Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 07:38 AM

538 posts, read 733,404 times

Advertisements

Regardless of the fact that an area of East Orange near that house looks less inviting than the area of Orange that you're looking at (which is easily the best area of those two towns) currently East Orange is in better shape than Orange as a whole. So while you'll have a nice house, it will be in a small municipality which currently has a lot of problems.

Seven Oaks is essentially the buffer zone between downtown Orange, which is probably worse looking than the area of East Orange that I'm imagining you're looking at, and South Orange's Montrose neighborhood which is full of large historic homes.

The school system in Orange isn't one that's going to be on anyone's list of districts they would aim to put their kids in. There are nearby towns with better schools, although prices and taxes are higher. But if you're looking at things from an overall budget where you'll be paying for private school in Orange then you might be able to justify spending more on the house/taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 11:59 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,592 times
You may put your child in private school but think about their ability to make friends and socialize close to home. My child goes to the local neighborhood school but we are still 2 miles away. Our neighborhood has few kids and to me this is my biggest regret but I owned the house years before I had kids and moving isn't an option.

Luckily my kid plays sports in our town and participates in other town activities so she has tons of friends in town. It's also safe enough to ride bicycles, go to the local park, etc.

Are those things you will want for your child? Will you have that in Orange?

Little ones become big very fast and these things become important before you know it.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:55 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,043 times
Yeah, um from experience if you ever plan on having kids the cost of private school would exceed your property taxes. My old house was in an okay town on a great block but private school would be too much money and not worth staying in my house so I moved to a great town, pay 2k a year more in taxes but the neighborhood and schools are top notch and I dont have to see trash when I leave my street.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:39 AM

445 posts, read 586,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
There have been 3 shootings, 2 deadly, in Orange just in the past few days. Avoid it at all cost.

1 dead in Orange shooting, city's 2nd killing in a week | NJ.com
The corruption at city hall doesn't help either.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:00 AM

224 posts, read 247,269 times
Thanks everyone I thought I would be able to put my son in a school not too far about 5 min drive in West Orange but it looks like your kids have to stay in their zoned school area.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:51 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbondone View Post
Thanks everyone I thought I would be able to put my son in a school not too far about 5 min drive in West Orange but it looks like your kids have to stay in their zoned school area.
None of these towns have a send/receive student relationship. If you live in Orange you are zoned to the schools in that municipality there is no way to pay into another municipalities school.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:38 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbondone View Post
True, but you can buy a house in West Orange for not much more than that.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,595 times
Default Seven Oaks-right Now!

In 2016, I purchased my home in the Seven Oaks section of Orange, NJ. I can honesty say that the neighborhood is great!! I have neighbors who care about the community the streets are constantly clean. Orange is what I would call "A tale of two cities in one"- The north side of town is quite different- the quality of homes (homes are rundown). The downtown area is definitely safe with a clear urban feel (type of shopping located there), the area around the train station has been cleaned up with new buildings and great lighting. Orange once had a crime problem in the North side of town but has gotten MUCH better over the past 6-8 years. The south side of town is clearly the place to be in town. I live down the block from my Counsel person and he is very in tune with the wants and needs of the people who voted for him. I don't know much about the school system except to say that school dismissals are always organized and non-confrontational. Orange is better than where I moved from- East Orange.

My Rating on the scale of 1-10 (10 being the best):

Seven Oaks- 8.5
Orange on a whole-7.5
East Orange on a whole-4.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:30 AM

32 posts, read 50,737 times
I'm going to reply to the Seven Oaks queries on City-data even though they're old. The people who are replying, saying, basically, 'just don't' clearly have no idea about this area. nybbler said Orange never had glory days. He or she should actually drive around Seven Oaks and see the beautiful streets and homes here. We moved here a couple of years ago.

Who are my neighbors? A lawyer, an accountant, a couple of physicians, a writer. Here's a house that's for sale at 214 Elmwyd Dr. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...zm/0_mmm/1_rs/ That house listed at 749K would be at least double the price just blocks from here in South Orange. There are many beautiful houses in the 300-450K range as well.

Yes, City of Orange does have high crime but when we spoke to police about the crime rate in Seven Oaks they said it was similar to SO and not like other areas of Orange. You're just as close to bad areas here as you are in some parts of the other Oranges.

People please, don't let your knee jerk biases color what actually is a wonderful area that is more affordable than a couple of blocks from here.

And no I'm not a RE agent. I just don't like to see people talking trash about this very lovely area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey