there run nearly $1000/month as it is. I'm looking for a career that has some actual upwards mobility, and I'm not sure what to expect from this sales position, on top of what I imagine is a terrible base salary to make a living off of. I'm also single, but won't have a car, so I'm also looking to eventually buy one.

I suppose my question is: if you were in my position, what would you do? I could probably find a job with some insurance company or somewhere similar, and bring in close to $50k/year, but that sounds like a complete soul drain. Should I at least schedule an interview with the IT company to see what they're about (I'm supposed to call tomorrow to set up an interview)? I don't imagine I have any sort of negotiating leverage, so I don't plan on getting any more than what was originally offered. I feel like I might regret turning down a potentially very interesting job, that could have a lot of earning potential, as I'd be their sole salesman. Everything about the position sounds right up my alley, except for the salary. I can't pay my rent off of a job just being interesting. I'm not even living there yet, so maybe if I would just step back for a month, not take the first offer, and wait for other offers to come my way, it might be wiser?

Also, staying/moving back to Arizona before the deadline is not even an option. New Jersey is where home is, for me, so I'd like to try and make it work.

I'm sorry if this sounds hastily written. I've been up all night thinking about what I'm going to do, so I'm not the most coherent at the moment.

Thank you, and I appreciate any advice you would have for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 06:03 AM

254 posts, read 193,471 times
Yeah, schedule the interview. If you like the job, you can make it work. You can live on $30K, but it's going to be a frugal life. Sounds like housing costs would take about half of your income, but they would also be your biggest expense. Also, nobody but yourself said you had to move out of your aunt's place, so you could potentially just stay there until you've saved up more. As for a car, you can get a cheap used car, like a Civic for not much at all.

If you want to wait for other job offers, you obviously can, but that's assuming you get other ones. Either way, no harm in going on an interview.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:28 AM

291 posts, read 977,096 times
Definitely schedule the interview. If nothing else, it's good practice. As for the job, if you truly think it would be a good fit, then find out more about the commission structure, their offerings, and what they'd expect of you (as well as benefits). Also consider whether you think you'd be a good fit for a sales job. For a job with decent benefits and true commission potential, it might be worth exploring, if the idea of sales appeals to you at all.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:18 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,491 times
You're not a salesman. Proof? You're focused on the $30K base salary with no confidence that you'll earn any commission! If you can't sell yourself on that confidence, you won't be any good selling your employer's products/services.

Find the soul-drain job in which you can earn enough to pay your bills. Then figure out how to progress to a more satisfying career. (Incidentally, you tell us that you didn't major in engineering. What did you major in?)

Old 07-24-2016, 09:17 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Definitely schedule the interview and find out all you can about the commission and what the work-booked targets are. You could more than double that base salary if the commission is good and you have a good year bringing in clients.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:59 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Well I mean it really depends on what the commission structure looks like and whether you think you would be good at being a salesperson. If they are a legitimate operation and you are the sole salesperson, you should have a lot of earning potential beyond the 30k base as you say.

30k alone is enough to be on your own in a roommate situation. I would interview and see what the job is about. Seems like there is some potential.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:47 AM

5,150 posts, read 3,758,340 times
What makes you think you can make 1K a week working for an insurance company? Doing what?

Old 07-24-2016, 07:30 PM

610 posts, read 533,177 times
Here are a few thoughts. In any event, you should at least go to the interview, any experience at your level is good.

>>>Don't worry about the 30K base. Either you'll earn more through sales or you'll be outta there quick.

>>>I'd be a bit concerned about a company that hires a rookie to be their sole salesman. They may be small, have limited finances or have had turnover in the position. You should satisfy yourself about he stability of the position and of the company.

>>>If you're the only salesman, you may not have a "mentor". That would be important to a young person starting out in business, doing something they've never done before (and successful marketing is not easy). You don't want to go in and be handed a list of contacts and a phone and left to yourself. You should look into this aspect carefully.

None of this is to say you shouldn't look into the job, it may actually be great. And if not, you're young and can take a risk. You need to build experience. Good luck. PS I lived in apartments on River Road many years ago, it was a pretty nice area, if you want to settle there.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:32 PM

8 posts, read 7,550 times
Schedule an interview for practice. The salary is ridiculously low for IT. Try looking for a job in NYC or Philadelphia.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:34 PM

351 posts, read 482,269 times
You need to find out if you will be getting health benefits. Many times on commission based positions, you are hired as an independent contractor with no benefits. Oftentimes, that salary is a draw against your commission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey