Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 8,695 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family is looking to move into Bergen county and two of our top priorities are school system and commute into the city. Our budget is $800k (3-4 bedroom,2 bathroom). Right now our list includes Glen Rock, Ho Ho Kus, Oradell and River Edge. I know Ridgewood is a great town too but I feel like taxes are even crazier there. Maybe not?

I do like proximity to the GSP as we have a lot of out of town friends and family and I find everyone is a lot happier visiting us since we moved to Bloomfield and are about 1 mile from the GSP. I realize Glen Rock isn't as close to the GSP as the other towns. Also, being in Bloomfield, my husband's commute into mid-town is under an hour door to door - with about 30ish mins on the bus. He realizes this commute will increase but looking at the bus schedules from the towns I mentioned it appears he would be on the bus for under 45 mins which is great.

Although it's not a huge priority I will say we enjoy eating out especially all the restaurants in Montclair on a regular basis. And being able to enjoy events and activities for young kids would be a great plus! (like parades, clubs, classes, etc).

Any insight would be appreciated! I realize nowhere is totally perfect Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 04:11 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Glen Rock is an easy shot to the Parkway. Just down 208 to Saddle River Road/Paramus Road and boom you're on in less than ten minutes.

Ridgewood has tons of great restaurants, and there are many others in NW Bergen County, so that's easy enough, and all the towns will have the activities you want for the kids. You just have to look into the train and bus commutes and see what works. Glen Rock and HHK are on the Bergen/Main train lines, so more service than River Edge and Oradell which are on Pascack Valley. Frequent bus service for them, too, though I don't know anything about buses from RE and Oradell.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:31 AM

74 posts, read 73,924 times
All excellent towns. It really depends what you're looking for. Ridgewood and Glen Rock have the best downtowns, if that is important to you. I believe they also have the highest propery taxes, along with Oradell.
All of the school districts are excellent, you won't go wrong with any. Although I've heard Ridgewood is insanely competitive and it's a very pressuring atmosphere.

Ho Ho Kus is probably the most expensive town on your list in terms of home prices. You could find something nice in Ridgewood, Oradell and Glen Rock. You will definitely get the most house for your money in River Edge. It's also the most down-to-earth town, as the other towns have a reputation for being snobby.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Old 08-16-2016, 10:16 AM

380 posts, read 607,634 times
Those at all great towns. As mentioned, HHK is the wealthiest town with likely the best schools (Northern Highlands) and lowest taxes. Ridgewood has hands down the best downtown, Glen Rock is also nice but it doesnt compare. Oradell and River Edge while nice, are probably on the low end for your budget, and I really wouldn't consider them unless you want one of the most expensive homes in town.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:36 PM

3 posts, read 8,695 times
Great information and things to consider! I didn't realize Glen Rock was that easy to get to from the Parkway - that's good news. I do see home prices are more in HHK, however taxes are less so I kept them on my list for that reason. I have heard great things about Ridgewood and it's downtown, however it does seem to have a reputation for very competitive schools and some snobbery.

I probably don't want to have one of the most expensive homes in town so while we may still consider Oradell I will probably not look as much in River Edge. I really appreciate the feedback!!

Old 08-16-2016, 04:14 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,345 times
Personally I don't care for River Edge because there is no real supermarket close by except for the Whole Foods in Paramus (although if you have a budget of 800k for a house that will probably not be an issue) and the Shop Rite in Paramus is absolutely ape s--t at all hours of the day. Also you get lots of spillover from the horrible Paramus traffic in River Edge. So, I would opt for the other towns.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRhodyGal View Post
Great information and things to consider! I didn't realize Glen Rock was that easy to get to from the Parkway - that's good news. I do see home prices are more in HHK, however taxes are less so I kept them on my list for that reason. I have heard great things about Ridgewood and it's downtown, however it does seem to have a reputation for very competitive schools and some snobbery.

I probably don't want to have one of the most expensive homes in town so while we may still consider Oradell I will probably not look as much in River Edge. I really appreciate the feedback!!
The HHK schools will at be least as good as Ridgewood, if not better. HHK feeds into Northern Highlands HS which usually ranks similar or above RW. I think the atmosphere in Northern Highlands may actually be less cutthroat than Ridgewood. In addition to HHK, the high school has students from
Upper Saddle River, Allendale, and Saddle River (though I would venture a good portion of SR kids go to private or boarding school). If you can deal with a couple extra train stops, you may want to consider Allendale-same hs as HHK, decent downtown, somewhat lower house prices and easy access to route 17 and gsp.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:57 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,076 times
WOW what a nice problem to have.....ha. All great towns with great schools, but my vote would be between Glen Rock and Oradell. HHK is the wealthiest of all four, but the prop taxes are really high, and that would bother me because I'm not sure why you would have to pay more into property taxes for the same or similar services/amenities as most towns in that area. Oradell, esp if you look into the homes off of Soldier Hill RD, or near Prospect, I find that to be a wonderful place to live. Could walk to the train station, walk to downtown Oradell, schools and parks. Best of Luck

Old 09-26-2016, 10:06 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
WOW what a nice problem to have.....ha. All great towns with great schools, but my vote would be between Glen Rock and Oradell. HHK is the wealthiest of all four, but the prop taxes are really high, and that would bother me because I'm not sure why you would have to pay more into property taxes for the same or similar services/amenities as most towns in that area. Oradell, esp if you look into the homes off of Soldier Hill RD, or near Prospect, I find that to be a wonderful place to live. Could walk to the train station, walk to downtown Oradell, schools and parks. Best of Luck
Um, Ho-Ho-Kus has the lowest tax rates out of all the towns the OP mentioned....

Old 09-26-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Um, Ho-Ho-Kus has the lowest tax rates out of all the towns the OP mentioned....
This is true. I'm not sure what that posters logic was in knocking Hhk for tax rates while the other towns have higher rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey