Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 08:19 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,956,872 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's NJ that's in your blood-probably just heavy metals like lead, cadmium, and chromate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 08:48 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times
you could have a tumor

Old 08-17-2016, 09:11 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,305,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I've moved from NJ to many states,and many times I've heard 'what an attitude' or 'you're so negative'...hey that's what I'm used to where I'm from. We call it bluntly and that's the way it is,if softies can't handle it too bad...I'm tired of trying to explain myself or act like locals. If I'm an island unto myself wherever I live then so be it.
My point is that those things can be interpreted as 'negative' by people in other states who are not familiar with the way of life there...
On one hand, like others have suggested, be slow to blame all of your social misfit on your NJ heritage. Know thyself! Maybe you do have a problem.

On the other hand, you're absolutely correct about Jersey frankness. People in other parts of the country struggle with our directness and automatically deem it rude.

Why? It's about values. My observation is that in The South, for example, politeness is a greater value than truth. Therefore, the latter is told with faux cordiality; such as, "Oh, isn't that dress the prettiest thing?" while we clearly see it as ugly as sin!

You may not wish to adopt their ways, but maybe you want to taper your ugly as sin comments a bit?

Old 08-17-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Why? It's about values. My observation is that in The South, for example, politeness is a greater value than truth. Therefore, the latter is told with faux cordiality; such as, "Oh, isn't that dress the prettiest thing?" while we clearly see it as ugly as sin!

You may not wish to adopt their ways, but maybe you want to taper your ugly as sin comments a bit?
but nobody is telling other people their dress is ugly, even in nj. i always say that when you get an excessive amount of compliments for something, its probably because it stands out not because it is attractive (usually in a bad or neutral way).

the OP says that people say he is negative or has an attitude. that doesnt mean direct to me. that means miserable jerk to me.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:33 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,936,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
This really irks me. If I'm not paying attention and the light turns green then by all means, honk the horn. But I find a lot of the time they honk the horn within a second of it turning green. Jerks.
That's when you go slow for a little while to annoy them.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
That's when you go slow for a little while to annoy them.
the problem is that most people get too upset to mess with the a-holes.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:59 PM

23,433 posts, read 17,113,855 times
Don't move on a green within a second and you deserve a honk. This is NJ! not souix falls SD.

we have been trained by munis setting amber lights short to give tickets, so when we get a green, we go...but not before looking both ways. We enjoy sitting at lights that turn green for the side with no cars, while we sit there waiting for the invisible cars to ake their turn. We love the ultra short green lights, so when a fumbler on the starting line is daydreaming we get to sit through another red to green cycle. We got to get home and pee, older generation on the roads.

Exception of a negative tude is newark nj where all the trough feeders always claim newark is improving as they step over bodies in the street.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:00 AM

74 posts, read 73,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
On one hand, like others have suggested, be slow to blame all of your social misfit on your NJ heritage. Know thyself! Maybe you do have a problem.

On the other hand, you're absolutely correct about Jersey frankness. People in other parts of the country struggle with our directness and automatically deem it rude.

Exactly. One thing is being honest/direct and another being a jerk. Being rude or using profanity is uncalled for and unacceptable, regardless of where you are or from.

I am considered by most as a nice person, but my "Jersey" comes out on the road.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:03 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,936,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Don't move on a green within a second and you deserve a honk. This is NJ! not souix falls SD.

we have been trained by munis setting amber lights short to give tickets, so when we get a green, we go...but not before looking both ways. We enjoy sitting at lights that turn green for the side with no cars, while we sit there waiting for the invisible cars to ake their turn. We love the ultra short green lights, so when a fumbler on the starting line is daydreaming we get to sit through another red to green cycle. We got to get home and pee, older generation on the roads.

Exception of a negative tude is newark nj where all the trough feeders always claim newark is improving as they step over bodies in the street.
Haha!

Old 08-18-2016, 08:00 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,411,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

That's just idiocy and delusional,much like I faced when I was in Philly...seems any cities with big problems just give up and ignore the obvious.

Anyway I was just looking at Sioux City as one of my western locations as I enjoy the weather out here most of all,but WA is just too far from home out east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey