Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,726 times

Advertisements

I may be relocating from Sweden to NJ in a few months with my wife and our kid. My job would be in Parsippany but if possible I would like to live closer to NYC, along any of the commuter train lines with more or less easy access to NYC (for my wife, I will be commuting to Parsippany by car). What we would like is to rent a house in a nice and safe area, we don't mind if it's small but we would like that it's in good conditions and in a nice setting.

From what I've seen from the train, South Orange looks nice as do other places towards the west/north-west along that line. Am I correct, and what other places would be worth having a look at? Is it realistic to think that we would be able to find something like this for 2500-3000 $/month?

Any input is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 01:46 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
South Orange and Maplewood are nice. The commute to the city is about 25-30 min. I think by car it would be about 40 min to Parsippany though. I think towns like Morristown and Madison might be closer and still on the train line to the city. Both are very nice. I believe you could find rentals for that cost in South Orange but I'm not sure about Morristown or Madison as I've never lived in either.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,729 times
I would not recomend living in South Orange. That town is not that safe to live in and the town does not have much to offer. Mapplewood is more expensive but much nicer, clean, and has a nice downtown.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:28 AM

202 posts, read 992,997 times
A large part of Maplewood is influenced by where it borders on Newark and Irvington, both of which are pretty bad. I'm surprised you're saying that South Orange is that much worse. Both towns have good areas and not-as-good areas.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:32 PM

109 posts, read 477,711 times
Maplewood and south Orange are not good choices, high crime rate!!!!

Madison is an excellant choice. Consider Lincoln Park NJ (40minutes)and Nutley NJ (15 minutes)is very nice community with a train station.If you have children for the better schools stay with Madison.

Goodluck

Old 12-01-2006, 10:58 PM

180 posts, read 634,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
South Orange and Maplewood are nice. The commute to the city is about 25-30 min. I think by car it would be about 40 min to Parsippany though. I think towns like Morristown and Madison might be closer and still on the train line to the city. Both are very nice. I believe you could find rentals for that cost in South Orange but I'm not sure about Morristown or Madison as I've never lived in either.
I currently live in Madison. Morristown / Madison is very close to Parsippany - I think 10 min or less by car if I remember what a friend who lives in Morristown & works in Parsippany. NYC is 50 min from Madison by train & 55 min from Morristown by train. I think there is an express train twice a day that stops in Madison that is 30 or 40 min to NYC. Morristown / Madison are very nice, actually quite picturesque. Madison almost reminds me of a 50's movie set in a small town. Both are also very safe places. On the negetive side, they're a bit more expensive than most other areas in NJ that are as far from NYC as they are.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:18 AM

15 posts, read 97,879 times
Swedenguy, I have a really nice clean home for rent in Parsippany. Newly
renovated, new kitchen, granite counter tops, ceramic floors new windows,
doors. You'll love it. I commuted all summer to New York City and it was
not a problem. Contact me if your interested at CovNaCap@aol.com and
I will tell you more.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:38 PM

59 posts, read 241,513 times
Montclair, Veronica, Cedar Grove, Caldwell, North Caldwell, West Caldwell, Roseland, Livingston, Montville, Towaco or Pinebrook. All these towns are all near to Parsippany

Old 03-13-2007, 04:13 PM

359 posts, read 2,593,192 times
How could you say that South Orange and Maplewood have high crime rates. Where did you grow up? I would say that Maplewood has questionable parts near some of the borders but even by the borders South Orange is still safe. And also has alot to offer if you are an Artsy person.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:03 PM

15 posts, read 97,879 times
Meyersd, your absolutly right except for Veronica, its Verona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey