Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 10:45 PM

237 posts, read 482,356 times

Advertisements

Monmouth County just feels a little sleepier and further removed from the "action" than North Jersey or even neighboring Middlesex County, even if the commute isn't all that much worse...not saying that's a bad thing, I'd venture that's what a lot of people love about it. But it's a different vibe than the "hot" towns of North Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 11:58 AM

968 posts, read 1,140,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare727 View Post
Monmouth County just feels a little sleepier and further removed from the "action" than North Jersey or even neighboring Middlesex County, even if the commute isn't all that much worse...not saying that's a bad thing, I'd venture that's what a lot of people love about it. But it's a different vibe than the "hot" towns of North Jersey.
Sure, I won't argue that. The people that like it moved there from the south shore of Staten Island because they want space, and you also have that Jersey Shore territoriality and the territoriality of the locals who've been in the area for several generations clashing with the SI element and all the drama that goes with it, making it a rather unpleasant place in my experience.

As for Middlesex County, I hated living in Sayreville. But that town is absolutely sub-par compared to others in the area. Couldn't really complain about Middlesex as a whole apart from the congestion and overdevelopment and skyrocketing cost of living.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:56 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Sure, I won't argue that. The people that like it moved there from the south shore of Staten Island because they want space, and you also have that Jersey Shore territoriality and the territoriality of the locals who've been in the area for several generations clashing with the SI element and all the drama that goes with it, making it a rather unpleasant place in my experience.

As for Middlesex County, I hated living in Sayreville. But that town is absolutely sub-par compared to others in the area. Couldn't really complain about Middlesex as a whole apart from the congestion and overdevelopment and skyrocketing cost of living.
where do you live now? what do you think of it?

Old 08-11-2016, 01:14 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,457,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post

As for Middlesex, I'm reminded of the quote "Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln??"

As a former SI'er who moved to Monmouth county, escape the SI mentality (won't disagree with you there) I've had absolutely no issue with any of the people who lived there for multiple generations, no drama at all...which is why we moved there in the first place...

I don't care to get in another flame war with you, but you seem to show up on every Monmouth County thread possible to bash it...Is it perfect, no, of course not....but we moved here for great schools, open space, access to parks and the shore, decent enough commute, and a more laid back pace....liked Morris county but a bit too far out and crowded in the towns in our budget...Union county was too crowded for us esp in our budget; very opposite of "laid back".

Holmdel is a great town, one of the best in the state...low crime, great schools, plenty of shopping, access to transportation, PNC for concerts, not far from the beach....might be too rural for some...but I can't see bashing it....

Old 08-11-2016, 02:27 PM

48 posts, read 67,795 times
Newsweek just published its list of the top 500 high schools in the United States. Holmdel is #91; Livingston is #383. Just pointing that out because earlier someone mentioned a Niche list which showed Livingston ahead of Holmdel.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:35 PM

351 posts, read 482,016 times
Newsweek is ridiculous, they had Millburn at 13 last year and this year it's not even on the list.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:35 PM

48 posts, read 67,795 times
Same thing could be said about most of these lists; I'm sure that Niche is no more reliable than Newsweek. Statistics are open to interpretation.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
where do you live now? what do you think of it?
In Pennsylvania, about 10 miles north of the city limits of Philadelphia. Loving every minute of it. Less traffic, friendly people, I drive 10 miles one way I'm in the city, 10 miles the other way I'm in a beautiful picturesque area with rolling hills and pleasant scenery and artsy little towns like New Hope and Lahaska. Moving here was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Holmdel is a great town, one of the best in the state...low crime, great schools, plenty of shopping, access to transportation, PNC for concerts, not far from the beach....might be too rural for some...but I can't see bashing it....
I wasn't bashing it. It probably is a great town. I was just explaining why it would not be as "hot" as places further north in a more convenient location for commuting purposes and such.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:40 AM

18,461 posts, read 15,240,962 times
I think both towns have great school districts, so I think it is more about location. Livingston is in the center of a triangle made up by Montclair, Summit, and Morristown. None of those towns is more than 15 minutes away, which leaves a lot of options for night life.

Also, a lot of people want to be able to pop into NYC for dinners, parties, concerts, Broadway. During non rush hour times, I am driving through the Lincoln Tunnel 30-40 minutes after leaving Livingston. And after a late night in the city, the last thing I would want to do is drive all the way down to Holmdel. In the middle of the night, with no traffic, I am home in a half hour, tops.

To many people, this is not important, and for them, Holmdel is fine. But if you want that convenience, you have to pay a premium.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 08-12-2016 at 06:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey